Author Topic: Inside Zone This!  (Read 10041 times)

Online mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: Inside Zone This!
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 11:03:21 AM »
'

Yeah what does he know  ::)

:D :D :D

Coach Mike
What is beautiful, lives forever.

CoachKell

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 11:42:10 AM »
The past two years, our two best defenders have ended up at CB for us by the end of the year.

Why is that coach,? do you face a lot of passing teams, or see the sweep very often?

Online mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 01:05:46 PM »
Why is that coach,? do you face a lot of passing teams, or see the sweep very often?

Rich

I think this is a good reason to adjust away fromt he Gibbs thinking for CB's.....the sweep is only used in the Pro Bowl at the NFL level....for fun.

You can add reverse and double reverse to that as well.

Coach Mike

CoachKell

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 01:14:49 PM »
Noooo the truck sweep concept has been raging in the NFL for the past few years,   As a matter of Fact, Gibbs is one of the ones that made it famous.

I dont stray away from what someone the likes of Alex Gibbs says

Especially Vs. Man coverage
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-107354466474704440#

I just don't understand putting your best defenders at corner unless you are seeing alot of pass, or sweep

the clip at the end is our sweep play verbatim
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 01:16:34 PM by CoachKell »

Online mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 01:27:12 PM »
Noooo the truck sweep concept has been raging in the NFL for the past few years,   As a matter of Fact, Gibbs is one of the ones that made it famous.

I dont stray away from what someone the likes of Alex Gibbs says

Especially Vs. Man coverage
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-107354466474704440#

I just don't understand putting your best defenders at corner unless you are seeing alot of pass, or sweep

the clip at the end is our sweep play verbatim

Rich

Oh.... so now you are a stick to the plan no matter what guy? Gibbs didnt invent anything...Shanahan did.

I cant watch your video right now....there is a Poltergeist in my 'puter but I will get to it.

Coach Mike

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 01:32:37 PM »
I think Gibbs is great.

But with the little dudes, we block the corners when we run outside, because they're usually pretty good.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

CoachKell

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 01:37:50 PM »
Rich

Oh.... so now you are a stick to the plan no matter what guy? Gibbs didnt invent anything...Shanahan did.

I cant watch your video right now....there is a Poltergeist in my 'puter but I will get to it.

Coach Mike

I didn't say invent... just made popular, however  Shanahan didn't invent it either though. 

I stick to what guys like Gibbs say, I tend to think they know a little more than me .

CoachKell

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 01:39:10 PM »
I think Gibbs is great.

But with the little dudes, we block the corners when we run outside, because they're usually pretty good.

Ok so do we, but the thread was about inside Zone, we don't block the corners on IZ plays

Online mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 01:46:25 PM »
I didn't say invent... just made popular, however  Shanahan didn't invent it either though. 

I stick to what guys like Gibbs say, I tend to think they know a little more than me .

Rich

So you are saying Gibbs can coach the teams you have recently coached better than you.

He would have quit....you didnt.

Its all relative....we yell at our TV's every Sunday because the coaches are idiots....could they do what we do and deal with what we deal with? Maybe. Could we do what they do? No...but the paychecks would be worth the efforts.

Coach Mike

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 01:51:19 PM »
I was mainly alluding to the idea that if there's a difference between "the letter of the law" and "the spirit of the law" when it comes to applying something Alex said, I go with the latter.  I took his comments as "ignore the least dangerous defenders" rather than "ignore the corners."  At his level, they're the same.  At my level, they're not.

And on inside stuff, we don't block the corners, either.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

CoachKell

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 01:56:22 PM »
Rich

So you are saying Gibbs can coach the teams you have recently coached better than you.

He would have quit....you didnt.

Its all relative....we yell at our TV's every Sunday because the coaches are idiots....could they do what we do and deal with what we deal with? Maybe. Could we do what they do? No...but the paychecks would be worth the efforts.

Coach Mike

I'd never be so arrogant to say he couldn't, coach better than me, it's Alex Gibbs,  to say a guy at that level couldn't coach kids would be a stretch .  Now would' he have stayed with that.. Dont know, I know Mountjoy took a look at it and said I was out of my mind to stay there..

I'll always consider myself a student in this game for as long as I'm coaching it .   

Staying in that no win was MY mistake, I should have  bailed on that situation 2 years ago, but stayed on because they were friends.

Could we do what they do.. Maybe, but we have a long way to go

CoachKell

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 01:57:15 PM »
I was mainly alluding to the idea that if there's a difference between "the letter of the law" and "the spirit of the law" when it comes to applying something Alex said, I go with the latter.  I took his comments as "ignore the least dangerous defenders" rather than "ignore the corners."  At his level, they're the same.  At my level, they're not.

And on inside stuff, we don't block the corners, either.

that's a good way to put it

Online mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2011, 02:15:08 PM »
Rich and Michael

So in Jem's alignment....he blocks the near high saftey per the Alex Gibbs rule of thumb and pulls the CB unblocked right into the play?

I agree dont block corners while running inside....unless they are near the POA...which in this case he is. Right?

Coach Mike

CoachKell

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2011, 02:16:48 PM »
From that I might, if he's showing blitz, but in that case I 'd also consider a hot.

Which is why I said I'd spread them out more, however you have to take into account that a CB would be leaving a receiver run free behind him.   So if he's left uncovered we can throw to the flat, and commit the safety to coverage, if he plays man we simply take him along with us to the safety
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 02:19:35 PM by CoachKell »

Offline cyflcoach

• Copper
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2011, 02:17:41 PM »
Alex Gibbs better stay in the NFL and not try to retire and coach his grandson's youth team... he would last only one day, but I would hope like hell that someone was filming practice that day!!!  :D

Dave Hartman
CYFL Coach
"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."

Paul "Bear" Bryant