Author Topic: making the switch to DCWT this season  (Read 5156 times)

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: DC Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: making the switch to DCWT this season
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2018, 02:08:17 PM »
Its tough to stop if you don't shoot yourself in the foot.
Also you have to pull the reigns back to adding too much.
A common theme I have seen among coaches who run this offense is its so easy to add plays they don't know when to stop.
Robert

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

Offline bayoubengal

• Copper
  • Coaching: 9 & Under
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2018, 02:55:39 PM »
Also you have to pull the reigns back to adding too much.
A common theme I have seen among coaches who run this offense is its so easy to add plays they don't know when to stop.
I can see that being a problem. we run 10 plays and were getting to the point where we can run from different formations effectively. same plays just a different look. at 7/8 age group I like to max at 15 ish and be able to run 10 plays very efficiently. next season I see that almost doubling as ill have the same group of kids and a full year of dcwt under our belts

played the 2nd best team in our league Saturday and it was tough sledding but we ground out a 6-0 win....defense is really stout and that helps
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 02:57:55 PM by bayoubengal »

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2018, 05:00:20 PM »
I can see that being a problem. we run 10 plays and were getting to the point where we can run from different formations effectively. same plays just a different look. at 7/8 age group I like to max at 15 ish and be able to run 10 plays very efficiently. next season I see that almost doubling as ill have the same group of kids and a full year of dcwt under our belts
Awesome, its a fun offense for sure.

played the 2nd best team in our league Saturday and it was tough sledding but we ground out a 6-0 win....defense is really stout and that helps

I would concentrate on defense early in the season and just wedge and 23, 47 teams to death until our offense picked up steam.

I could wedge block and run just about every play we had.

we ran a wedge 32 counter for a 60 yard TD un touched
Robert

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

Offline bayoubengal

• Copper
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2018, 09:36:12 PM »
Wedge is coming together nicely. We ran it 4 times Saturday for two 2 pt conversions and a 7 yd TD...finally got 47 speed to work at practice so we ran it for the first time in a game....3 plays = 3 tds twice from base and once from trips.

Offline joshv155

• Gold
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #94 on: October 01, 2018, 11:25:15 AM »
Wedge is coming together nicely. We ran it 4 times Saturday for two 2 pt conversions and a 7 yd TD...finally got 47 speed to work at practice so we ran it for the first time in a game....3 plays = 3 tds twice from base and once from trips.

Clark helped me a ton with 47 speed. Was the bane of my DCWT playbook. We have it working pretty good now. We have only run it 5-6 times in 4 games but it is averaging 15 yards or so. Do you have a video clip of your team running it ?

We had the SE too wide, so he couldn't get to the corner in time to make the block. Cheat your HB behind the LT and up a step to get the DE, they won't notice. WB has to be FULL SPEED on the hand off. That will slow the play down as well.
Passio Bellator

Offline DREagle

• Bronze
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #95 on: October 01, 2018, 11:34:46 AM »
Clark helped me a ton with 47 speed. Was the bane of my DCWT playbook. We have it working pretty good now. We have only run it 5-6 times in 4 games but it is averaging 15 yards or so. Do you have a video clip of your team running it ?

We had the SE too wide, so he couldn't get to the corner in time to make the block. Cheat your HB behind the LT and up a step to get the DE, they won't notice. WB has to be FULL SPEED on the hand off. That will slow the play down as well.

We moved our HB out to slot for 47 speed this week to help him get a better angle on a really large DE.  Worked great, just have to make sure that you run some other plays out of that same formation.  It brought the OLB out further which clarified the "nearest deepest" rule for the SE.  CB went with the SE and it was off to the races.

Offline bayoubengal

• Copper
« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2018, 11:58:45 AM »

sent you a PM