Author Topic: Getting back to what I did before coaching football  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: DC Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
Getting back to what I did before coaching football
« on: January 07, 2019, 10:30:52 AM »
Those of you who know me know I have a huge automotive and racing backround. Before coaching football my time was filled with kids racing, quartermidgets to be exact. please google quartermidgets before you judge and make fun of the name. LOL

I didn't get into football till my youngest son came home one day and said he wanted to play football. We raced for a few more years till my oldest couldn't keep his grades so we got out of racing and went full football.

Now I have been helping numerous people set up their cars both big (late models modifieds etc.) and small (QM and legends etc) and me and someone I race with came to me and we have decided to open up a QM track here in Houston area. So very soon the Bayou City Quarter Midget Association will have our 501C3 status and be sanctioned by USAC (united states auto club)

One of the biggest hurdles we will need to overcome is getting the asphalt or concrete laid down for the racing surface. We are setting up on a parking lot surface so far with 15K in soft walls. Who would have thought those things were so spendy?  :)

We are in the process of finding land that my friend is going to purchase so we can have our own permanent facility and the club will have for many years to come.

Wish me luck and if anyone has words of advice it'll all be listened to

Robert

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Retired
Re: Getting back to what I did before coaching football
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 01:12:38 PM »
Cool as Hell Robert.   Follow your Passion!!

Good Luck

Dusty
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 10:50:44 PM »
Those of you who know me know I have a huge automotive and racing backround. Before coaching football my time was filled with kids racing, quartermidgets to be exact. please google quartermidgets before you judge and make fun of the name. LOL

I didn't get into football till my youngest son came home one day and said he wanted to play football. We raced for a few more years till my oldest couldn't keep his grades so we got out of racing and went full football.
Football's less drag on school grades than car racing is?  Or is that some kind of racing-related grading?

I like the idea of a saying a contemporary coach thought football was getting too dangerous, so he got the kids into auto racing instead.   ;D

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 07:25:33 AM »
Football's less drag on school grades than car racing is?  Or is that some kind of racing-related grading?
Different kid. My oldest wanted to race. His parents made a parental decision and he couldn't because he was told to get his grades up to what his parents wanted. We stick to our guns, we don't threaten with no extra curricular activity we follow through

I like the idea of a saying a contemporary coach thought football was getting too dangerous, so he got the kids into auto racing instead.   ;D
Never said football was too dangerous.
Never said racing was too dangerous.
They both have their danger like any sport, we just try to limit that risk with training and safety equipment.

Robert

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 08:42:11 PM »
Never said football was too dangerous.
No, but I'd love to be able to tell people you did, & then switched the kids to auto racing!

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 03:49:26 PM »
If I ever come back in another life, it will be as a Formula 1 racing driver.  Preferably as a test driver.  (Akin to being a backup QB in the NFL.  Hold the clipboard, don't take the hits, make the $$$.)  Then after my sponsorship from Credit Suisse, TAG Heuer, or Hublot goes south, I'll come to the States and convince Penske that I'm the right guy for him to add a 5th driver to his Indycar team.  Then, when I retire after winning the 500, Penske will invite me to install my P.A.I.N! Program with his pit crew and run his new AMG dealership in Palm Springs.

Racing's my favorite sport.  Nothing else comes close.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 04:31:05 PM »
If I ever come back in another life, it will be as a Formula 1 racing driver.  Preferably as a test driver.  (Akin to being a backup QB in the NFL.  Hold the clipboard, don't take the hits, make the $$$.)  Then after my sponsorship from Credit Suisse, TAG Heuer, or Hublot goes south, I'll come to the States and convince Penske that I'm the right guy for him to add a 5th driver to his Indycar team.  Then, when I retire after winning the 500, Penske will invite me to install my P.A.I.N! Program with his pit crew and run his new AMG dealership in Palm Springs.

Racing's my favorite sport.  Nothing else comes close.

--Dave
Holy crap...... you think you know a guy,........... then he throws this at you...............

I hope racing can get back up. There is a host of Nascar drivers that is trying to save the grass roots racing movement here in the USA. USAC is opening up more Quartermidget clubs (we have been given sanction by them late last week) and I can only hope that putting a quartermidget track in the 4th largest area in the US can help that cause.

I cut my teeth at El Cajon speedway in the San Diego area and then went to Orange Show Speedway in the late 80's early 90's and raced Vegas, Blythe, Mesa Marin, Madera, Irwindale (Toyota Speedway)  and others.
Maybe you went to a race and saw me and didn't know it.  ;)
Robert

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 05:23:51 PM »
Maybe you went to a race and saw me and didn't know it.

My father used to drag race at Aquasco Speedway (among others) in the early '60s.  (Still have the trophies.)  In 2000, I went to Montreal to see the Formula One Grand Prix of Canada.  Have been to NASCAR and IROC races.  My ex's brother-in-law works for Goodyear/NASCAR out of Charlotte.  Deb's brother also races.  That's him in the pic below.

--Dave
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 05:25:36 PM by CoachDP »

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 05:32:07 PM »
I am the ultimate car guy/speed freak.  Perhaps it's why I have so many toys now.  Once took my Plymouth Colt up to 112 mph on a trip to Charlotte.  Yep, got pulled.  Cop was nice enough to reduce it to 89 in a 75.  Loved that Colt.  Removed the back seat.  Ran 205s on the rear and 195s up front.  That's it below:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 05:34:05 PM by CoachDP »

The Mission Statement:

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 05:40:33 PM »
You are a nut ,...Errr I mean freak.
Getting that up to 120

When I go fast at least its a little safe  ;D

Robert

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 05:45:36 PM »
You are a nut ,...Errr I mean freak.

You were right the first time.  Had these 2 cars when I was a kid, my dad's '64 MGB and '64 Impala SS.  That's a well-rounded education:  I could appreciate American muscle as well as pure sports cars.

--Dave

The Mission Statement:

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 05:51:00 PM »
Love that impala

The MGB,.... Is that the one with 2 6 volt batteries wired in series to make up the 12 volt system behind the front seasts on the floorboard because of handling.

They put 2 batteries, one on each side, to balance the chassis out.

The percentage of weight from the batteries was enough to warrant the placement

Robert

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 06:00:38 PM »
The MGB,.... Is that the one with 2 6 volt batteries wired in series to make up the 12 volt system behind the front seats on the floorboard because of handling.

That's the one.  I want to take my rail to Indy and see if they'll let me take it out for a few shakedown laps!  'Course, it'll take about 30 minutes to do a lap there with an air-cooled 1600.

--Dave

The Mission Statement:

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 06:07:14 PM »
That's my brother Bob, doing his thing in his Corvette.

--Dave

The Mission Statement:

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 06:10:35 PM »
Bob built this:

The Mission Statement: