Author Topic: Squad Spread Formation & Plays  (Read 474 times)

Offline CoachParker

• Copper
  • Play for Fun and Winning is Funner!
    • Youth Football Coaching Tips, Talk & Plays
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Wide Tackle 6
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Assistant
Squad Spread Formation & Plays
« on: May 16, 2019, 10:36:52 AM »
I have been working on Spreading out old single wing formations.  I am developing a formation called Squad from the Notre Dame box formation.  This Spread formation has worked really well for my 10U team this Spring.  I will continue to develop this formation and plays over the next several seasons.  Here is a quick video of the Squad Sweep Play out of Diamond and Gang Bunch formations.  https://youtu.be/PX-dv4uwN0k

Thanks
Parker
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 03:45:26 PM by CoachParker »
Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas
Power Wing Beast Offense
62 Multi 8 Defense

Offline CoachParker

• Copper
Re: Squad Spread Formation & Plays
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 12:25:42 PM »
Here is the Squad Screen Pass video
https://youtu.be/zyUXr2PsosA

The screens out of the Squad Gang Bunch really worked for us.  Enjoy the video.

Let me know what you think?

~ Parker
Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas
Power Wing Beast Offense
62 Multi 8 Defense

Offline terrypjohnson

• Copper
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 08:10:15 PM »
As always coach, thank you for sharing your knowledge. I ran mostly Rockne's box last year (that's the Single Wing I was taught), but will be mixing in some Beast Right 16 Tank, along with some misdirection off of it.

The question I have about the video is whether any team actually used more than two or three defenders against the Squad? The kids I coach are 8 and under, so I'm trying to get a feel for how opposing defensive coordinators might react to it (if I can find a passer :-))

Coach Terry

Offline CoachParker

• Copper
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 07:35:13 PM »
Opposing coaches were taking time outs right and left and trying to figure out what to do.  We won a playoff game because he wasted too many time outs early in the second half trying to adjust to the squad formation and ran out of time at the end.  I did not see more than 3 defenders over on the Squad side all season.  After watching all the Spring season  offensive plays cut up, we should have run Squad more with more play options which I will do in the Fall.  I do think you can Diamond or Gang out of Squad and mix it up quite a bit.  I want to Jet motion over to the squad side. 

As always coach, thank you for sharing your knowledge. I ran mostly Rockne's box last year (that's the Single Wing I was taught), but will be mixing in some Beast Right 16 Tank, along with some misdirection off of it.

The question I have about the video is whether any team actually used more than two or three defenders against the Squad? The kids I coach are 8 and under, so I'm trying to get a feel for how opposing defensive coordinators might react to it (if I can find a passer :-))

Coach Terry
Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas
Power Wing Beast Offense
62 Multi 8 Defense

Offline CoachParker

• Copper
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 05:15:39 PM »
Here's another play out of Squad Gang and Diamond formations the 3 Fly Pass Play.  Enjoy the video.  Would love some feedback.

https://youtu.be/xJOjO9zEDFs
Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas
Power Wing Beast Offense
62 Multi 8 Defense

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: Other
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 07:40:09 PM »
Here's another play out of Squad Gang and Diamond formations the 3 Fly Pass Play.  Enjoy the video.  Would love some feedback.

https://youtu.be/xJOjO9zEDFs

Very similar to the stuff we ran this Spring. Had one field monitor, who happens to be an official tell us we were "bastardizing" the numbering rule, but our Spring league has no numbering rules. In pregame, we would tell the white hat that our covered linemen if split out would run automatic bubbles. We would then show them the rule regarding throwing backward passes to covered linemen. One white hat said, "That's deceptive. I'm not going to allow it."  We also had a few games, especially early on where we were getting incorrectly flagged nonstop for illegal formation. It got so bad in one game that I would stand on the LOS and loudly count out the number of backs.

As far as the 3 go play, my thoughts:

1) I only like 9 routes if there's a mismatch or press coverage. Otherwise, it's pretty much a jump ball. In your clip, I can't see what happened to the CB because he was out of the shot until the end.

2) If we're going to run that 9, we would bubble the PT, cross the CBs face with a quick out and cross the Safety's face with a post. In my experience, the bubble routes might fool them for a step or two, but crossing faces a la smash concepts really exposes defenses with suspect coverage.

3) Your deep back in the diamond is very intriguing. He's deep enough to sneak him unnoticed underneath most coverages. I will suggest we try it this Fall if we keep going with this super nasty split thing.

4) On the out route from your gang diamond clip, it looked like a pretty awkward throw for your right handed QB to run left, square up and throw left. It was a good throw, though. Does he hit that a lot?
Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Offline CoachParker

• Copper
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 11:28:04 AM »
Just finished the Wildcat Multi Spread Offense Playbook.  300 pages and 100 spread offense plays for youth football.  Take a look inside https://coachparker.org/the-multi-run-spread-offense-playbook-for-youth-football/

stay tuned as i start posting articles and videos around the ebook.

Thanks
Parker
Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas
Power Wing Beast Offense
62 Multi 8 Defense