Author Topic: Centers foot work when setting the base in TKO  (Read 534 times)

Offline OlineUno

• Copper
  • Pop Warner
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
Centers foot work when setting the base in TKO
« on: August 23, 2018, 04:09:01 PM »
Center's footwork setting the TKO

I know it is 2 steps...is that he case if he has no one one him? What is he has someone in his bs gap? Just trying to make sure I'm teaching it correctly. Any help out there...we're using Jack's TKO

thanks all
Those who say it can't be done, shouldn't interfere with those who are doing it.

Offline spidermac

• Gold
  • Coaching: 7 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Pistol
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: Centers foot work when setting the base in TKO
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 12:42:03 PM »
I have my C snap the ball first, okay that is obvious, point of emphasis, get the snap first, then step with the playside foot into you track, follow with the backside foot. If there is someone lined up in the playside A gap, that is the G's responsibility.
None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

Offline dcooz

• Benefactors
  • Copper
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Double Wing
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 01:22:53 PM »
Don't be afraid to make a decision to have your center help Double someone destroying your A gap if your G can't handle him. Just make sure they Double him to his the Gs track. I also have my Center and G double a NG head up over my center onto Gs track. Ran into issues with my G not being able to handle a stud blowing up the A gap and that corrected it. Just my opinion.

Offline patriotsfatboy1

• Benefactors
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Double Wing
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 02:19:00 PM »
I have my C snap the ball first, okay that is obvious, point of emphasis, get the snap first, then step with the playside foot into you track, follow with the backside foot. If there is someone lined up in the playside A gap, that is the G's responsibility.

This is pretty much what we did.  I found both G's responsibilities were more important than the footwork of the center. We wanted a clean snap, playside G firing out and starting to build that wall with the C at the apex and the BSG pulling in a circle to pick off any LB trying to come over the top of the wall. 

Our C was always MOMA (man-on, man-away), so we did not worry about playside A gap with the C. 

Offline bigshel

• Silver
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 05:43:27 PM »
If OlineUno is who I think he is, then his center is uncovered by rule at that level of play, and he will probably have a 1 or 2 tech and a 4 or 5 tech backside. Getting to that away side 1 or 2 tech will be a priority to cover for the pulling BSG.

That said, I would have the C step with the away side foot first, since the tight splits make the difference between a 1 and 2 tech fairly small in terms of distance to cover and so would not significantly increase the distance the PSG has to cover to get to his landmark.