Author Topic: Spin Series Out of Gun - Dale Weiner Style for 12U  (Read 890 times)

Offline dynodonfb7

• Copper
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Wishbone
  • Title: Coordinator
Spin Series Out of Gun - Dale Weiner Style for 12U
« on: May 23, 2018, 05:59:31 PM »
Was wondering if anyone on here has played with Dale Weiner's take on the spin out of a gun formation?  How did it work?  Issues that you ran into.  Was it fast enough (hitting the point of attack)?  I am thinking of including it in a series of formations I will use with my team this year (Wishbone, Double Wing, Flexbone, Gun-Spin).  My thoughts are that I can keep the same personnel on the field through these formations and switch out formations from play to play, I can run both double wing and gun/flexbone to set up the spin series.  We have several kids that signed up this year that are real speedsters that would really make this offense hum on paper, though wanted to hear thoughts from people that have tried it and their takeaways.

Offline 32wedge

• Copper
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: 46
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: Spin Series Out of Gun - Dale Weiner Style for 12U
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 08:05:54 AM »
I run the Half Spin Counter as my second series and run it out of double slot and trips formations.  The footwork, mesh and install time is easier and quicker than full spinning and it works great especially from a lot of different formations.  PM me and I can share my playbook if you are interested.

I have tried Dale Weiner full spin stuff in practice with that age but I wasn't getting the spin footwork and meshes to work quick enough and gave up on it.  I think it could be done if you are committed to only running that offense, but I also think if you try to install the spin offense along with Wishbone, Double Wing and Flexbone, you are going to have a tough time scoring enough points to win many games.  It's only my opinion but I see a massive train wreck with mangled passenger cars and no survivors if you attempt to install 4 completely different offenses in the same season.

If you spend all your practice time getting really good at any one of those offenses, you will be a much better team and score more points than if you try to do all of them at once. 

Just take Double Wing and Flexbone for example.  They look similar formation wise but are completely opposite.  The Double Wing double team blocks the defenders at the point of attack and the Flexbone does not block the defender at all at the point of attack.  There is simply no way to be good at both in the same season.

Of the offenses you listed, I think the Double Wing gives you the better chance to be successful at the age you are coaching.  There's plenty of DW help online. 

The Wishbone would be my second pick from your list and you have it listed as your selected offense so if you are more confident in teaching the wishbone that might be best for you.  I would be a lot more worried about defending a really good wishbone team than a team trying to run 4 different systems.

This is just my honest opinion and I mean no offense (pun intended).  Good luck in whatever you do.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 08:36:47 AM by 32wedge »

Offline bignose

• Bronze
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 08:51:36 AM »
I agree with with 32wedge.
Become the master of one scheme, not the "Jack of all trades" than can line up in multiple formations, but can't execute worth a crap, and ending up grab bagging plays. That is not an offense. Have a series and sequence with a rational reason for calling plays.

As to the Dale Weiner Spinner Offense: we added a series of this as a late season supplemental package 2008 as a way to keep our High School level kids fresh, after running the Double Wing under center all season.

My observations were that it had some deception, but over all the plays were much slower hitting than our under center offense. A slight bobble on the snap screwed up the timing of the plays that relied on the motion wing meshing behind the spinning QB.
Power to the motion wing got forced too wide, but QB Power after the spin fake was pretty good, partly because our QB was very fast.
The Spinner Offense required bigger splits then we were comfortable with after using 6" splits with the DW all season.

We kinda went back to version of this in 2015 to run more of a Gun DW with both slots and tightends. The difference was went changed to more of a front side exchange rather than the spin action. We had a 137 pound kid starting at center and could not function under center.
The same observations applied.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 08:54:01 AM by bignose »
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles!

Offline dynodonfb7

• Copper
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Wishbone
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 11:48:27 AM »
Thanks for the comments.  Funny, I have been worried about this as well.  The team ran predominately wishbone last year.  Though, we constantly ran into trouble when defenses would pull the corners in a bit and stack the box.  Made it to our Super Bowl only to be thrashed by a 4-4 team that outclassed us on so many levels.  I was looking for something different that might spread the defense a bit.  Plus, I love the misdirection piece out of the spin.  I am a former option style QB, so I love misdirection.  A lot of my go to wishbone plays are quick hit plays with misdirection (crossbucks, fake dive & over tackle, etc).  If you are willing to send your playbook over regarding the half spin out of doube wing, please do so.  I am very interested!!!!

Offline 32wedge

• Copper
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: 46
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 01:12:37 PM »
If you are willing to send your playbook over regarding the half spin out of doube wing, please do so.  I am very interested!!!!

I consider my offense to be a  multiple formation Single Wing.  If you like any part of this and have any questions, I will do my best to answer. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ia2-Px1RL2nNkYmuZ17io6pD1oK_RlOQ/view?usp=drivesdk

Offline CoachSugg

• Bronze
  • Work Hard! Play Hard!!
  • Coaching: 9 & Under
  • Defense: 6-2
  • Offense: Double Wing
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 02:14:02 PM »
I consider my offense to be a  multiple formation Single Wing.  If you like any part of this and have any questions, I will do my best to answer. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ia2-Px1RL2nNkYmuZ17io6pD1oK_RlOQ/view?usp=drivesdk

Well put together playbook.  I added it to my collection, see what i can use out of it.  Thanks for sharing!
Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

Offline CoachParker

• Copper
  • Play for Fun and Winning is Funner!
    • Youth Football Coaching Tips, Talk & Plays
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Wide Tackle 6
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 01:10:07 AM »
We ran more of the double wing version of it back in 2007 and 2008 with 9U and 10U teams.  We had serious speed.  It takes a ton of practice time to perfect.
Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas
Power Wing Beast Offense
62 Multi 8 Defense