Author Topic: What's Difficult About the Pull?  (Read 5062 times)

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Retired
Re: What's Difficult About the Pull?
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2017, 07:36:05 AM »
"flying wedge'

Football's version of Duck Devastation!   :D
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline Coach Jeff

• Copper
  • It's not you, it's me...
    • www.youthfootballonline.com
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2019, 01:35:31 PM »
For us, sometimes our puller will pull to flat and won't be able to kick out or trap the defender. In youth football, most defenses won't squeeze the down blocks so it doesn't matter much, but it seem like it takes a while for our kids to understand the aiming point on the trap and the trap path. We want our pullers to pull, climb and the aiming point is the inside hip of the defender we are trapping. But when you work on it regularly they get it eventually.   
For the promotion and instruction of youth football! http://www.youthfootballonline.com

Offline Bill03

• Copper
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Split
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Other
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2019, 02:02:30 PM »
My biggest problem teaching the young guys is sometimes the get to worried about getting to the correct spot and forget to block their man.. can't tell you how many times that happens. And another one is on counter we kick out end with bsg , and the tackle just follows him then realizes to late.  This is also fun to see on film that night. We drill everyday on  pulling, just need to teach better. Going to be sitting down with DP next month to try and get better at that too.

Bill

Offline blockandtackle

• Bronze
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2019, 02:34:11 PM »
For us, sometimes our puller will pull to flat and won't be able to kick out or trap the defender. In youth football, most defenses won't squeeze the down blocks so it doesn't matter much, but it seem like it takes a while for our kids to understand the aiming point on the trap and the trap path. We want our pullers to pull, climb and the aiming point is the inside hip of the defender we are trapping. But when you work on it regularly they get it eventually.

"Back and attack."  Open up at a 45 degree angle, then hit back up into the LOS, aiming for the inside hip of the man being trapped.

The issues I've had are pullers either opening too flat or too deep, kids hitting the man straight up instead of fitting their head inside on the inside hip for leverage, kids stopping their feet on contact, and kids just bending over and running into the man being trapped instead of extending their hips to create lift on contact.  All of that can be coached out of them, as you point out.

With the Trap or any kick out scheme, the back needs to know to hit things tight to the downblocks and come downhill.  Young/inexperienced backs will often want to run around the trap block or fit in the G's backside rather than hugging the downblocks.  That kills the play.

Offline blockandtackle

• Bronze
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2019, 02:37:05 PM »
My biggest problem teaching the young guys is sometimes the get to worried about getting to the correct spot and forget to block their man.. can't tell you how many times that happens. And another one is on counter we kick out end with bsg , and the tackle just follows him then realizes to late.  This is also fun to see on film that night. We drill everyday on  pulling, just need to teach better. Going to be sitting down with DP next month to try and get better at that too.

Bill

This is why you really need to walk through it with some defenders out there instead of just running to cones or bags, like I see kids doing.  There's nothing wrong with taking a kid by the back of his pads and physically walking him from his stance to where and who he needs to hit.

One they realize they're kicking out the first thing past the downblocks and the wrapper is going to turn up off that last butt and just block the first thing that shows, you're good.  I'm big on teaching the technique differently for a kick out (open pull and just kill the first thing in your track) and a wrap (skip pull with eyes on the 1st LB past the C) to help reinforce this stuff.

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: One Back
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2019, 04:39:20 PM »
In reading some threads, I become reminded about the difficulty in teaching the pull successfully.  Some coaches simply refuse to teach it because it's too hard or takes too much time.  I am hoping to see a list of what coaches find challenging about teaching the pull.

--Dave

Im my org  i find the commitment to the pull is why they cant pull.  Its a skill that requires muscle memory, teaching, and repetition. One of or all those reasons is why i see my coaches have difficulty pulling.
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2019, 06:57:20 PM »
Like everything else it goes back to execution.

I've had some groups who can Pull and Trap, Others were more short trap than Pull, some couldnt do either.  Two things I see with groups who struggle is A) Quickness and B) inability hold the base blocks. 

What does that mean.  Quickness is a MUST to get out and go (Pull and Trap) and get on the Base Block.   This is more evident with a Double Pull than a Single.  Same holds true with a Long Trap v a Short One.  If your Non Pullers/Trappers cannot execute and hold their blocks, the Guy with the "Long Pull or Trap" gets caught up in what I call Line Leakage.  Can you continue to rep it?  Sure!!  IMHO, the real issue becomes, just like spending huge amount of time working on a "Perfect" 3 point stance, at what point do you scrap the idea and work on something else? 

Many of us have a limited time with kids to get plays inserted and running.  I cant waste 2 practices if we cannot execute it.  File it for later or Scrap it and move on.  In general I try to get 2 plays inserted and running well during Preseason O Practices.  If I think we can handle it I'll add another.  Byt the next O practice ALWAYS starts off with running the previous plays over and over.  Then trying to add a couple more.

Offline Coach Correa

• Silver
  • Loved by few but Respected by All
    • generalgridiron.com
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2019, 07:43:26 PM »
We teach the pick pocket technique and teach puller to get his head aiming for inside ear hole . Its a seal step while reaching wit right hand for right hip of center using his hip to keep us square and  tighter with the momentum helping us stay inside out on 1st man past center assuming trap is going to the right.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 10:46:10 AM by Coach Correa »
Head Coach Tito Correa
Meriden Raiders 9-U
Offense-Hybrid Wing
Defense - Odd- Stack

Offline Sharkbait

• Copper
  • Title: Administration
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2019, 12:43:52 AM »
I have had no problem teaching pulling to bobble heads. Some of the coaches in my org said it wasn't worth the investment 7u kids had no problem picking it up. I think we just need to to adjust our expectations, at the youngest level it may not be perfect but they can definitely do it. This year at 9u it was a normal part of the game for the oline. I think if we change the way we communicate and teach with the younger guys, they are more than capable of performing more complicated techniques.

Offline CoachCalande

• Platinum
  • Its never been "My bad"
  • Defense: 46
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2019, 07:41:34 PM »
“ the pull?”

Which pull? There are several and the footwork and path vary.
MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

Online CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2019, 01:51:47 PM »
Which pull? There are several and the footwork and path vary.

ANY pull.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Online coachgregory

• Gold
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Title: Other
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2019, 02:06:26 PM »

I did away with the cut a long time ago.  I teach a radical down block. Aim for the near hip of the center and "trap" the first thing that crosses your face.  It works for us and it allows us to build off of it as we can make some sideline calls when we see the backside aligning with 2 or less on the backside perimeter or vacating (moving playside) and leaving the backside with two or less.  Our most basic call is RAZZEL ( any "R" word from the sideline) run a backfield only WB REVERSE (rest of the offense is executing play called (POWER/POWER SWEEP/POWER PASS).  With the radical downblock anyone blocked is not getting into the backfield if properly executed.   We have a few other sideline calls but they work better with the radical down block.  It doesn't take a good linemen to execute the block and an MPP can make the block on a superior DLINEMEN.  THe use of WEDGE, running the play the other way, and sideline hot calls keeps the target honest.

Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2019, 03:12:49 PM »
I did away with the cut a long time ago.  I teach a radical down block. Aim for the near hip of the center and "trap" the first thing that crosses your face.
You mean, hit him in the side?

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2019, 03:19:23 PM »
You mean, hit him in the side?

Bob, yes it can be from the side.  Not every block is "Squared Up". 

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2019, 03:37:23 PM »
Bob, yes it can be from the side.  Not every block is "Squared Up".
I know that, but what I want to know is whether Coach Gregory is doing that when he means they trap them.