Author Topic: Free Youth Football Play and Formation Resource  (Read 1660 times)

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
Re: Free Youth Football Play and Formation Resource
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2019, 03:02:52 AM »
Direct from the website:  "600+ Youth Football Plays for $11.99!". "Buy Now!"

Ohhh...$11.99.  Well, I wonder what the free part is....

More so than no blocking rules, I hate the idea of cherry-picking plays, instead of teaching and learning schemes.   

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2019, 07:50:26 AM »
Gumby:

Yes, you charge for Marketing Research.

8)
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2019, 04:54:41 PM »
I realize that I came off as a jerk on this topic, but it's a sore spot with me. All but 2 of our Spring opponents had crap offenses. Utter crap. That includes the team we met in the championship. Their base offense was dead T out of shotgun. Week after week, we would watch scout film and ask, "What the hell are you running, Coach?". As time goes on, these level of ineptitude becomes the norm. So much so that leagues implement ridiculous mercy rules and sportsmanship grades to try and mitigate the knowledge difference between coaching staffs. It came to a head with a rule that allows a losing coach to remove 3 players from winning team for the remainder of the game along with a rule that says you must maintain a "C" average on sportsmanship to be eligible for a bowl game.

So the easy way to deal with disparity among coaching staffs is to implement rules. You know, like the easy way to implement an offense is to say "o-line run blocks", then blame it on the o-line for not run blocking when it fails. However, those rules don't stop the lopsided scores or the brutal product on the field. They only serve to make some coaches feel guilty for knowing what they are doing and make some administrators feel good for "doing the right thing for the kids."

It all starts with "31 Dive, FB runs hard, no juking, o-line run blocks."
Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2019, 08:35:29 PM »
I realize that I came off as a jerk on this topic

--Not that I was aware of.

So the easy way to deal with disparity among coaching staffs is to implement rules. You know, like the easy way to implement an offense is to say "o-line run blocks", then blame it on the o-line for not run blocking when it fails. However, those rules don't stop the lopsided scores or the brutal product on the field. They only serve to make some coaches feel guilty for knowing what they are doing and make some administrators feel good for "doing the right thing for the kids."

--Well said.

--Dave

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline terrypjohnson

• Benefactors
  • Copper
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2019, 10:41:45 AM »
I realize that I came off as a jerk on this topic, but it's a sore spot with me. All but 2 of our Spring opponents had crap offenses. Utter crap. That includes the team we met in the championship. Their base offense was dead T out of shotgun. Week after week, we would watch scout film and ask, "What the hell are you running, Coach?". As time goes on, these level of ineptitude becomes the norm. So much so that leagues implement ridiculous mercy rules and sportsmanship grades to try and mitigate the knowledge difference between coaching staffs. It came to a head with a rule that allows a losing coach to remove 3 players from winning team for the remainder of the game along with a rule that says you must maintain a "C" average on sportsmanship to be eligible for a bowl game.

It all starts with "31 Dive, FB runs hard, no juking, o-line run blocks."

I don't think you came off as a jerk at all. You're simply pointing out that the blocking scheme (or lack thereof) would make it difficult for a new coach to implement the plays properly. As usual, you're 100% correct :-)

I'm more concerned about the rules in your league. Where I live, the same team has won the rec league title 10 years in a row. Instead of complaining about the rules, I'm out here trying to learn from all of you to become a better coach (last year was my first year coaching youth football). That team might win the league this year, but it won''t be for lack of effort on my part. It's a shame that the teams in your league -- especially the offenses -- aren't taking the same approach.

Coach Terry

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2019, 12:15:17 PM »
I don't think you came off as a jerk at all. You're simply pointing out that the blocking scheme (or lack thereof) would make it difficult for a new coach to implement the plays properly. As usual, you're 100% correct :-)

I'm more concerned about the rules in your league. Where I live, the same team has won the rec league title 10 years in a row. Instead of complaining about the rules, I'm out here trying to learn from all of you to become a better coach (last year was my first year coaching youth football). That team might win the league this year, but it won''t be for lack of effort on my part. It's a shame that the teams in your league -- especially the offenses -- aren't taking the same approach.

Coach Terry

It's really the Spring league. Fall is much more competitive. There are still dynasties at one end and dogs at the other, but there isn't quite so much disparity. Spring brings the athletes because only football geeks play in the Spring. However, the coaches seem to be mostly dads and ACs who can't wait to put in their "Madden" playbook.

Fall follows the HS mercy rule as far as I know. I think most teams just play through it, the way it ought to be.

Some of the crap we saw in the Spring:
Pistol with the QB at 5 and the TB at 10 yards deep.
Spread with 5 or more in the backfield
Spread with 3 or less in the backfield
Double reverse pass for a pick 6
Double wing with FB at 5 yards, pitch to 8 yards and no pulling
Wrong ball (wish I was kidding)
Jet sweep from trips AWAY from the trips side
Slant from Quads, throwing to a covered lineman

But the main theme was absolutely atrocious blocking with the exception of 1 team, who could run block, but not pass block. One coach actually told our HC that in practice, he told his team to "run until you figure out how to block". I saw another coach publicly humiliate his line when the QB got hurt in a game. This clown ran 3 straight propeller sweeps (like jet sweep, but slower) to arrive at 4th and 25, then try to run "All Go" to make it all back. But it's the line's fault the QB got sacked.

That's what bothers me about the "free football plays". It looks like the play selection screen from Madden.
Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2019, 12:17:41 PM »
Instead of complaining about the rules, I'm out here trying to learn from all of you to become a better coach (last year was my first year coaching youth football). That team might win the league this year, but it won''t be for lack of effort on my part.

I wish more coaches understood their responsibility.

--Dave

The Mission Statement:

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2019, 12:20:22 PM »
That's what bothers me about the "free football plays". It looks like the play selection screen from Madden.

I haven't played Madden, but that's pretty funny.

--Dave

The Mission Statement:

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2019, 01:44:11 PM »
I haven't played Madden, but that's pretty funny.

--Dave

The blocking is generally very good.  8)
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2019, 08:54:08 PM »
Doubt it.  They're unlikely to appreciate what they already deem as not having any value.
It's not just that.  Whoever's coaching the backs may continue to adjust things without any appreciation of the blocking scheme.  Suddenly the scheme the line coach had them practice is ineffective for what's going on in the backfield, and then it's the line coach's fault.

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2019, 09:04:34 PM »
Jet sweep from trips AWAY from the trips side
What's wrong with that?

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2019, 01:11:47 AM »
What's wrong with that?
Chiefly that it doesn’t seem to work very well.

Offline morris

• Gold
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: DC 46
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2019, 02:24:06 PM »
It’s more than likely not the play but what it is called against. Jet to a single WR side or a nub side works fine. I really like 3x1 running jet to the trips. The one I never understand is running jet fake away from the RB. In you’re entire coaching career how often have you witnessed a jet sweep run opposite the RB (assuming gun).

Offline Seabass

• Silver
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2019, 03:09:19 PM »
Formations, schemes and plays are not synonymous. A play isn't a play without a blocking scheme. You can't just draw up a formation, show where the ball get's inserted and call it a play....or a scheme.

You can claim to have 600 different youth formations if you would like but until they have specific instructions (blocking schemes being one of those) they aren't offenses...they simply alignments.

When a guy tells you he wants to "run" a particular offense but can't give any more instruction beyond where to line up and where the ball goes...he isn't running an offense. He just likes a particular formation.

Formations are a dime/dozen and not even a good starting point.

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: DC Wing T
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2019, 08:08:12 AM »
Direct from the website:  "600+ Youth Football Plays for $11.99!". "Buy Now!"

BTW, the "block somebody" and "block the guy in front of you" schemes are old school. Nowadays, it seems there's been a movement toward the "Y'all better start blocking!" scheme.
Well the way I have seen it is the south uses the "Y'all better start blocking" scheme.

The north east uses the "You guys better start blocking"
The west uses "Hey, You, start blocking"
Canada uses the "What's all that a boot, you better start blocking AY"

This is just from my experiences
Robert

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge