Author Topic: Technique Disappears During Games  (Read 1530 times)

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
Re: Technique Disappears During Games
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2018, 08:19:23 PM »
First off, Frankenstein Tackling is a huge pet peeve of mine. About 15 years ago, we had an undefeated team that won the conference. This was JV football at the time. Reviewing game video I kept seeing the same mistake. All reaching with their arms. I was teaching tackling the same way I had for over 25 years. Hell we were undefeated.

I remembered what one of mentors had said. "If 1 or 2 players are making the same mistake it could just be them, if more are making the same mistake it's the coaching." I then took stock of our coaching & did some research. I came across Coach Randy Shannon teaching tackling at Miami. He did a 3 tier tacking circuit every day. I then took those drills & called it Miami Tackling Circuit. Now, we have changed how we teach tackling over the last 15 years, the principles still remain the same.

Of course I agree with DP that agression plays a huge part in good tackling, but good form is also needed. We start with a non contact drill with the tackler on his knees. The progression is Hit Hands Hips, we stress these 3 words in every drill we do. Now I have also seen coaches use tennis balls under the arm pits for a tackle, as well as a broom stick behind the back & through the arms. All are effective & work. Figure out what you need most. Then work it.

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline Spyder89

• Copper
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 46
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2018, 07:55:40 AM »
I then took those drills & called it Miami Tackling Circuit. Now, we have changed how we teach tackling over the last 15 years, the principles still remain the same.

Joe

Joe,

If you don't mind me asking, what does this circuit entail?

- Ray
- Ray

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2018, 10:25:53 AM »
Spyder

Actually quite simple. 3 Stations

Players on their knees, sitting on their heels.

Hit- Shoulder is placed into the BC on correct side.

Hands- Hands are violently thrusted upwards grabbing cloth.

Hips- Hips are thrusted forward, butt rising from heels.

Typical angle tackling drill emphasizing head position & HIT HANDS HIPS. The distance is short & form important.

Angle & Strip

Angle drill with a second man in to Strip or punch.

Now of course how you do the drills matters. They have to be high energy & efficient. We normally we would break the team into 3 groups, each group taking a station. Once the way to do the drill was taught it would progress to 4 minutes a station 15 minutes over all.

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline Spyder89

• Copper
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 46
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2018, 10:28:22 AM »
Thanks, Joe.
- Ray

Offline tiger46

• Copper
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Coordinator
“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

Offline crissaitch

• Copper
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Stack
  • Offense: Wishbone
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2018, 08:32:49 PM »
Tennis balls in the armpits... hmm... that could really help solve the “angel wings” problem I have.

Can i ask for details? ie Is this done with a walking pace, or chop the feet and close on the ball?

I only have one week left in my season and will probably take a year off, but that doesn’t mean I want to stop learning.

Online Coach Brad

• Copper
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Pistol
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2018, 10:38:40 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd_-r2UrQdA

Did the drill @ 4:10 last night. One of the best tackling sessions we've ever had!

Didn't hurt that we had a few CFL players come out to practice and spend some time with our kids. The kids were jacked, never seen the intensity rise to quickly and to such a level. Wish they could come watch our games each week lol.