Author Topic: Offensive and Defensive Linemen  (Read 3951 times)

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Coordinator
Re: Offensive and Defensive Linemen
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2017, 03:10:27 PM »
You are making it too complicated :)

Jack
I tend to do that.  :D Last question, When the boys push the bag are they hitting the bag with their fingers down and their thumbs up or fingers up and thumbs down?

Offline coachgregory

• Gold
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Other
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2017, 05:15:48 PM »
I tend to do that.  :D Last question, When the boys push the bag are they hitting the bag with their fingers down and their thumbs up or fingers up and thumbs down?

I prefer their palms up, thumbs up, finger together and up.  I have found this tends to ensure they don't get caught in the cloth on the initial punch after that I want them to lock on to the plate.  Keep elbows in and push...

Any pulling, elbows out, tugging we stop and correct.
Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

Offline Coach Brad

• Copper
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Pistol
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2017, 05:44:07 PM »
Sorry I don't.  I started doing it last season and never took any film.  Might try and snag some off my phone this week if we get to work on it.

Here is a quick diagram:

--------------------------------------D------------------------
--------------------------------------B
--------------------------------^----------^
-----------------------------------coach

The Blocker sets up in his third step (GO STEP) and is locked on to the chest plate.  On coaches signal, the Defender moves either left or right attempting to get to the cone.  This is important we use a visual signal so that the blocker can't see it or hear it.  THis gives the advantage to the defender as we want him to get by.  The Blocker must immediately GO step and drive the defender back but if the defender gets by (and he will with the queue advantage) the blocker must immediately begin pushing him towards and past the cone.  If the defender reaches the cone and anchors the defender wins (stimulates him getting to the ball and making a play) but if the blocker drives him completely past the cone in one movement the blocker wins. 

It is a competitive drill but it teaches the blockers to not pull but push no matter what the defender does. 

Keys to win:
1) Elbows inside (elbows on rib cage - gives you more power as your body is behind your hands)
2) Palms on plate/thumbs  (lock in and squeeze the plate - if you lose the plate simply keep pushing with both hands and thumbs on the nearest surface)
3) Wide base (a wide base give you power and control)
4) Push him/Drive him past the cone as far and as fast as you can

At first when we start teaching this we stress 4) but as we get better we start to stress all of them 1), 2) and 3).

Jack

We also did a lot of dummy war.

----------------------^
---------------B--DDDDD--B---

Simple game and great for non-contact conditioning days.

Two blockers line up on a dummy that is length wise and in the middle of the dummy is a marker (cone) lying on the ground.

On READY they get into a ready position
On DOWN they get into their stance (again working on stance reps)
On GO they must fire off with THUMBS UP/ELBOWS INSIDE/SHOULDERS_HEAD behind the bag / wide base

Whoever can get their end of the bag past the cone wins.
THere will be a lot of stalemates until one starts planting and moving cleats. 
Most of these take one or two minutes as both will anchor down so be ready to only get one or two reps for each boy.

If the dummy turns or rolls that doesn't count as win...it must be driven straight across.  The first person to turn it or roll it loses.

This is all about exploding off the line and using your feet in a wide base and moving the other blocker back.

Tough competition drill but it teaches the boys how to dig out a defender with their base and body.  Works the heck out of their core as well.

Jack

Adding both of these to my drill book and next practice's plan right now!

Offline 32wedge

• Benefactors
  • Copper
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2017, 05:40:07 PM »
We do a little drill where the oline is in the GO step and the defender attempts to move away and the olinemen has to push him in the direction he is going.  He wins if he keeps his elbows inside and pushes the defender past the target cone...  We call it PUSH AWAY...helps the boys to understand the concept.

Jack

I have been using a drill for about 5 years I call the Bird Dog Finish Drill that is similar.  I start with half of my linemen in 3 Point Stances and the other half as stationary dummies (standing up) in down or on relation to the down linemen.  I call our cadence, Ready...Set...Go...Go.  On the first Go, the down linemen take a load step and freeze.  On the second Go, they take an explode step and freeze on the dummies.  I coach anyone stepping with the wrong foot or fitting incorrectly on the dummies.  Then I call out Finish and it basically becomes your push away drill.  The dummy can push back or try to break away at that point and I have the blockers maintain contact and drive the dummy up field until I blow the whistle (4 or 5 seconds).  That is one of my best drills with the O-line.

Offline parone

• Bronze
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Other
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2017, 06:35:25 AM »
this has been a great thread.  thanks to all that have contributed.  got some real world usable stuff here.
Dream Big.  Work Hard. Stay Humble.