Author Topic: Doing a minicamp tomorrow  (Read 857 times)

Offline Vince148

• Silver
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
Doing a minicamp tomorrow
« on: June 29, 2018, 06:28:16 AM »
I decided to do a mini camp for our program tomorrow. It won't be anything complex. It's more to try to generate some enthusiasm for the program although it may not be well attended as I found out that there is a baseball tournament this weekend that most of the kids will be at. That's ok though as I was planning to do another in a couple of weeks anyway, so this will be more of a trial run.

It's only going to be about an hour and a half. I'll probably spend about half the time working on running mechanics and speed along with some basic cone drills. From there, probably a few running back and pass receiving drills.

Offline patriotsfatboy1

• Gold
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Double Wing
Re: Doing a minicamp tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 08:20:03 AM »
Kids love the passing and running with the ball drills. If you are using this as a recruiting tool, do a lot of those things.

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: One Back
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 08:22:47 AM »
Generate fun and excitement...does cone drills... you must have great enthusiastic kids
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline coachmiket

• Silver
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 09:46:17 AM »
Generate fun and excitement...does cone drills... you must have great enthusiastic kids

Nothing complex....just some running mechanics and speed.

I'd say run them through some agility stuff to "warm them up".  The 4 corner cone thingy, maybe some of the high knees over the bags while carrying a ball type thing.  Then some sharks and minnows, tug of war, ton of passing, running, catching drills. Then maybe end with either a "scrimmage" of two hand touch or Hawaiian rules football or something.

Forget all the technical stuff. You barely have a program if I recall correctly.  You need players first. Typical young boys aren't going to choose the program where they worked on running form for half of their summer camp.

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 10:29:29 AM »
Forget all the technical stuff.

True, if you can't make the technical stuff enjoyable.  Doesn't matter what you teach if the kids aren't enjoying it.  If you are trying to build numbers, focus on positivity and building relationships with those kids.  If your camp isn't attractive to parents and players, they won't come back.  Make sure it's as lock-down-tight organized as you can make it.  Get names and contact info from everyone that attends, then follow up with them.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 12:32:17 PM »
True, if you can't make the technical stuff enjoyable.  Doesn't matter what you teach if the kids aren't enjoying it.  If you are trying to build numbers, focus on positivity and building relationships with those kids.  If your camp isn't attractive to parents and players, they won't come back.  Make sure it's as lock-down-tight organized as you can make it.  Get names and contact info from everyone that attends, then follow up with them.

--Dave

The best hockey coach my son ever had did a team building activity every summer. He lived in the foothills and was surrounded by miles of trails. He and his coaches would go out and set up problem solving puzzles involving logs, rocks, ropes, etc over a 5 mile course. Each exercise had a theme and a goal (trust, leadership, being a good follower, etc) This was open to all members of our org, but members were encouraged to bring friends, hockey players or not, members or not. In his 3rd year of doing this, he had to scale it down to members, plus screened guests due to numbers getting out of control. 5 years later, my son still talks about those team building adventures.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 04:07:41 PM by gumby_in_co »
Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Offline Vince148

• Silver
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 12:18:12 PM »
We ended up with 6 kids. The temperature was about 84 when we started and 90 by the time we left at 11:30. Kept things moving at a fairly fast pace.

Started out with a light jog.
Did some mini hurdles  and a cone drill that I use to complete the warmup phase.
Moved to running mechanics focusing on arm swing and foot strike. Followed up with some acceleration starts and deceleration drills.

Did some RB drills. Holding the ball. Tug drill ball protection. plant and cut drills. Jump Cut drill. Then a 1-on-1 two hand touch between RB and defender.

Pass receiving drills. Coming at you drill with hand placement.
DB drills: backpedal, backpedal and weave, press coverage, then 1-on-1 with defender and pass receiver. That took us to the end.

As I said, it started getting really hot especially for the last half hour. I could tell that the kids were starting to feel the effects of the heat and wear down even with regular water breaks every 10 minutes or so, but as I'm typing this, it just dawned on me that I went a half hour longer than I was planning. Didn't even realize it. Overall though, it went well. One of the parents came over to me and thanked me for doing it.

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 01:19:47 PM »
as I'm typing this, it just dawned on me that I went a half hour longer than I was planning. Didn't even realize it.

Dang Vince.   ::)

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope