Author Topic: My summer job  (Read 2317 times)

Offline Vince148

• Silver
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
My summer job
« on: June 21, 2018, 03:02:12 PM »
So I started working a job for the summer essentially doing the same thing that I do in the HS where I work, run the online lab. I have to have a summer job because I'm not a certified teacher. I'm a parapro. Subsequently, I don't get paid through the summer which makes it necessary to seek summer employment. Last year, I worked on the docks driving a forklift. This year, I was able to get this job doing the same thing. The only difference is that it is in a juvenile detention center. So after a week of TCI training, I started officially on Monday. The week was going pretty well. Kids seem fine and I seem to get along with them. Well, maybe it's the full moon of the first day of summer, but today all hell breaks loose. Three fights break out, one in my classroom. The staff is not even intervening as we were taught. She just sits there. So, I've got two kids rolling around on the floor. Finally, they separate and are now standing up. I get between them and kind of move one kid back while the other just turned and went back to his seat. That was only the beginning. After lunch. more fighting. Day's over now. Hopefully, peace reigns and cooler heads prevail tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 04:59:58 PM by Vince148 »

Offline tiger46

• Copper
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Coordinator
Re: My summer job
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 03:36:10 PM »
Play them at SS and Linebacker.
“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 09:24:01 AM »
I coached at a Catholic HS in NYC, 2 of our coaches were teachers at Riker's Island. They had small cages at the front near their desks. I was wondering if they locked students up in the cages. They laughed & said no it's for the teachers, when a fight breaks out we lock ourselves in the cages.

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline Vince148

• Silver
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 07:42:12 AM »
So after several weeks of very minimal pay and the concern for my safety, I have decided to bid adios and will be starting a new job on Monday taking care of a disabled vet.

Offline wannaxaxa

• Copper
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 03:21:54 AM »
Play them at SS and Linebacker.
maxbet