Author Topic: Offensive Line Performance  (Read 2620 times)

Offline Seabass

• Silver
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Assistant
Offensive Line Performance
« on: April 19, 2018, 05:03:46 PM »
I only put this under the zone topic because that's what's on my mind. This could apply to other blocking schemes.

We are a base zone scheme and I know that scheme so I didn't need to devote a bunch of time to scheme...never really did anyway...scheme can become paraphernalia for lost souls if you're not careful. I have dedicated almost 100% of my off-season to my position. Now that I am coaching freshman O-line (no HC responsibilities), I have nothing else to think about but how my group will play. It's been kind of nice to get as deep as possible in my little realm.

I recently purchased a subscription to Le'Charles Bentley's Offensive Line Performance website. Bentley has some pretty interesting ideas on technique and I'm going to implement some of them with my guys next year.

The first thing I started with was stance. In researching stance, and part of what pushed me to buy the subscription to OLP, was Bentley's version of the 3-point and 2 point stance. In the subscription I have much more available. I wish I could post some of the videos I have access to but I can't. Below is a youtube video that's free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY_kW7GKawM

Offline Coach Correa

• Silver
  • Loved by few but Respected by All
    • generalgridiron.com
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: Offensive Line Performance
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 06:10:20 PM »
I wish he sold his materials . He has created the ultimate money grab for things that are common sense .  A monthly fee is crazy for things if you do enough homework you can get for free . Your a better man than me !!!!  :) :) :) :)
Head Coach Tito Correa
Meriden Raiders 9-U
Offense-Hybrid Wing
Defense - Odd- Stack

Offline Seabass

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 09:08:37 PM »
He does sell his materials! You just pay it on a month by month basis. What's the difference between paying $50 for a set of materials and paying $9.99/mo for 5 months? You can cancel the $9.99/mo at any time. Maybe it takes you 3 months to get what you need... maybe it only takes a month. Depends on the individual.

The way it's structured and the progression is unlike anything I have ever see as an instructional site. Maybe overkill for a youth coach but certainly not for a HS coach. The "why, what , how series he HS on their is AWESOME! It covers the technique all the way down to how to drill it and train it in the weight room.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: One Back
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 10:56:51 PM »
What's the difference between paying $50 for a set of materials and paying $9.99/mo for 5 months?

Five cents? Not counting the time value of money, of course.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline CmartCoach

• Copper
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 01:19:01 PM »
A monthly fee is crazy for things if you do enough homework you can get for free .

To me, that is EXACTLY why the monthly fee makes sense.  Some (a lot?) of guys don't have the time to do all the research and $9.99 is well worth the price of a tidy package. 
Cmart

Offline Seabass

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 12:23:20 PM »
To me, that is EXACTLY why the monthly fee makes sense.  Some (a lot?) of guys don't have the time to do all the research and $9.99 is well worth the price of a tidy package.

I have had my subscription less than a week and there is already some new content. One of the cool features of the site is the ability to make comments or ask questions. I have already seen where a new video has been produced based on questions from subscriber's.

Offline parone

• Bronze
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Other
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 12:02:53 PM »
that's really a great video.
Dream Big.  Work Hard. Stay Humble.

Offline Seabass

• Silver
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 08:27:43 PM »
that's really a great video.
That's the stance I will be teaching. I have been getting in and out of it myself almost daily for the last 10 days.

Offline Seabass

• Silver
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 03:34:50 PM »
I have been a subscriber now for about 1 month. I have spent an embarrassing amount of time on the site. I am coaching at the HS level for the first time this fall and the idea of sucking is more than I can stand so I'm doing everything I can to avoid that.

I have come to a few conclusions after studying this stuff for a solid month now.

1-Some of the language or coaching cues I have been using over the last 6 years weren't crystal clear to me....they had to be confusing to my players.

2-I will never talk in terms of "steps" to an O-lineman ever again. Steps are passive and don't communicate intention.

3-I was doing certain things because that's "the way they had always been done"....regardless of their effectiveness.

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 03:47:08 PM »
So what do you do if you don't talk in terms of steps?

Offline Seabass

• Silver
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 03:57:37 PM »
So what do you do if you don't talk in terms of steps?

If you are running to your right and want to change direction to the left....what do you do? How do you physically do that? Do you change your direction with the left foot (the direction you want to go toward) bny stepping in that direction? Or do you push off with the right foot (opposite foot of the direction you want to go) by creating force through the ground?

Honest question?

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 04:13:58 PM »
I would use my right foot to move me left when changing directions.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 04:19:44 PM »

3-I was doing certain things because that's "the way they had always been done"....regardless of their effectiveness.

This is the single most important sentence ever written on this Forum.
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline Seabass

• Silver
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 04:25:30 PM »
I would use my right foot to move me left when changing directions.

Of course you would....nobody moves in a direction by stepping that way....they apply force through the ground with the opposite foot. That's why I won't be talking in terms of "step" left or "step" right. I will use  drive/catch instead. If I want want our guys to be quicker off the ball and more violent then I need to use cues and techniques that describe those actions. Steps, bucket step, lateral step etc....all passive terms.

If we have a zone play going to the right....we will drive with our left foot and catch ourselves with our right foot. Not only does that better describe our intentions and make us quicker off the ball but from a neutral stance (like the one in the video I posted above) it also keeps the hips square to the angle we want to work through.

Offline Seabass

• Silver
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 04:34:18 PM »
This is the single most important sentence ever written on this Forum.

Mike- "That's the way we have always done it" is no longer an acceptable answer to anything for me anymore. If that's all you got when I ask why, you are likely no longer someone I can respect and you are probably part of the problem to whatever it is I am trying to solve.

If you said, "I have always done it this way because xyz"....we might not agree but at least you have your reasons. As a stand alone reason, that's lame!