Author Topic: Renegade 10U season  (Read 3420 times)

Offline angalton

• Gold
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Wishbone
  • Title: Head Coach
Renegade 10U season
« on: August 20, 2018, 02:22:09 PM »
I am an assistant with our 10U team this year. The team is split with 9-10 year olds, 24 kids in total. We are a pretty small team, but I think we can do well. First game is this Sunday at 2. We have had 5 total practices with the full team, do to all late sign ups. Very very behind, but I am not worry. I will focus on the very basics and go from there. So far I have Blast, gap, stretch, cross, and counter with 4 formations. We will be running Cox's power pistol.
The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Coordinator
Re: Renegade 10U season
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 03:30:00 PM »
I am an assistant with our 10U team this year. The team is split with 9-10 year olds, 24 kids in total. We are a pretty small team, but I think we can do well. First game is this Sunday at 2. We have had 5 total practices with the full team, do to all late sign ups. Very very behind, but I am not worry. I will focus on the very basics and go from there. So far I have Blast, gap, stretch, cross, and counter with 4 formations. We will be running Cox's power pistol.
You getting video of this? Finding Cox's Power Pistol Game film is nearly impossible.

Offline angalton

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 03:58:07 PM »
The header is supposed to have someone film the games.
The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

Offline angalton

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 10:08:09 PM »
We have 5 players the size of 6 year olds. The 6U team came and mirrored us today, coach didn't show, and 5 of our players were there size. I am having a hard time on what to do with them. They do have to get 8 plays, including special teams.

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 01:13:16 PM »
We have 5 players the size of 6 year olds. The 6U team came and mirrored us today, coach didn't show, and 5 of our players were there size. I am having a hard time on what to do with them. They do have to get 8 plays, including special teams.
DTs or WRs! If they are tough, DTs. If they are wimps, WR!

Offline angalton

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 01:28:43 PM »
I was thinking at wing back, when we run stack.

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 01:30:32 PM »
I was thinking at wing back, when we run stack.
The issue when you do that is you need the offensive plays to get 5 kids in at 8 plays each.

Offline angalton

• Gold
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 01:37:53 PM »
True. One of these players is 44lbs. The rest are in the 60 lb range. WR, Wing, maybe backside tight end. Honestly one could play corner, great tackler, but the rest probably won't see time on defense. I could be pleasantly surprised, as the season progresses.

Offline angalton

• Gold
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 08:26:49 PM »
We took a 25-0 loss today. Defense played great and offense struggled. They scored on 1 punt and 1 kick off. We stopped them on the 2 yard line to end the game. We turned the ball over 3 times with 2 bad snaps and 1 bad hand off. Line stood up and blocked no one and backs we just lethargic. Heat index was 109 today also, but the other team had to play in it also. Coin flip was won we deferred and they chose receive. Ref ask if we wanted to kick.... obviously. They made us kick off to begin the 2nd half also, because we chose to kick.....what? They returned that to go up 12-0. Reverse got us on both TDs they scored on offense. I did not put wedge in this year and regret it.

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 08:29:40 PM »
We took a 25-0 loss today. Defense played great and offense struggled. They scored on 1 punt and 1 kick off. We stopped them on the 2 yard line to end the game. We turned the ball over 3 times with 2 bad snaps and 1 bad hand off. Line stood up and blocked no one and backs we just lethargic. Heat index was 109 today also, but the other team had to play in it also. Coin flip was won we deferred and they chose receive. Ref ask if we wanted to kick.... obviously. They made us kick off to begin the 2nd half also, because we chose to kick.....what? They returned that to go up 12-0. Reverse got us on both TDs they scored on offense. I did not put wedge in this year and regret it.
I had that happen to me on the coin toss once. My first ever HC gig. Boy did I look foolish when we had to kick off twice.

Offline angalton

• Gold
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 08:41:25 PM »
I ask the head" are you sure the refs understand what is going on" . There is always bad calls, but it isn't why we lost. Everything is fixable. Our best athletes and football players were tapping out on me. Not acceptable, my fault, I will get it right.

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 12:42:25 PM »
Coin flip was won we deferred and they chose receive. Ref ask if we wanted to kick.

I don't understand this.  If you won the toss and deferred your choice, your opponent made the choice to receive.  Why would they ask you if you wanted to kick?  Your opponent already made the choice.

I also don't understand (if your choice was deferred) that you had to kick-off in the second half.  I know you didn't choose to kick it.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline SingleWingGoombah

• Silver
  • Because, football.
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 12:55:21 PM »
I had that happen to me on the coin toss once. My first ever HC gig. Boy did I look foolish when we had to kick off twice.

Yeah, but what happened here was incorrect procedure by the refs. 

I wonder what would happen if you said we will receive, after deferring.  How would the ref address that when doing his little who won the toss dance.

"Team A has won the Toss, and deferred."

"Team B has elected to receive"

"Team A has also elected to receive"

Offline angalton

• Gold
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 03:26:28 PM »
The refs completely botched the coin toss. The header said of course we are kicking, should of clarified everything with the refs. Although the refs were wrong, him saying of course we are kicking, screwed us over. I am sure the phrase" are you kicking" was supposed to be " which direction do you want to kick" . Then when we kicked in the second half the ref kept saying " you said of course we are kicking" end of story, court is adjourned. Doesn't make any sense, but that's how it played out. While arguing with the refs, players were not mentally ready. Cut your losses and pull players together to get them focused.

Offline angalton

• Gold
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2018, 03:27:57 PM »

Yeah, but what happened here was incorrect procedure by the refs. 

I wonder what would happen if you said we will receive, after deferring.  How would the ref address that when doing his little who won the toss dance.

"Team A has won the Toss, and deferred."

"Team B has elected to receive"

"Team A has also elected to receive"

Good question