Author Topic: Inside Zone This!  (Read 10060 times)

Offline jem

• Silver
  • "Imagination is more important than knowledge."
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Option
Re: Inside Zone This!
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2011, 10:01:46 AM »
J

Yep. I did attach a drawing as well.
Coach Mike

DAMN... I don't know how I didn't see that... better drawing than mine... sorry.  All I can figure is the first time I read it I wasn't signed in and didn't notice the paperclip at the top and afterwards when I was signed in I just hit quote and I didn't scroll down far enough to see it... either that or I am losing my freaking mind  ???

OK i just checked Rich's and he didnt attach... whee.. i was beginning to worry.  I better re-read them all with me being signed in and see what I missed.

Ok here is your IZ (Mike):

And here is Rich's:

What I find interesting in the thought processes (besides Rich not blocking corners) is that Rich blocks v (BSDT) and Mike does not.   

One clarification I might ask... Rich says that his A back can run either of the A gaps and also the PS B gap.  Mike your back is showing making the cut in the hole, do you let him slant/bend all the way back to the backside A gap or just cut in the hole?

j
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 10:20:47 AM by jem »
"I truly believe it’s not what you know – it’s what you can teach."  Tony DeMeo

"Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting."  Napoleon Hill

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford

CoachKell

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2011, 12:37:52 PM »
This is the way I understood what you wrote....

j

that looks about right

Online mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2011, 01:50:47 PM »
DAMN... I don't know how I didn't see that... better drawing than mine... sorry.  All I can figure is the first time I read it I wasn't signed in and didn't notice the paperclip at the top and afterwards when I was signed in I just hit quote and I didn't scroll down far enough to see it... either that or I am losing my freaking mind  ???

OK i just checked Rich's and he didnt attach... whee.. i was beginning to worry.  I better re-read them all with me being signed in and see what I missed.

Ok here is your IZ (Mike):

And here is Rich's:

What I find interesting in the thought processes (besides Rich not blocking corners) is that Rich blocks v (BSDT) and Mike does not.   

One clarification I might ask... Rich says that his A back can run either of the A gaps and also the PS B gap.  Mike your back is showing making the cut in the hole, do you let him slant/bend all the way back to the backside A gap or just cut in the hole?

j

J

The BSDT may get blocked. He is getting sifted meaning go ahead and take the outsdie release but not an inside release. The play action of the QB should hold the defender for an instant if that DT take the outside.

The monumnet changes depending on the bubble in the defense so the QB and A must pay attention. For your play shown...the monument is either right of (IZ) or left of (OZ) the bubble in the defense....or run right at the LB'r to the playside.

The back is allowed one cut but must press his monument first all the way to to the LOS. His decesion is dependent on what happens with the LB'rs....shown in Orange. Who climbs?...if anyone and what do the LB'rs do at the snap. So A either bounces...continues his path...or cuts back against the flow. This is why the RB position has to be an intgigrated part of the blocking...and often overlooked.

Coach Mike
What is beautiful, lives forever.

CoachKell

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2011, 04:26:16 PM »
Jem remember the Back has 2 reads that 4 tech then the next down lineman away from the playside, so he wold read the 4tech, then the nose (0)

We block everyone on the LOS with the exception of the BSDE, in my experience the unblocked 4 tech backside would shoot right behind the LOS, and take the back, the BSDE is now free to play the QB on his carryout.

That kills our play action as well... I'm not giving that up
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 04:29:54 PM by CoachKell »

Online mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2011, 11:15:22 AM »
Jem remember the Back has 2 reads that 4 tech then the next down lineman away from the playside, so he wold read the 4tech, then the nose (0)

We block everyone on the LOS with the exception of the BSDE, in my experience the unblocked 4 tech backside would shoot right behind the LOS, and take the back, the BSDE is now free to play the QB on his carryout.

That kills our play action as well... I'm not giving that up

Rich

How did reading the DL work for you this season?

Coach Mike

CoachKell

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2011, 11:28:07 AM »
We ran it with the MS team.. and they did well, but a lot of them were reading the 1st hat, and then I felt just finding daylight backside, instead of actually finding the second hat. 

We drilled the crap out of the backs on the double read, everyday they had it down pretty well.

Offline cyflcoach

• Copper
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2011, 01:00:12 PM »
With kids, we try to teach the back to cut backside on the "V" if there's nowhere to run playside.  Although repetition certainly helps a young back to develop a feel for running it, some kids have the patience required and the burst necessary to excel and many do not, even if they are good ball carriers otherwise.

Dave Hartman
CYFL Coach
"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."

Paul "Bear" Bryant

Online mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2011, 05:21:17 PM »
With kids, we try to teach the back to cut backside on the "V" if there's nowhere to run playside.  Although repetition certainly helps a young back to develop a feel for running it, some kids have the patience required and the burst necessary to excel and many do not, even if they are good ball carriers otherwise.

Dave Hartman
CYFL Coach

Dave

That is very true...all the way to the NFL level.

In all honesty....I wonder if this is something that cant be taught. It seems more like a natural ability. Some kids may never see the forest thru the trees....while others can even anticipate the forest before the snap.

Its the one area I need to work on....finding the right back without wasting time. The times I have run the DW at both the youth and semi pro levels, it was hard to find that WB that could run toss really well. My TB types became FB's and my WR types became WB's. I could never figure out why that was the norm.

Coach Mike