Author Topic: Christmas Meals  (Read 517 times)

Offline Coach E

• Benefactors
  • Silver
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Assistant
Christmas Meals
« on: December 26, 2018, 11:35:16 AM »
What was your big meal for the holiday season? Every year, my mom picks a theme for our Christmas Eve dinner and we all participate by bringing a dish that goes along with the theme. Two years ago, it was French. Last year, we did recipes from Amy Thielen. This year was Spanish. Since we host at our house, we made the main course. I did ribs on the grill that were absolutely dynamite. I made a Spanish-inspired dry rub and let them sit for about 4 hours before grilling. I also made a red bell pepper sauce to go along with them that was perfect. I surprised the hell out of myself.

My mom brought a potato dish that consisted of thinly sliced potatoes layered with spinach, cheese and ham.

My older sister brought Spanish meatballs that were unbelievable.

My younger sister brought a cranberry cheese pull apart bread.

We also had Spanish green beans sauteed in garlic oil with tomatoes, pine nuts and spices; a salad with jicama and grapefruit slices; and, to top it off, Spanish champagne.

This was one of the best meals we've ever had.

Last night was crown roast, grilled pork roast with stuffing, roasted root vegetables and wild rice & spinach salad.

Happy bellies all around.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
- Marcus Aurelius

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Coordinator
Re: Christmas Meals
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 12:11:28 PM »
We had my step mom's traditional lasagna. We have it every Christmas.

Online Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 12:49:45 PM »
We hosted Girlfriends side of the Family.  We decided on Prime Rib Roast , Garlic Mashed Taters,  Green Beans and Corn. 

500 degrees for 20 minutes to seer then 14 mins per pound at 325 degrees.   In general that means the meat closest to the ends are Medium Well (Pink) going towards Medium Rare in the Center.  Meat could be cut with a butter knife!!  DELUXE even if I do say so myself.   8)   
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline bigshel

• Silver
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 01:13:46 PM »
Our family's traditional Christmas dinner is my famous seafood alfredo lasagna with shrimp, lobster, and crab. Always a hit. Everyone brings their own tupperware, so rarely any leftovers.

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 08:39:02 AM »
I did a leg of lamb this year. One of my favorites. Rubbed it with fresh rosemary, roasted garlic, salt and a little brown sugar. Roasted potatoes and some mashed sweet potatoes for the wifey with some roasted veggies. Very simple all around. I let the food itself be the star instead of trying to get fancy. It paid off. The wife wants leg of lamb once a month from this point on. Ok by me.

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
  • Defense: Killer Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 10:48:48 AM »
I did a leg of lamb this year. One of my favorites. Rubbed it with fresh rosemary, roasted garlic, salt and a little brown sugar. Roasted potatoes and some mashed sweet potatoes for the wifey with some roasted veggies. Very simple all around. I let the food itself be the star instead of trying to get fancy. It paid off. The wife wants leg of lamb once a month from this point on. Ok by me.
I would be ok if you made me leg of lamb once a month too, lol.

Online Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 04:33:52 PM »
We had celebratory meals at friends' & relatives on the 24th & 25th, but the interesting tip was one I got on the 25th from my cousin's...uh...I can never keep relationships straight...maybe cousin's bro-in-law.  Anyway, he brought candied yams made by dicing raw sweet potatoes, sauteeing them w salt, sugar, & cinnamon, then baking them.  A few days later I used that technique for us here.  Making small dice from a raw sweet potato requires a cutting board, heavy knife/cleaver, & both hands.

I've been dogged by under-cooked potatoes, white or sweet, when roasted w meat.  I've addressed that previously by microwaving the potatoes before or even after baking.  Whole or halved potatoes need more time than even long-cooking meat like chicken parts, and even hours-long low temperature roasting w meat in the over doesn't seem to do it for potatoes -- sometimes not even for whole carrots if they're big, but at least undercooked carrots aren't bad.  I find I have to microwave the potatoes until nearly done before xferring them to the roasting pan w the meat.  But pre-dicing them is too much work to revisit often.

Online CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 04:58:18 PM »
I had pasta and filet mignon, a double stuffed potato, a Meiomi pinot noir and tiramisu for dessert at Kaiser's Grille in Palm Springs.  Had enough to take home for leftovers on Christmas Day.  4 stars.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline CHARLIEDONTSURF

• Copper
  • Title: Other
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 09:46:44 PM »
We had my step mom's traditional lasagna. We have it every Christmas.
Oh man. I miss good lasagna. It’s hard to find legit Italian food in Texas.

Usually fry a turkey or do a brisket for Christmas but this year we went out for Russian. Did it family style - dumplings, kebab, stroganoff, stuffed cabbage. And vodka. :)

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 07:04:37 AM »
No piroshki?

Online Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 09:30:10 PM »
Apparently we're doing a turkey for Washington's Birthday (the holiday, not his actual), & this time the turkey-bringer asked us to contribute stuffing, so rather than buying mix as suggested, I'll be making it, for like about the 2nd time in my life.  Seems like a waste of bread, but the time I tried instead to make it from flour gnocchi wasn't so successful.

BTW, it really is still officially Wash.'s B'day Holiday, not President's Day as the car dealers (& IIRC a couple states) would have it.