Author Topic: What is your idea of conditioning?  (Read 3745 times)

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Retired
Re: What is your idea of conditioning?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 02:38:10 PM »
Oh, I definitely had an advantage.

The times I've talked to coaches about the stoopid stuff they do that's traced back to the stoopid stuff their coaches did...

--Dave
I see it every time I watch a youth team practice and often when I watch a hs team practice. Guys just don't know any better and most youth coaches don't even know their are good resources to help them out. The hs guys have no excuse.

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 03:02:25 PM »
Guys just don't know any better and most youth coaches don't even know their are good resources to help them out. The hs guys have no excuse.

I don't think anyone has an excuse.  If you want to be good at something, then get to work, put in the time and get better.  I've said several times that one of the great things about coaching is that you can be as good as you want to be; there is no opponent stopping you.

Problem is, many guys don't want to coach.  They take the George Costanza route and want to pretend to be.  Constanza never wanted to be an architect.  His dream was to pretend to be an architect.

Guys want to carry the clipboard, blow the whistle, yell and wave their arms.  But when it comes to learning their craft, finding their coaching voice, discovering their motivations, uncovering what they're good (and not so good) at takes hard work and years of study and dedication.  Some do this.  More just pretend to do it.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline Vince148

• Silver
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 05:40:16 PM »
Some people are just hard headed. They can't get past how they were coached. I often think you might of actually had an advantage early on because you didn't play hs ball. Sort of like the kid with 4 years of experience with a bad coach. I'd rather have a kid with no experience.
I might be at an advantage too. It's been so long since I played HS ball, I can't even tell you what are practices were like. So most of what I learned was definitely from being on here.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 05:48:57 PM »
Can my kids walk is my idea of conditioning.
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline Beansko82

• Benefactors
  • Copper
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: Wide Tackle 6
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 06:56:45 PM »
I might be at an advantage too. It's been so long since I played HS ball, I can't even tell you what are practices were like. So most of what I learned was definitely from being on here.

You ain’t lying. The best thing I probably ever did for my players was to forget everything I’d learned about the game from my HS career.

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 07:38:51 PM »
Running sprints is just a waste of time.  Coaches who make their kids "take a lap" after warm-ups inevitably end up yelling, "Don't be last!" as they wait for Little Billy and Fat Freddy.  That's often followed with, "You better run!"  (Or else, what?  You're going to make him run [I mean, walk] again?)

--Dave

Actually, we stress staying together as a team and yell at the track stars who leave their brothers behind.
Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Offline Vince148

• Silver
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 08:20:28 PM »
Actually, we stress staying together as a team and yell at the track stars who leave their brothers behind.
Same here. I want them going around the field like they are a military company. No one gets left behind.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Offense: One Back
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 08:36:33 PM »
Guys want to carry the clipboard, blow the whistle

When I coach football, I don't use either of those.

There's always somebody who has a whistle.  People seem to like buying those.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Offense: One Back
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2018, 08:38:19 PM »
I might change my warmup to something similar.

Last year, I started warmup with a jog, then progressed to some bag drills. After that, some carioca, shuffles, bear crawls, and beckpedals. Maybe I'll change the movements with plyo stuff after the jogs and agility bags.

I do it the Switzer way.  Just throw out some frisbees before practice.  When it's time to start practicing, everyone is loose and warm.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline Vince148

• Silver
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2018, 08:58:43 PM »
I do it the Switzer way.  Just throw out some frisbees before practice.  When it's time to start practicing, everyone is loose and warm.
The kids usually get there early and play some touch beforehand.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2018, 09:18:31 PM »
We just ran super simple stuff that everybody else runs. We just ran it better because we practiced better. Few people outside of this website get that.
l what great idea!!! While foaming in sarcasm, it really is great advice
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Online Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2018, 11:06:36 PM »
Inevitably, you watch them practice after they ask for advice and help and there the kids are running a lap to start practice and running sprints at the end. Even worse, as pointed out above, cancelling specials or some other important thing to do sprints. I never understood the guys who want advice and help and all they really want is the magic offense and defense. Go ask somebody else. We just ran super simple stuff that everybody else runs. We just ran it better because we practiced better. Few people outside of this website get that.
Why is that?  How did we, who see this, wind up here?  Did we scare away everyone else?  Run them off?

Is it something about DumCoach?  Or about the WWW generally?

BTW, our practices in 2017 were an example of the "them" you wrote of.

Online Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2018, 11:11:31 PM »
I didn't play interscholastic anything except chess, so I should be a coaching genius.

Offline coachdoug

• Silver
  • "Fatigue makes cowards of us all." - V. Lombardi
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2018, 04:18:53 AM »
I consider conditioning to be bldg. long-term endurance.  Like a printed program I was handed when I was playing rugby, to be done over the summer between spring & fall season.  I think it took a minimum of 7 weeks, graded sprints, to be done after a distance run, but I never did the distance run.  You were to judge progress by your ability to keep your pulse under a certain figure.

I would never do that sort of thing with kids I coach in football.  For one thing, I don't think it'd work unless you had that amount of time before pre-season began, nor would I expect kids to do it 5-6 days/week over that time as prescribed.  For another, I don't think children need or benefit from that kind of conditioning for football.  I wrote last season about how I never saw them breathing hard in games the way they did from the sprints our coaches made them do, even though we had a roster of only 15.  If they were playing rugby, they'd have more need of it.  Some kids actually love doing the sprints if you make races out of them, but others are just bored or bothered by them, and we're here to play football, not run track.

If I could have kids work on anything truly off-season, it'd probably be weight lifting, & for those who groove to that, fine, but even there I think a little technique (which you can coach) or size (which you can't) beats a lot of strength.  For safety's sake, though, I would like them to strengthen the muscles that dorsiflex the neck, and considering that the time they'll have for that will probably be at home (no partners, no equipment), I'd expect that to be accomplished by back bridges.
Bob - this may be the single most intelligent post you've ever made.  I'm not sure about the back bridges part at the end (not saying it's wrong, just saying that I don't know if that is valid or not), but the rest of it is spot on.  Well done.

Offline coachdoug

• Silver
  • "Fatigue makes cowards of us all." - V. Lombardi
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2018, 04:33:51 AM »
When I coach football, I don't use either of those.

There's always somebody who has a whistle.  People seem to like buying those.
This past season we had 14 coaches on staff (across all 3 HS levels - Varsity, JV, and Frosh).  I think the only guy who had a whistle was my JV O-line coach.  And even with him, I think he only had his because one day the Varsity HC asked if anyone had a whistle and he was the only one who volunteered that he had one, so all season long, whenever we needed a whistle, the coaches all looked to him.  I had a whistle in my bag, but I never pulled it out all season.