Author Topic: What's Difficult About the Pull?  (Read 5026 times)

Offline jrk5150

• Administrator
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: What's Difficult About the Pull?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 12:57:21 PM »
Well, Dave, my teams have struggled to close a ONE MAN pulling gap - I haven't pulled G and T since the first half of the 2010 season.  I can't even imagine trying to close a two man gap, LOL.

Offline blockandtackle

• Bronze
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 01:03:10 PM »

Are you guys playing by NFHS rules?

Scramble blocking and cutting are still legal in the FBZ as long as you can get in front of the defender to do it.  It's clipping (which might include "shoeshine") that was outlawed in the FBZ a year ago.

https://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource-content/football-rules-changes-2017/

Offline COCoachKC

• Copper
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 01:15:14 PM »
To me, pulling has always been a simple matter of getting out of a stance, running from A to B and throwing a block. In the DW, it took some time and effort to get right due to the tight spaces and precise footwork. I've always been curious why many coaches think that there's some "magic" involved when you ask a lineman to do this.
Lar,

Three drills took the "magic" out of it:
     1) Blocking circuit (early season) - we positioned players based on natural abilities.  We had no time (nor patience) to try and make a square peg round.  If you can't seal or kickout block, you certainly aren't playing guard, tackle or fullback.
     2) Funnel drill.  Lots of funnel drill!  This is essential for finding bodies in space.  Also helps hone the control and aggressiveness of the block.
     3) Towel drill - Not only did this help the running backs, it also "pushed" the pullers to get into the hole at full speed.

Kent

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 01:38:58 PM »
my teams have struggled to close a ONE MAN pulling gap

John, how deep are you off the LOS?  We are D E E P.  As a matter of fact, the refs started in on us about how deep were were on the LOS, how close my Fullback was to the LOS and our shifting.  We were never penalized and I had to tell them what was legal and what wasn't.  They said they were getting complaints from the other team's coaches.  I asked if I could complain about them.  Stupid, pre-teen little girl complaints.  Either throw a flag on us, or shut up. 

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 01:40:44 PM »
Are you guys playing by NFHS rules?

--Yes..

Scramble blocking and cutting are still legal in the FBZ as long as you can get in front of the defender to do it.  It's clipping (which might include "shoeshine") that was outlawed in the FBZ a year ago.

--I know.  But getting the officials to understand the difference takes an act of congress.  And not even then.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline jrk5150

• Administrator
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Double Wing
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 01:49:17 PM »
John, how deep are you off the LOS? 

Deep.  Apparently not deep enough.  I am HOPING last year was an aberration - short roster, few options.  I THINK I have a couple of kids who can do it this year.  But again, as always, it's a struggle with the MPR and the fact I need some of those positions to put kids in who have limitations.

Offline blockandtackle

• Bronze
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2017, 02:03:20 PM »
CoachDP,

I know that feeling...

After the last 4 years, I've given up trying to explain the concept of "illegal man downfield."  When your FS is being blocked by the LG on a pass play, something's wrong...

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2017, 03:02:50 PM »
Lar,

Three drills took the "magic" out of it:
     1) Blocking circuit (early season) - we positioned players based on natural abilities.  We had no time (nor patience) to try and make a square peg round.  If you can't seal or kickout block, you certainly aren't playing guard, tackle or fullback.
     2) Funnel drill.  Lots of funnel drill!  This is essential for finding bodies in space.  Also helps hone the control and aggressiveness of the block.
     3) Towel drill - Not only did this help the running backs, it also "pushed" the pullers to get into the hole at full speed.

Kent

For sure. The exception was those two twins who wouldn't look us in the eye. Two square pegs if I ever saw one and both turned out to be relentless pullers.
Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Offline COCoachKC

• Copper
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2017, 03:07:05 PM »
For sure. The exception was those two twins who wouldn't look us in the eye. Two square pegs if I ever saw one and both turned out to be relentless pullers.

For those two it was getting over their fear of...EVERYTHING!  Cripes, they had a hard time talking to someone they didn't know let alone hit somebody.

One of those kids went on to play through high school.  The other gave up football in the 8th grade.

Kent

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2017, 03:23:06 PM »
ONE ANSWER 4 ALL CIRCLE DRILL ......
Can you diagram this kind sir?

Offline COCoachKC

• Copper
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2017, 03:35:28 PM »
In reading some threads, I become reminded about the difficulty in teaching the pull successfully.  Some coaches simply refuse to teach it because it's too hard or takes too much time.  I am hoping to see a list of what coaches find challenging about teaching the pull.

--Dave
Dave,

For those coaches I simply believe it is because they can't coach it.  I have seen kids do some pretty amazing things when TAUGHT correctly.  The simplest approach is to write off ones perceptions as reality.  We have heard and read all too often how the kids "can't" do this or that.  That is true when they haven't been instructed how and why.  But just because some one believes they can't isn't proof that they can't.

I would like to see what was challenging for those coaches who struggle to teach pulling.  And I am not thinking of Mahonz who chooses not to pull because he would prefer to spend time on other things.

Kent

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2017, 04:49:31 PM »
Dave,

For those coaches I simply believe it is because they can't coach it.  I have seen kids do some pretty amazing things when TAUGHT correctly.  The simplest approach is to write off ones perceptions as reality.  We have heard and read all too often how the kids "can't" do this or that.  That is true when they haven't been instructed how and why.  But just because some one believes they can't isn't proof that they can't.

I would like to see what was challenging for those coaches who struggle to teach pulling.  And I am not thinking of Mahonz who chooses not to pull because he would prefer to spend time on other things.

Kent

Very true. I simply decided pulling wasn't really for me. Its a philosophy thing. I even happily coached up the DW by the book one season.
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline COACH JC

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2017, 05:35:55 PM »
They ditch it in practice.

We go over steps EVERY DAY for 20+ minutes. First step bird dogs. Then get-offs. Then against shields. Everybody does them. Then we start live hitting yesterday and it's like they forgot what they just did 10 minutes earlier. Who just leans their body out. Who never moves their feet. Who takes their first step backwards. Really?!!!

In my experience the hardest thing to teach kids is to bend their knees, stay low, & otherittle things like ripping w/ the elbows & getting skinny.
It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2017, 10:27:42 PM »
How do you teach pulling? With a bucket step or a cross over step?

Offline blockandtackle

• Bronze
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2017, 11:20:05 PM »
How do you teach pulling? With a bucket step or a cross over step?

Bucket step for open pull.
Crossover step for skip pull.

It's a little different from a "bucket step" on zone, though.  It has to be more sudden and the upper body has to move with force to generate more torque out of the blocks and on the second step to get momentum going.