Author Topic: Belts, wraps, and straps: no leather on the gamefield  (Read 692 times)

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Head Coach
Belts, wraps, and straps: no leather on the gamefield
« on: March 26, 2018, 09:54:54 AM »
Met with a coach yesterday and discussed the progress of the program thus far.  Been working together now for almost a year. Well he brought his "meathead/bodybuilding.com" coach with him.

He was upset that i convinced the head coach that lifting belts, knee sleeves, knee wraps, and grip straps are bad for youngsters.  I simply said... "do your players wear lifting belts on friday nights ... so why train with them".  ** i allow wrist wraps...bc most atheletes tape wrists for games anway

Elimination of this equipment is more than that:

1. Athlete is forced to use "lighter" weights then with equipment. Safety...safety...safety

2. The athlete becomes stronger through stabilization with out equipment assistance.

3. You build better core strength with out a milliond reps on the ab wheel

4.  In the end i am training athletes with powerlifting, im not training powerlifters.

5. Any equipment used helps the lifter, i want training to be as hard as possible,  with less weight and risk of injury as possible. I want training to be optimal!

Meathead coach had his "ah ha" moment and then changed the subject to oline drills lol
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 10:04:29 AM by ZACH »
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline Vince148

• Silver
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Single Wing
Re: Belts, wraps, and straps: no leather on the gamefield
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 04:59:32 PM »
I don't really have a problem if a kid wears a belt. Usually, it's only when the intensity starts hitting 85-90+% anyway. A belt doesn't really add any significant amount, 10-15 pounds maybe, to be overly concerned about. Not like a full gear lifter that can get 150+ pounds with the extras.

Light weight does not guarantee safety. To me, technique is the more important factor concerning safety. Over the years, I've seen plenty of people get hurt using light weights. Usually, it's bad form and technique that's the cause. Heck, I've seen people get injured bending over to pick up a pencil.

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 08:18:05 PM »
I don't really have a problem if a kid wears a belt. Usually, it's only when the intensity starts hitting 85-90+% anyway. A belt doesn't really add any significant amount, 10-15 pounds maybe, to be overly concerned about. Not like a full gear lifter that can get 150+ pounds with the extras.

Light weight does not guarantee safety. To me, technique is the more important factor concerning safety. Over the years, I've seen plenty of people get hurt using light weights. Usually, it's bad form and technique that's the cause. Heck, I've seen people get injured bending over to pick up a pencil.

If i can put less load on the body and make the strain the same as 20lbs more bar weight, i win. 

Nothing garuntees safety youre right about that ... the most elite lifter crush, tear and so in gyms and platforms everywear.  I want no assistance in the lift . Belts, sleeves add very little, with these beginners i just choose not to give it to them.

Offline Vince148

• Silver
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 09:33:29 PM »
If i can put less load on the body and make the strain the same as 20lbs more bar weight, i win. 

Nothing garuntees safety youre right about that ... the most elite lifter crush, tear and so in gyms and platforms everywear.  I want no assistance in the lift . Belts, sleeves add very little, with these beginners i just choose not to give it to them.
That's not the way it works physiologically. Fact is that wearing a belt causes up to 25% more activation of the erector spinae muscles and a definite increase in rectus abdominus activity. Additionally, there is an increase of interabdominal pressure by 40% and compression on the discs is reduced by as much as 50%.

But as I said, I wouldn't use a belt unless at 85% or more intensity.

https://javierbutragueno.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/a-review-of-the-use-of-lifting-belts.pdf

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a215224.pdf

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 09:28:03 AM »
That's not the way it works physiologically. Fact is that wearing a belt causes up to 25% more activation of the erector spinae muscles and a definite increase in rectus abdominus activity. Additionally, there is an increase of interabdominal pressure by 40% and compression on the discs is reduced by as much as 50%.

But as I said, I wouldn't use a belt unless at 85% or more intensity.

https://javierbutragueno.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/a-review-of-the-use-of-lifting-belts.pdf

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a215224.pdf

The "activation" increases due to...the retriction of the physical belt and having something to literally push against. This bracing with the belt is taught the same with out the belt. You cant put a belt on a kid tellem the squat and acquire all these "activation benefits"

I want my kids to have that with out the extra stimulus...just a preferance...i understand your 85% + get a belt... just had too much practical experiance of not using equipment with youngsters and have had nothing but great things.

We can put a belt  on any of them and thered be no difference in form at 90%... ide argue my point of why i do this because the latter would be different situation.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 10:09:53 AM by ZACH »