Author Topic: Defensive scheme question (need suggestion)  (Read 553 times)

Offline flexbone

• Copper
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Option
  • Title: Head Coach
Defensive scheme question (need suggestion)
« on: September 10, 2018, 05:42:40 AM »
Middle School football

We have played 2 scrimmage and a game. For some reason this year, all 3 teams we faced have REALLY big OL, I'm talking about 6'+ and have to be at least 250+
First team had 2
2nd team had 4
3rd team has 3

We will see all 3 teams again. They are big but slow. We run a basic 4-3 Under 1 gap defense Cover 3 (looks like a 4-4). From film, I noticed that our DL kids (anywhere from 5'0-5'5) want to set up the OL going one way and then rush the other gap (aka not doing what their assigned gap is). But I also noticed it was effectively because the slow OL couldn't stay with them. I got on them about "doing your job", problem is they will get swallowed up by these bigger OL since they are just charging/attacking their gap. Last game, we were getting nickle and dimed with I-formation Iso, this is with us sending 7-8 guys.

Here is my question/dilemma:
I've thought about adding in gap exchange stunt calls for DL & LB to allow them to stunt and exchange gaps

I've also thought about switching to a 3-3 stack and stunting every play to get our kids moving and a better chance for a play plus possible OL confusion. (any 3-3 stack resources anyone recommend?)

REGARDLESS of scheme, the big emphasis will be on pursuit, block shedding, and tackling

Thoughts on what you would do?

Offline patriotsfatboy1

• Gold
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Double Wing
Re: Defensive scheme question (need suggestion)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 08:38:26 AM »
Regardless of your front, I would have a call to have players switch their gap assignments.  I usually mix it up so that the OL does not know which way their assigned block will go. 

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: One Back
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 09:08:00 AM »
Middle School football

We have played 2 scrimmage and a game. For some reason this year, all 3 teams we faced have REALLY big OL, I'm talking about 6'+ and have to be at least 250+
First team had 2
2nd team had 4
3rd team has 3

We will see all 3 teams again. They are big but slow. We run a basic 4-3 Under 1 gap defense Cover 3 (looks like a 4-4). From film, I noticed that our DL kids (anywhere from 5'0-5'5) want to set up the OL going one way and then rush the other gap (aka not doing what their assigned gap is). But I also noticed it was effectively because the slow OL couldn't stay with them. I got on them about "doing your job", problem is they will get swallowed up by these bigger OL since they are just charging/attacking their gap. Last game, we were getting nickle and dimed with I-formation Iso, this is with us sending 7-8 guys.

Here is my question/dilemma:
I've thought about adding in gap exchange stunt calls for DL & LB to allow them to stunt and exchange gaps

I've also thought about switching to a 3-3 stack and stunting every play to get our kids moving and a better chance for a play plus possible OL confusion. (any 3-3 stack resources anyone recommend?)

REGARDLESS of scheme, the big emphasis will be on pursuit, block shedding, and tackling

Thoughts on what you would do?

From my talks with Butch Ford about 10-1 the 26 is how they started using speed to beat bigger olineman.

2, 2 tech tackles
2, 6 tech ends

If you predominantly run an under then they would slant away from strength. The trick is...to slant into the guy, in the direction you are slanting before going up field. You essentially draw 2 blockers and get penetration same time. Esp if they are in a 4 point stance that the chest is only 10 inches off the ground.

Ide stick with cover 3 and play everything the same...the slant and 26 is an easy install, pm if you need...teaching gap exchange might be overkill imo.

"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline 32wedge

• Copper
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: 46
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 09:25:42 AM »
From my talks with Butch Ford about 10-1 the 26 is how they started using speed to beat bigger olineman.

2, 2 tech tackles
2, 6 tech ends

If you predominantly run an under then they would slant away from strength. The trick is...to slant into the guy, in the direction you are slanting before going up field. You essentially draw 2 blockers and get penetration same time. Esp if they are in a 4 point stance that the chest is only 10 inches off the ground.

Ide stick with cover 3 and play everything the same...the slant and 26 is an easy install, pm if you need...teaching gap exchange might be overkill imo.

We are doing something very similar to what Zach explained. 

We are pinching our 6 tech DEs and slanting our 2 tech DTs to strength and it does a good job of clogging up the middle and stopping I Form ISO which we see a lot also.  Our DTs/DEs are usually making the tackles before the MLB gets there.

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 11:27:30 AM »
Why would you want to install a completely different defense?

You can Flex The Front and use stunts to account for some of the variables.  The Problem is that when you sell out to stop the run PA Passing will gash you.  Be Less predictable with your front.  Pinch, Fan, Slant,

jmho
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)