Author Topic: Renegade 10U season  (Read 3419 times)

Offline angalton

• Gold
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Wishbone
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: Renegade 10U season
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2018, 10:59:06 AM »
My guys may have used up my "calm" reserves for the rest of the season and are dipping into next season. I actually spoke with Mahonz at great length. After our last game, it's clear we need to turn up the heat in the physicality and accountability departments. This means turning down the heat on the yelling.

I throw my back pack out about 20 yards from our drill and calmly make them bear crawl around it if they lose focus. Seems to work much better than explaining or yelling.

We have one coach who does all the conditioning and discipline. You don't want sent to Coach Harvey, maybe they do. Some guys see him a lot.
The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

Offline angalton

• Gold
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2018, 11:04:05 AM »
I have had them hold their hand out and move it until it points to the closest person inside of them our outside of them. You could also try Clarke's finger blocking technique.

Pointing to whom you are supposed to block and then not block him. That's where I am at. Not all the time. We just can't get it all together at the same time. It's like my golf game. If I am driving straight and long, my short game stinks. If my short game is good, then I am botching my drives. At least I can have a couple cold ones to ease the frustration.
The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

Offline coachmiket

• Silver
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2018, 11:05:25 AM »
I'm open to any possibility. However, they typically have no idea where the ball is going unless they just assume because we nearly always run off tackle to the long side. I'll try that. "Block towards Jimmy".

Try asking them what they think it means.  Have a short discussion about it on their level.  Tell them there are no wrong answers because you guys are working out a problem and trying to find the solution. 

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2018, 11:21:17 AM »
ask if they would like me to help them fix it. Whatever that answer maybe, I will go with it.

--Does that mean if they say "no," that you aren't going to help them fix it?

They might start caring what their job is supposed to be. I haven't tried this approach yet.

--They will care if you show them 2 things:  that you care about them, and that you care that they are successful.  This is not as easy as it sounds because it's not a 1-time thing ("I showed you that I cared last Tuesday!"), it's an all-the-time, every day thing.  And even if you show them (and most coaches believe that they do), are your players understanding and receiving it?  Many kids don't recognize it because they haven't seen it before, and they haven't seen it demonstrated this way.  (Through sport in general, and football specifically.)  So how do you expect them to comprehend that you care?  Most often, I see coaches who treat their players like $#!+ and then can't understand why their players don't "get it."

Add to that, for many kids you are just the next adult in line to let them down.  And you expect that kid to care?  It doesn't take 100 "Great jobs!" and "Attaboys!" to erase a "You're scared!  If you don't want to hit, then get off the field!"  Nothing will erase that.  And yet coaches continue to "challenge" players through insult, yelling, and threats ("Don't be last!...")

--Dave

« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 11:23:06 AM by CoachDP »
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2018, 11:44:12 AM »
I honestly believe that most coaches are either:

1) So selfish they can only love and care about themselves. 

2) Have no idea how to show love.

3) Believe that showing love somehow makes them, or their players, soft.

Love can be taught and shown as a fundamental.  It has nothing to do with weakness.  It has nothing to do with being soft.  It has everything to do with getting a young man to believe in you, himself and his will to perform. 

When we do bearcrawls, something I do with the players when they have gone for a distance of 240 yards is when they are about 15 yards from the finish, I get down on my knees at the finish line and hold my hand out to them, yelling at them to "Take my hand, you're almost there!"  I strain my body towards them, sticking out my arm as if they were climbing a cliff and I am reaching down to give them something to hold on to, someone who is there to grab on to them and not let them fall.  There's nothing soft or weak about it, or what we do.  But when I tell them how proud I am of them for finishing, and I tell them I knew they were going to get there, it is the first small step in building that relationship of them wanting to perform because they want to achieve success, as opposed to wanting to perform because of the fear of punishment of negativity.  And you are showing them they can count on you.

--Dave

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 7 & Under
  • Defense: 46
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2018, 12:44:20 PM »
I can see it now, " Why are you blocking Jimmy?".

Which would be an improvement over "Coach, I just tackled Jimmy!"
Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2018, 12:51:30 PM »
I have had them hold their hand out and move it until it points to the closest person inside of them our outside of them. You could also try Clarke's finger blocking technique.

We're wall blocking now, so I have them put their outside hand on their inside buddy's shoulder. This reminds them what they are protecting and that no one gets between them and their buddy's shoulder. This is also how we get our splits. Unfortunately, every 10 minutes, they flush their brains, so all knowledge has a shelf life with these dudes. Remembering this from one day to the next? Forget it.

Not all of it is necessarily bad. Take my Y (TE) for example. I'll occasionally fan him out on a troublesome defender. When I did that in the game, he tilted 45 degrees at said defender. I took some hell for that and it was good for some laughs, but what it shows me is that he cares about his job and he has initiative. Right now, he has zero judgement to balance that initiative. One of our mantras is "No Robots!". We want free-thinking football players, so I believe this type of thing will pay off in time.
Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2018, 12:57:33 PM »
Try asking them what they think it means.  Have a short discussion about it on their level.  Tell them there are no wrong answers because you guys are working out a problem and trying to find the solution.

You may be on to something. I'll try that.

Offline angalton

• Gold
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2018, 12:57:41 PM »
I appreciate the feedback. They are a good group of kids. I try not hit them with all negatives. There positive things they are doing. I reinforce those positives. I hold myself accountable also. I have done up downs and bear crawls with them, when the header made them, because I was to blame as much as them. They all run up to me with a million questions and want a fist bump when they do something great. Does this mean they buy in? No. I feel we have a great relationship, but I am losing my patience. I know if I keep up with my impatience and yelling, I will lose all of them. I just have to refocus and coach. I know myself, I can not allow them to do things wrong. Maybe what we are doing is getting mundane and lack of results is frustrating them also.

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2018, 02:13:32 PM »
he tilted 45 degrees at said defender. I took some hell for that and it was good for some laughs

Took hell for it, why?  Was he flagged?  Did he block his man?  Other than it perhaps being an illegal stance, should he not have tilted?

--Dave

The Mission Statement:

Offline coachmiket

• Silver
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2018, 02:15:24 PM »
You may be on to something. I'll try that.

I've had some real awakenings in my coaching life when I've asked a player that is doing something "wrong" what they thought I meant or what led them to those decisions and prefacing it by telling them I need them to be honest because I want to help them fix things.  It's amazing how insightful kids can be when you give them that trust like "hey, we're here to make YOU better, it's not about me."

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2018, 02:19:02 PM »
Took hell for it, why?  Was he flagged?  Did he block his man?  Other than it perhaps being an illegal stance, should he not have tilted?

--Dave

Why? Because that's how we roll, LOL. At that moment, he looked like a poorly coached kid. No, he should not have tilted, but he didn't know that at the time. No idea what the rule is on legal stances.

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2018, 02:24:10 PM »
No idea what the rule is on legal stances.

Offensive linemen can't tilt.  It's the ref's perogative to determine how much tilt is legal.  But regardless, if he tilts and makes his block, then I'm leaving him tilted.

--Dave

The Mission Statement:

Offline angalton

• Gold
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2018, 12:56:50 PM »
We had an awesome practice last night. I got permission from the header to take a couple minutes to talk to the players. I talk to them about my frustration, yelling, and impatience this last week. I got asked if I was ok, is everything good at home, sorry we haven't been listening, that's alright coach, etc. Let them know I was fine and told them I had to refocus on what was important, them. Followed by," I know your frustrated also, so let's refocus, pull together, and just be better than we were yesterday, even if it's just small things. Let's take that approach every time we step on the field.". Speech was over and we split into groups for edds. I do the blocking drills. We do freeze frame LEG (on/left/right) on pads. Then full speed on live bodies. Then we do chip to backer drill freeze frame, the full speed. We finish only on 2 whistle blows. We got through it pretty quickly, while others group was doing tackling drills. Players want to do sumo drill while waiting. Circled up and they were calling each other out, loved it. I ended it and went to find out when other coach was done. He said, " I need to spicen up the drill, kids were lacking motivation.". I turn around and look, WrestleMania XXXX was going on. Called them all over to the spicened up tackling drill and proposed a competition. My group....against his group. We were destroying them for about 3/4 the time, then they started to even it up. EDDs went a little long, but they were having a blast. The attention, learning, and teaching they were doing was the best this year. Found a new QB, FB, and TE. We went full offense and it was night and day from any other practice. I was better, they were better. They were correcting each other and holding themselves and their teammates accountable. I know it wasn't from the speech, but more or less common ground. Common, because we were all frustrated and found out we were not alone. Don't know if this will carry over in the game, but is a building block.

Offline angalton

• Gold
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2018, 12:57:54 PM »
Still some mistakes, but cut down to very minimal.