Author Topic: Inside Zone This!  (Read 10061 times)

Offline jem

• Silver
  • "Imagination is more important than knowledge."
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Option
Inside Zone This!
« on: January 30, 2011, 11:30:53 AM »
Ok you Zone-coholics, would you mind showing me how you would IZ block {Right}  this defense with this formation.  Thanks in advance!

j

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 12:00:27 AM by jem »
"I truly believe it’s not what you know – it’s what you can teach."  Tony DeMeo

"Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting."  Napoleon Hill

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: Inside Zone This!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 02:09:29 PM »
Jem

Actually when the D is in a 404 that is a good thing because it clears things up for the linemen. The chances are much greater that we will get combos to the play side. 

We ran IZ in 08 & 09 with average results. We did much better with OZ. Coach Mountjoy gave me some RB pointers for running IZ but we didn’t use this scheme this past season so I have not put this info to the test yet.

It would all depend on how the D reacts after the snap as to what exactly happens…it the perfect world of course.

Since the bubble is over the C and the PSOT our monument would be the inside foot of the PSOG. The QB now has to open up at 6 oclock or he will collide with the back.

BSOT is covered so he cant cut so he will shift to Will (b).

BSOG is uncovered so he will slide step to C looking to take over the combo block on the NG.

C is covered so he will lead step to the far hip of the NG using a very good punch if he can. He must get a good snap off first and why the C must be a pretty good athlete in a zone scheme.

PSOG is uncovered so he will slide step to the PSOT looking to take over the combo block on the PSDT.

PSOT is covered so will take a lead step to the far hip of the PSDT using a very good punch.

TE and R is dependent on how the PSDE plays. If fast and up field the TE would ride him up field with R going inside that block to the PSCB. If the PSDE is a force player then I’d probably switch the TE / R rules.

E horns to the sideline and L headhunts.

So the what ifs now come into play. Who will climb to the LB’rs? That depends on the play of the DL. Do you get a double on Will (b) or Mike (B)? 

The RB now has to make a choice depending on how the LB’rs play. Does he continue his path, bounce or cut back into the D?

Therein is the answer to how many yards will be gained.

What if the NG attacks the backside A gap? What if the PSDT attacks outside? Do the LB’rs fill or scrape. Probably fill since its cover 2 but who knows?  Should the Te play nasty or not? That’s the beauty of zone blocking, whatever the D does they should be wrong….if your boys execute. If that’s the case the FS or SS is making the tackle so how fast can he play down hill?

I'd be interested in Coach Hartmans and Coach Kell's take.

Coach Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]
What is beautiful, lives forever.

CoachKell

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 09:28:08 PM »
Ok you Zone-coholics, would you mind showing me how you would IZ block this defense with this formation.  Thanks in advance!

j

Which way are we running?

Anyway assuming we're running to the right

C/g, have 0 which in this case is the NG

the guards have #1 which in this case if the linebackers to their side they will step check their playside team mate then climb to their assignment both reading the LB's for Spill 

t will step check g climb to b, if g comes off his block to take the spill by b, he will climb to the s

Because T is covered (which looks like a 4 tech in that diagram)  will zone with the G reading B for Spill

L cuts v

R would be wider (8-12 yards) he will release down for S
e same thing down on s

d is left unblocked, held by QB's roll 

E will man D

Runningback A

Primary read is the DT (V) if V crams the b gap the back will read the next down lineman away from the call in this case the Nose, if the nose crams the A gap playside the cutback is behind the center if he stunts to the open side A gap the back will cut to the frontside A gap
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 09:30:09 PM by CoachKell »

Offline jem

• Silver
  • "Imagination is more important than knowledge."
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Option
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 11:59:20 PM »
Which way are we running?

Anyway assuming we're running to the right

I am sorry Right is correct... IZ right.

R would be wider (8-12 yards) he will release down for S

However if R was right where I drew him.... would he still go for S?

thanks,
j
"I truly believe it’s not what you know – it’s what you can teach."  Tony DeMeo

"Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting."  Napoleon Hill

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford

CoachKell

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 09:00:19 AM »
However if R was right where I drew him.... would he still go for S?

thanks,
j

Yep, we don't block corners, unless we are too wide to get to a safety.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 09:53:09 AM »
Rich

How can L cut anyone? Isnt that illegal?

How would you account for the C? Do you figure the play is away by the time C plays run support?

If running out of this formation I'd certainly split R and clean that up some.

Coach Mike

CoachKell

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 10:10:16 AM »
Rich

How can L cut anyone? Isnt that illegal?

Depends on his alignment , as long as it' in the free blocking zone, as long as it's in front

How would you account for the C? Do you figure the play is away by the time C plays run support?
Not sure what you are asking here we use a numbering system, Center blocks closest defender to playside, in this case it would be the NG, since he's in a 0 he will zone with the BSG (g), g will zone with the C looking for the spill of b, of he comes over the top the C will have b, if he attacks the a gap g will have him

If running out of this formation I'd certainly split R and clean that up some.

I agree you have what 120 yards by 51 yards across, I say make them defend it

Coach Mike

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 10:25:42 AM »

Gibbs: We don't block corners, because the corners in our league are just as sh___y tacklers as the corners in your league.

Q: How do you handle that for Cover 2 vs. Cover 3?
Gibbs: Cover 2, Cover 3, Cover f______ 40, block the safety.

Q: What do you do if you have two wide receivers on the same side?
Gibbs: They each block the guy over them.
Q: What if one of them doesn't have a guy over him?
Gibbs: Then we throw him the f______ football.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

CoachKell

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 10:42:51 AM »
Gibbs: We don't block corners, because the corners in our league are just as sh___y tacklers as the corners in your league.

Q: How do you handle that for Cover 2 vs. Cover 3?
Gibbs: Cover 2, Cover 3, Cover f______ 40, block the safety.

Q: What do you do if you have two wide receivers on the same side?
Gibbs: They each block the guy over them.
Q: What if one of them doesn't have a guy over him?
Gibbs: Then we throw him the f______ football.

3 questions 2 f bombs, I love Alex Gibbs

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 10:48:12 AM »
Depends on his alignment , as long as it' in the free blocking zone, as long as it's in front
Not sure what you are asking here we use a numbering system, Center blocks closest defender to playside, in this case it would be the NG, since he's in a 0 he will zone with the BSG (g), g will zone with the C looking for the spill of b, of he comes over the top the C will have b, if he attacks the a gap g will have him

I agree you have what 120 yards by 51 yards across, I say make them defend it

Coach Mike

Rich

Sorry bro....Jem and his funny tagging.... :D....I mean the capitol "C" or the PSCB....if he were playing in tight or manning up on R. 

Coach Mike

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 10:49:13 AM »
He once talked about how every once in a while, a tackle will end up cutting a backside corner.

He said, "You think those guys don't like contact to begin with, you should see them after they get hit by a tackle.  They don't want anything to do with it after that.  They won't go near anybody the rest of the game."
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

CoachKell

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 10:52:56 AM »
Rich

Sorry bro....Jem and his funny tagging.... :D....I mean the capitol "C" or the PSCB....if he were playing in tight or manning up on R. 

Coach Mike
Again to quote Alex Gibbs.." We dont block corners, they F!@#kin suck at taclking at our level just like they do at yours, we block safties, they usually can tackle "

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 10:57:37 AM »
Again to quote Alex Gibbs.." We dont block corners, they F!@#kin suck at taclking at our level just like they do at yours, we block safties, they usually can tackle "

...Gibbs....what a goof.

Our CB's are very good tacklers.  :D They need to be blocked. Safties are the nose pickers.

Coach Mike

Offline jrk5150

• Administrator
  • Platinum
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Double Wing
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 11:00:30 AM »
The past two years, our two best defenders have ended up at CB for us by the end of the year.

CoachKell

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 11:01:41 AM »

...Gibbs....what a goof.

Our CB's are very good tacklers.  :D They need to be blocked. Safties are the nose pickers.

Coach Mike
'

Yeah what does he know  ::)