Author Topic: My 2019 Spring Season Games 1-6, GM7, GM8, Championship Bowl Game  (Read 1736 times)

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 7 & Under
  • Defense: DC 46
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: My 2019 Spring Season Games 1-6, GM7, GM8, Championship Bowl Game
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2019, 01:58:56 PM »
Welp. I guess I should be careful what I wish for, lol.

It was a very difficult season from the first game to the last.

I have probably coached in close to 500 games. Always finished every one of them until this season when one of the games was called early in the 4th Q because the Refs had lost control.

Lots of injuries which happens until this year when they happened because of filthy dirty tactics by the opponent. And Im not exaggerating.

Never thought an undefeated Championship run would be like this. I should be giddy today....meh. It was fun to see the looks on the kids faces afterwards but nothing satisfying for me personally.

A very forgettable season.
Collect moments, not wins.

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Defense: 46
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2019, 03:02:44 PM »
So, what is that exactly?

--Dave
So, what is that exactly?

--Dave

Player gets tackled hard. Campaigns unsuccessful for a horse collar. Next play, he is blocking and takes a run at the same kid he injured in the last game. They both end up out of bounds. Their player’s helmet comes off for the 5th time in 2 games. He starts campaigning unsuccessfully for a personal foul. When he doesn’t get it, he goes on for 2 straight minutes to the white hat:
“Bitch ass ho”
“Bitch ass n-word”
“You gettin’ paid, punk ass ho”
“Let’s get that fade”, which I am told is an invitation to fight.
“Yeah, gonna get that ass in the parking lot”
On and on
Then tried to instigate a brawl after the handshake line. I intervened and turned about 8 kids away.

BTW, this jack wad kneeled with his helmet off for the National Anthem.
Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2019, 03:10:54 PM »
Player gets tackled hard. Campaigns unsuccessful for a horse collar. Next play, he is blocking and takes a run at the same kid he injured in the last game. They both end up out of bounds. Their player’s helmet comes off for the 5th time in 2 games. He starts campaigning unsuccessfully for a personal foul. When he doesn’t get it, he goes on for 2 straight minutes to the white hat:
“Bitch ass ho”
“Bitch ass n-word”
“You gettin’ paid, punk ass ho”
“Let’s get that fade”, which I am told is an invitation to fight.
“Yeah, gonna get that ass in the parking lot”
On and on
Then tried to instigate a brawl after the handshake line. I intervened and turned about 8 kids away.

BTW, this jack wad kneeled with his helmet off for the National Anthem.

Dont forget Mother f-ing wetback.

Evan asked me if Mother f-ing wetback was a bad word.  :'(

( Evan is my 8 years old grandson who was our waterboy )

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2019, 08:22:05 PM »
Dont forget Mother f-ing wetback.

Evan asked me if Mother f-ing wetback was a bad word.  :'(

There was a lot of other stuff I couldn’t decipher.
Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: DC Wing T
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2019, 09:05:55 PM »

Mom had the final say huh?

Was Evan the one you were campaigning for play?
Robert

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2019, 11:14:05 PM »
Mom had the final say huh?

Was Evan the one you were campaigning for play?

He played last Fall. The was our watrerboy last night for the big boys.

He was in Hog Heaven last night...and learned a few new words.  :P

He is hooked...and Mom is powerless to stop it.  8)

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2019, 11:15:07 PM »
Spectacular Banquet tonight.

There is hope for me after all.  :)

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2019, 11:38:08 AM »
I emailed the young man’s varsity HC and got a nice reply. No surprise that he is a problem for the “whole building“. HC’s words. Apparently, he is suspended from the program until he meets certain behavior and academic standards.

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2019, 01:51:32 PM »
Here goes:

We meet at our practice field at 5pm, about a 30 minute drive from the stadium. We do our warm up routine, do a brief walk through, then leave for the stadium at 6 for a 7pm kickoff. Arrive at the stadium around 6:40 for the pageantry. The National Anthem is played and "Q", an extremely talented, but immature, selfish, dirty and foul-mouthed opponent keeps his helmet on and kneels for the Anthem. There are about 30 fans in the stands, so I'm not sure who this was intended for. Each player is introduced and runs toward midfield.

We win the toss and elect to receive, or maybe they win and defer. I don't know, but we are getting the ball. They onside kick, but run past the ball. There is no call. Our player jumps in the air to cover. They catch him in the air and throw him to the ground. Whatever. Our ball at our own 45.

We open up with a quick out to our eligible Center. He is open, but our QB has happy feet and sails it over his head for a near INT. Next play is another quick out to our H back, who is also open, but again, happy feet sails the ball over his head for another near INT. 3rd and 10. QB blast off the left side for 5 yards. 4th and 5. Throw a deep corner to our inside sniffer out of trips bunch right into triple coverage. Happy feet again for another near pick. Turnover on downs.

1st and 10 bad guys. QB scrambles on a broken play, breaks 2 tackles in the backfield and turns disaster into a 2 yard gain. 2nd and 8. They run a dive out of their "shotgun T" to the middle back. He bounces it outside, breaks 2 tackles in the backfield and turns disaster into a 4 yard gain. 3rd and 4. They try the "go on 2" and false start. 3rd and 9. The false start again. 3rd and 14. They go power toss left out of shotgun T to the trail back for a 3 yard gain. 4th and 11. Out of a 2 TE, 2 flanker set, they throw a Hail Mary to their stud. Our CB out jumps him and gets the ball, but their stud rips it out of our CBs hands for a 25 yard reception. 1st and 10 on our 25. Timeout is called. Non-defensive coaches, and other adults are yelling to "wrap up". I go out to the field and tell the D to ignore them. I explain that if we get 5 or more to the ball, you don't need to wrap up. Stop "playing 'lookie lookie' and get some green jerseys to the ball."  Next play is a QB keep out of split backs shotgun (???). 7 defenders smash him for a 7 yard loss. Lazy spot gives them 2nd and 15. from the 30. Split backs dive to "Q" for +11. 3rd and 4.  Split backs shotgun, QB keep left. QB covers 30+ yards to gain maybe 1. 4th and 3.  Bubble screen for -5. 4 defenders on him when the whistle blows. Turnover on downs.

1st and 10 from our own 22. We go QB blast left (from our near hash toward our sideline) 3 straight plays for 9.8 yards. 4th and inches. We break from the formula and run a read option to our power back, but he is smashed for a loss. Turnover on downs.

Not looking good. Offense is anemic and they have threats all over the place. They have the momentum and are deep in our territory.

1st and 10 from our 30 for the bad guys. 2 TE, 2 flankers, Ace backfield from gun, read option. FUMBLE!!! My "Little Engine that Could", never miss a practice rotating at NT recovers and we get a stay of execution.

1st and 10 from our own 30. QB blast to the near sideline for 5. 2nd and 5. Repeat for plus 3. 3rd and 2. Hey, it's working so go back to the well for +4. 1st and 10. Center takes his time snapping so the entire offense false starts. 1st and 15. Scat back subs for the QB and we run blast for +2. 2nd and 13. OC notices that our 98lb DT who also plays WR is being covered by #3, who doesn't quite belong on this team of monsters. We dial up a 9 route down the near sideline. #3 stumbles on his coverage and the nearest ugly is 10 yards away. Happy feet settles down, but doesn't set his feet properly and misses our receiver by 10 feet. Receiver adjusts and tries a basket catch going out of bounds, but it's just not enough. 3rd and 13. QB blast left for 10 yards. 4th and 3. End of 1st quarter.

QB blast left (toward the hostile sideline) on 4th and 3. QB is hit at the LOS, but spins, fights, drives and leaps for a 5 yard gain. He is feeling the mojo now, at least on his feet. Still sketchy throwing the ball. 1st and 10 on the bad guys' 47. DISASTER! Bad snap for -15. 2nd and 22 from our own 35.  >:(  Quick corner route to the H back for +12. 3rd and 10. Another bad snap on a pass play, but QB jukes and jives in the backfield and takes off for a gain of 8, spins, drives and leaps and . . . FUMBLE! Bad guys take over on their own 40.

1st and 10. Split backs shotgun dive for what looks like no gain. Defense is starting to punish the ball now. Iffy spot gives him +3. 2nd and 7. Shotgun I toss right for 2 yards. 3rd and 5. Swing screen to "Q" to the left. CB forgets his landmark (outside hip) and gets juked badly. Q out runs the pursuit for +25. Kid is talented. 1st and 10 on our 25. Shotgun T. QB drops back, but the pass rush is on him like a chicken on a Junebug. STRIP SACK! We take over on the 35. Their stud, #2 jumps in the pile late and gets nasty in the scrum. It's the start of the "ugly".

1st and 10 for us. We get away with 13 in the huddle as 2 guys run off the field before the snap. This has not escaped the opposing coach's notice. Read option to the power back for +2. 2nd and 8. OC notices #3 covering a speedy, athletic WR, so we dial up a 9 route. Our WR has #3 beat by 2 yards. QB sets his feet and throws a nice, easy ball . . . about 1 foot too long. 3rd and 8. QB blast right (toward our sideline) for +13. Contact is made at 7 yards, but QB trucks 3 players. For the first time in 6 observed games (including scouting), #2's shoulders and head are drooping. 1st and 10 from their 49. Power back and QB trade places. Direct snap power back blast right for 11. He absolutely trucks their LB at the end of the run. We are feeling it, but dubious spot gives us 2nd and 2 from their 41. Direct snap to the power back for +3 right up the gut. 1st and 10 on the 38. QB blast left for +4. 2nd and 6, but the loud mouth box guy (fan for the opponent) forgets to flip the number, so it now reads 1st and 6. Players later tell me that their chain crew has been chirping our players all day. We do it again. QB bounces it wide for +3 and is tackled well out of bounds. Whatever. 2nd and 2, if you can believe that. Direct snap to power back for -1. 3rd and 3. LBs are now crowding the LOS, so power back blast goes for +1. 4th and 2 including our extra down. 46 yard FG attempt is short . . . but . . . they rough our kicker because . . . of course they do. 1st and 10 on the 25. Quick out to the H back (power back) for +5. 2nd and 5 on the 20. Taking note of the LBs all out blitzing, I suggest a rocket screen. Our guy (who dislocated his elbow in game 2) waves us off and insists on a bubble screen that we don't screen block and it's a short gain. 3rd and 4. Throw another quick out to the power back, but our WR runs into him and it's a near INT. 4th and 4 from the 19. 35 yd field goal is good.

3-0 good guys with time running out in the half. Close, but no cigar on the onside recovery. 1st and 10 from the 50 for the bad guys. They throw a quick, 4 yard button hook to their TE that our Reaper plays very aggressively. Too aggressively. Pass interference. Good call, but I NEVER get upset about pass interference. 1st and 10 from our own 35. They throw yet another Hail Mary down the left sideline. Jump ball. Our CB (same CB as before) gets his hands on the ball, but their stud, #2 rips the ball out of his hands. CB falls down and #2 walks into the end zone. PAT fails.

6-3 bad guys. They kick deep to us and we return to our 40.

1st and 10. We only have a 4 man interior line, so technically, our guy is a TE, but looks like a tackle. Anyway, quick out to him for +5. Out of bounds to stop the clock. #2 is now taking every opportunity to let our sideline know how awesome he is. I remind our players not to respond because #2 is about to hurt his team. 2nd and 5. 9 route incomplete to our stud recovering from the dislocated elbow. 3rd and 5. QB scramble and run out of bounds for +15. 1st and 10 on their 45. Poor throw on a 4 route to the flanker . . . right to #2 for the INT. Returns it to the 10, but garbage teams being garbage teams, the get flagged for 1 of many blocks in the back around the 45.

1st and 10 from bad guy's 45. Hail Mary again, but covered lineman runs a route. CB breaks up the pass and there is an "illegal man downfield" penalty. End of 2nd quarter.

Halftime, there is discussion about putting the other CB (most talented kid I think I've ever coached) on #2. I tell Mahonz that my inclination is to leave him where he is. The kid came into this game with 9 INTs. Mahonz supported my decision to keep the status quo. I talked to the young man and reminded him that our rule is that we don't make an INT play on a "well thrown ball" and that we consider a 50/50 ball to be "well thrown". I reminded him that if he knocks it down, it is a zero yard gain and cause for much celebration. He is a very smart and coachable kid and stated that he understood. That is the only halftime adjustment that I made on defense.

We onside to start the 3rd and fail to recover. Bad guys take over around mid field.

2 TE, 2 FL Shotgun Ace dive for 1 yard. 2nd and 9. Pass play, but pass rush overwhelms him. Gang sack/zero gain, whatever. 3rd and 9.  Uh oh. They are in Beast. I pee a little. We do not shift over and their tall, fast and strong back gets the edge with 3 blocking backs sprinting in front of him. Somehow, my Dog gets a finger wrapped up in the kid's under shirt and is dragged 10 yards before the cavalry arrives to "hold" him to 25 yards. 1st and 10 from our 30. I am able to remind them to shift over when they are in Beast. Mahonz suggests they are too close to the LOS vs Beast, so I yell for them to back up 5 yards from the ball. They back up a little. They show Beast Right, so we call a timeout. My instructions: 1) shift over. 2) everyone 5 yards off the ball. 3) forget your gap landmark. Mean, nasty fast to the ball. Beast Left.  High snap and our highly talented CB on autoblitz catches their back from behind for -4. 2nd and 14. Beast Left. #2 gets the edge and takes it to the house. But wait. Holding at the POC. Looking at film, there were multiple holds. All we needed was 1. 2nd and 10 from the 40. Beast right to "Q". Q out runs the defense for 15, but is hurt on the tackle. 3rd and 5 from about the 20. Beast Left. We crush #2 for -6. 4th and 8 due to "iffy" spot. Hail Mary from illegal formation. 5 in the backfield. This time, it's a poorly thrown ball and our CB gets his 10th interception in 9 games. Too bad it was 4th down and we "lose" a ton of yards than if he'd just knock it down. Thanks to our opponent being garbage, not only do they have the illegal formation, but take a dead ball personal foul by throwing our CB down a full 5 yards out of bounds.

1st and 10 good guys from about the 27.  Put in our stud in with the dislocated elbow and he goes to work from Beast Right. 13 yards in 2 carries, 10 of which are yards after contact. 1st and 10 from about the 47. We throw a 4 route to a small, but talented WR and he is clotheslined before the ball arrives. PI for 15. 1st and 10 from their 45. "Elbow boy" from Beast right for an authoritative 5. 2nd and 5. Beast Right. DISASTER! Bad snap. Bad guys get the ball at their own 43.

Beast Right to #1 for a short gain. 2nd and 8. They line up in Beast Right, but something is funny. They are moving guys around and other guys are unsure of where to be. #2 is furious and screaming at his teammates. It couldn't have been easier than if they just yelled, "COUNTER LEFT!!!". We stop it for a 1 yard gain. 3rd and 5. Beast Right to "Q". Did I mention he was selfish? Despite some pretty good blocking, Q decides to take it to the sideline, but we are ready. He bubbles out and we crush him for -2.  His helmet comes off and he is pissed. This will be important later. I've seen that kid's helmet come off probably 5 times this season, 3 against us. 4th and 7. Beast Left. We stop #2 for a gain of 2, but for some reason, he gets up after the whistle and takes it to the house. No matter. Turnover on downs, but we take an unsportsmanlike. Our quiet, respectful and reserved and immensely talented CB is flagged for "talking". He claims that all he said was "watch it", when a kid shoulder bumped him on the way to the sideline. I know this kid as a well as my own. If that's what he says happened, that's what happened. Oh well. Our ball on the 35 instead of the 50.

1st and 10. Beast Right "elbow boy" for 9, but his calf cramps up. He attended his HS camp before the game because he would not be allowed to go on their team building camp otherwise. 2nd and 1. Beast Right to QB for 5. 1st and 10 at midfield. Same play stuffed for -2. 2nd and 12. Beast Right to the talented CB for +2. 3rd and 11. Beast Right. Talented CB counter left for +12 and the first down. 1st and 10 from the 40. End of 3rd quarter.

Still 6-3 bad guys.

From 1st and 10, Beast left to talented CB for +13 down to the 25. 1st and 10 again. Beast Left to talented CB who loses his footing for no gain. 2nd and 10. Beast Left. Talented CB for short gain, but is gang tackled. He tries to leave the game. He says that in the pile, someone grabbed his nuts and twisted. If he says it, that's what happened. We roll him back out for 3rd and long. He throws a deep 9 route. . . to #2, who intercepts it and runs it back to our 45. Damn.

1st and 10 bad guys and they have the lead and ALL the momentum. However, this is where the game starts to get interesting. Our teams tend to stay focused in close games and under adversity. I don't want to say we play "harder" or "better", but mainly we stay the course and keep our emotions in check while other teams flinch a little under the pressure. This drive is where everything changed.   

Beast left for +6. 2nd and 4. QB sneak for short gain. 3rd and 2. Beast Right to #2. We crush him for a loss . . . but our tall dog tackles him around the head for an obvious face mask. Meanwhile, #6 from their team tries to rip the helmet off of #5 from out team away from the play. A tussle ensues. When the dust settles, matching unsportsmanlike and 5 yard face mask against us. They are talking SO much now. We are reminding our players to stay cool. 3rd and short. Maryland I, they try the old "go on 2" and false start. They are screaming at each other. 3rd and 6. Iso Blast Right to Q, but he tries to turn it into a sweep. We absolutely crush him for -10. They take a dead ball, unsportsmanlike and are truly starting to melt down. 4th and 30 from the 37.

The first punt of the game for either team. One of our studs fields it at the 35, jump cuts left to avoid 1 tackle, jump cuts right to avoid another, then turns on the jets. We are clean. No blindsides, blocks in the backs, holds or cheap shots. THEY, however . . . #2 hits one of our players in the back of the endzone as we are celebrating. #8 delivers a cheap shot around the 20, then wants to talk about it. All after the whistle. Flags and hats are flying. We are clean.

We miss the PAT wide right, 9-6 Good guys. Due to the penalties (I guess they only enforce 1?) we onside from their 45. They recover at their own 35.

1st and 10. Hail Mary. The CB who had been out-fought twice knocks the ball down. 2nd and 10. Another pass, but we get him for a sack. -5. 3rd and 15. Shotgun T, power toss left for +9. 4th and about 6. Shotgun T, power toss right for no gain. Turnover on downs.

They have not yet begun to melt down. Pay attention. It gets good.

1st and 10 for us on the 39. Beast Left to the QB for 6. Elbow boy is getting treated for his cramps.  2nd and 4. Beast Right to the QB, but he tries to bounce it and goes for -1. Mahonz is livid and yelling at the OC, his assistant and the QB. It's going to be 3rd and 4 from about the 32, but my attention is on the far sideline. One of the opposing coaches is fairly animated. I see a flag fly on the far sideline and tell Mahonz, "We just got the 1st down. Mahonz is like, "what the hell are you talking about?". Unsportsmanlike conduct on the sideline. 1st and 10 on the 17. Something catches my eye on the far sideline. I see a football fly down the sideline from the 25 to past midfield. One of the opposing coaches just punted a football out of frustration. Another flag flies. Unsportsmanlike conduct on the sideline. 1st and goal from the 2. The field monitor goes across the field in his golf cart to handle the situation. Two coaches are ejected, then one of the chain crew throws his marker onto the field and rips off his yellow vest, throwing it on the field and he is ejected. I'm a little confused because it's a bowl game and these guys are supposed to be supplied by the league. Plus, we are the home team and  . . . whatever. I mention that they just ejected a chain guy and my guys tell me, "Oh yeah, Coach. Those guys have been talking trash to us every time we get near them." Remember the guy who gave us an extra down because he was too busy trash talking our kids to remember to flip the box? Good times.  Meanwhile . . .

"Elbow boy is good to go and wants in the game." Beast Right, untouched from 2 yards out. PAT is blocked and our center is knocked violently on his ass. I'm not worried about the non-call because I know this team is DONE. Throw a little adversity and the turds dry up in the sun.

15-6 Good guys with 2:12 remaining. It should be noted that PAT kicks and forward passes are worth 2. Runs are worth 1. We do something wrong on the onside kick and do it again from the 35.  They take over at their 45.

1st and 10. Hail Mary Left. Twice burned CB knocks it down. 2nd and 10. They put Q in at QB. Under duress, he throws a duck down the middle to no one. 3rd and 10. They do it again. They run all 9's so I have 6 guys rushing, 4 guys VERY deep in coverage and my Reaper at about 10. Q out runs the rush to the right, breaks my Reaper's ankles and scampers down the left sideline. I think he ran a total of about 180 yards and takes it down to about the 5. I'm not sure because I don't think there is a chain crew at this point. Did I mention that this kid is immensely talented?

1st and 10 from, let's just say the 5. Beast Right, #2 runs left. Twice burned CB knocks him out of bounds at the 3. 2nd and goal from the 3. Beast Right to Q, who is corralled at the 10 and slammed HARD to the turf. I mean the kid actually bounces. He gets up wanting a  call for horse collar. In video, #28 from our team had him by the jersey below his numbers.

Quick break to give some background. Q injured #28 by a vile blindside hit in our last meeting. Put #28 out of the game. Going into this game, I was going to put #28 at outside stacker over Q when ever Q lined up at TE and just have #28 time the snap and crush him. #28 told me he'd rather just play football than get payback. I'm thankful that he is more mature than me.

Back to the present. Q is LIVID about the non call and starts to jaw the white hat. Not sure what he's saying at this point. 3rd and goal from the 10. Beast Right. Bad snap to #2, but he picks it up, jukes around and runs right. We knock him out of bounds at the 2. While all this is going on, Q made a bee line for #28 and they lock horns. They end up out of bounds and Q's helmet comes off. This makes something like the 5th or 6th time I've seen him lose his helmet. Well, he wants the call for getting his helmet ripped off. When doesn't get it, he goes on the rampage mentioned earlier and is ejected. More importantly, he puts his team back 15 yards when they could have had a 4th and goal from the 2. 4th and Goal from the 18. Another Hail Mary. They catch it, but are tackled short of the goal line.

We take over on downs, and take a knee.

Final: 15-6 Pitbulls.

After the hand shake, I was meandering past midfield to make sure my players got the hell out of there. Q called us all pussies and offered to fight us in the parking lot. Then, he grabbed a few players to come after us. I used my Drill Instructor voice and told them to get back, which they did. A coach was coming at me, yelling and cussing and I just told him that I'm really frustrated and that neither of us want what's about to happen. My 20 year old son later told me that this coach was angry at his players and yelling at them to get away from us, so I guess all's good. The North Stars refused to take part in the trophy ceremony, which is probably for the best. For reasons only known to the field monitor, he took their trophy to them in his golf cart. I really would have liked to have that 2nd place trophy. We had about 15 former Pitbulls show up in support and some "adult" in the stands decided it would be cool to yell "F*ck the Pitbulls" and "F*ck You, Pitbulls" to them. While I am certainly appalled by that, I have to admit that there's a small part of me that enjoys knowing that I had a role in getting them to that point.

Since it's my turn, I get to to take the 1st place trophy home, which is cool. I missed the banquet to go turkey hunting in Nebraska. Only saw 1 damn bird all weekend. As much as I love our players and coaches, my overwhelming sentiment is that I'm just glad it's over. If our game is shrinking, why does it seem like the good people are all going away, leaving us to deal with the garbage?

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2019, 03:35:46 PM »
Here goes:

We meet at our practice field at 5pm, about a 30 minute drive from the stadium. We do our warm up routine, do a brief walk through, then leave for the stadium at 6 for a 7pm kickoff. Arrive at the stadium around 6:40 for the pageantry. The National Anthem is played and "Q", an extremely talented, but immature, selfish, dirty and foul-mouthed opponent keeps his helmet on and kneels for the Anthem. There are about 30 fans in the stands, so I'm not sure who this was intended for. Each player is introduced and runs toward midfield.

We win the toss and elect to receive, or maybe they win and defer. I don't know, but we are getting the ball. They onside kick, but run past the ball. There is no call. Our player jumps in the air to cover. They catch him in the air and throw him to the ground. Whatever. Our ball at our own 45.

We open up with a quick out to our eligible Center. He is open, but our QB has happy feet and sails it over his head for a near INT. Next play is another quick out to our H back, who is also open, but again, happy feet sails the ball over his head for another near INT. 3rd and 10. QB blast off the left side for 5 yards. 4th and 5. Throw a deep corner to our inside sniffer out of trips bunch right into triple coverage. Happy feet again for another near pick. Turnover on downs.

1st and 10 bad guys. QB scrambles on a broken play, breaks 2 tackles in the backfield and turns disaster into a 2 yard gain. 2nd and 8. They run a dive out of their "shotgun T" to the middle back. He bounces it outside, breaks 2 tackles in the backfield and turns disaster into a 4 yard gain. 3rd and 4. They try the "go on 2" and false start. 3rd and 9. The false start again. 3rd and 14. They go power toss left out of shotgun T to the trail back for a 3 yard gain. 4th and 11. Out of a 2 TE, 2 flanker set, they throw a Hail Mary to their stud. Our CB out jumps him and gets the ball, but their stud rips it out of our CBs hands for a 25 yard reception. 1st and 10 on our 25. Timeout is called. Non-defensive coaches, and other adults are yelling to "wrap up". I go out to the field and tell the D to ignore them. I explain that if we get 5 or more to the ball, you don't need to wrap up. Stop "playing 'lookie lookie' and get some green jerseys to the ball."  Next play is a QB keep out of split backs shotgun (???). 7 defenders smash him for a 7 yard loss. Lazy spot gives them 2nd and 15. from the 30. Split backs dive to "Q" for +11. 3rd and 4.  Split backs shotgun, QB keep left. QB covers 30+ yards to gain maybe 1. 4th and 3.  Bubble screen for -5. 4 defenders on him when the whistle blows. Turnover on downs.

1st and 10 from our own 22. We go QB blast left (from our near hash toward our sideline) 3 straight plays for 9.8 yards. 4th and inches. We break from the formula and run a read option to our power back, but he is smashed for a loss. Turnover on downs.

Not looking good. Offense is anemic and they have threats all over the place. They have the momentum and are deep in our territory.

1st and 10 from our 30 for the bad guys. 2 TE, 2 flankers, Ace backfield from gun, read option. FUMBLE!!! My "Little Engine that Could", never miss a practice rotating at NT recovers and we get a stay of execution.

1st and 10 from our own 30. QB blast to the near sideline for 5. 2nd and 5. Repeat for plus 3. 3rd and 2. Hey, it's working so go back to the well for +4. 1st and 10. Center takes his time snapping so the entire offense false starts. 1st and 15. Scat back subs for the QB and we run blast for +2. 2nd and 13. OC notices that our 98lb DT who also plays WR is being covered by #3, who doesn't quite belong on this team of monsters. We dial up a 9 route down the near sideline. #3 stumbles on his coverage and the nearest ugly is 10 yards away. Happy feet settles down, but doesn't set his feet properly and misses our receiver by 10 feet. Receiver adjusts and tries a basket catch going out of bounds, but it's just not enough. 3rd and 13. QB blast left for 10 yards. 4th and 3. End of 1st quarter.

QB blast left (toward the hostile sideline) on 4th and 3. QB is hit at the LOS, but spins, fights, drives and leaps for a 5 yard gain. He is feeling the mojo now, at least on his feet. Still sketchy throwing the ball. 1st and 10 on the bad guys' 47. DISASTER! Bad snap for -15. 2nd and 22 from our own 35.  >:(  Quick corner route to the H back for +12. 3rd and 10. Another bad snap on a pass play, but QB jukes and jives in the backfield and takes off for a gain of 8, spins, drives and leaps and . . . FUMBLE! Bad guys take over on their own 40.

1st and 10. Split backs shotgun dive for what looks like no gain. Defense is starting to punish the ball now. Iffy spot gives him +3. 2nd and 7. Shotgun I toss right for 2 yards. 3rd and 5. Swing screen to "Q" to the left. CB forgets his landmark (outside hip) and gets juked badly. Q out runs the pursuit for +25. Kid is talented. 1st and 10 on our 25. Shotgun T. QB drops back, but the pass rush is on him like a chicken on a Junebug. STRIP SACK! We take over on the 35. Their stud, #2 jumps in the pile late and gets nasty in the scrum. It's the start of the "ugly".

1st and 10 for us. We get away with 13 in the huddle as 2 guys run off the field before the snap. This has not escaped the opposing coach's notice. Read option to the power back for +2. 2nd and 8. OC notices #3 covering a speedy, athletic WR, so we dial up a 9 route. Our WR has #3 beat by 2 yards. QB sets his feet and throws a nice, easy ball . . . about 1 foot too long. 3rd and 8. QB blast right (toward our sideline) for +13. Contact is made at 7 yards, but QB trucks 3 players. For the first time in 6 observed games (including scouting), #2's shoulders and head are drooping. 1st and 10 from their 49. Power back and QB trade places. Direct snap power back blast right for 11. He absolutely trucks their LB at the end of the run. We are feeling it, but dubious spot gives us 2nd and 2 from their 41. Direct snap to the power back for +3 right up the gut. 1st and 10 on the 38. QB blast left for +4. 2nd and 6, but the loud mouth box guy (fan for the opponent) forgets to flip the number, so it now reads 1st and 6. Players later tell me that their chain crew has been chirping our players all day. We do it again. QB bounces it wide for +3 and is tackled well out of bounds. Whatever. 2nd and 2, if you can believe that. Direct snap to power back for -1. 3rd and 3. LBs are now crowding the LOS, so power back blast goes for +1. 4th and 2 including our extra down. 46 yard FG attempt is short . . . but . . . they rough our kicker because . . . of course they do. 1st and 10 on the 25. Quick out to the H back (power back) for +5. 2nd and 5 on the 20. Taking note of the LBs all out blitzing, I suggest a rocket screen. Our guy (who dislocated his elbow in game 2) waves us off and insists on a bubble screen that we don't screen block and it's a short gain. 3rd and 4. Throw another quick out to the power back, but our WR runs into him and it's a near INT. 4th and 4 from the 19. 35 yd field goal is good.

3-0 good guys with time running out in the half. Close, but no cigar on the onside recovery. 1st and 10 from the 50 for the bad guys. They throw a quick, 4 yard button hook to their TE that our Reaper plays very aggressively. Too aggressively. Pass interference. Good call, but I NEVER get upset about pass interference. 1st and 10 from our own 35. They throw yet another Hail Mary down the left sideline. Jump ball. Our CB (same CB as before) gets his hands on the ball, but their stud, #2 rips the ball out of his hands. CB falls down and #2 walks into the end zone. PAT fails.

6-3 bad guys. They kick deep to us and we return to our 40.

1st and 10. We only have a 4 man interior line, so technically, our guy is a TE, but looks like a tackle. Anyway, quick out to him for +5. Out of bounds to stop the clock. #2 is now taking every opportunity to let our sideline know how awesome he is. I remind our players not to respond because #2 is about to hurt his team. 2nd and 5. 9 route incomplete to our stud recovering from the dislocated elbow. 3rd and 5. QB scramble and run out of bounds for +15. 1st and 10 on their 45. Poor throw on a 4 route to the flanker . . . right to #2 for the INT. Returns it to the 10, but garbage teams being garbage teams, the get flagged for 1 of many blocks in the back around the 45.

1st and 10 from bad guy's 45. Hail Mary again, but covered lineman runs a route. CB breaks up the pass and there is an "illegal man downfield" penalty. End of 2nd quarter.

Halftime, there is discussion about putting the other CB (most talented kid I think I've ever coached) on #2. I tell Mahonz that my inclination is to leave him where he is. The kid came into this game with 9 INTs. Mahonz supported my decision to keep the status quo. I talked to the young man and reminded him that our rule is that we don't make an INT play on a "well thrown ball" and that we consider a 50/50 ball to be "well thrown". I reminded him that if he knocks it down, it is a zero yard gain and cause for much celebration. He is a very smart and coachable kid and stated that he understood. That is the only halftime adjustment that I made on defense.

We onside to start the 3rd and fail to recover. Bad guys take over around mid field.

2 TE, 2 FL Shotgun Ace dive for 1 yard. 2nd and 9. Pass play, but pass rush overwhelms him. Gang sack/zero gain, whatever. 3rd and 9.  Uh oh. They are in Beast. I pee a little. We do not shift over and their tall, fast and strong back gets the edge with 3 blocking backs sprinting in front of him. Somehow, my Dog gets a finger wrapped up in the kid's under shirt and is dragged 10 yards before the cavalry arrives to "hold" him to 25 yards. 1st and 10 from our 30. I am able to remind them to shift over when they are in Beast. Mahonz suggests they are too close to the LOS vs Beast, so I yell for them to back up 5 yards from the ball. They back up a little. They show Beast Right, so we call a timeout. My instructions: 1) shift over. 2) everyone 5 yards off the ball. 3) forget your gap landmark. Mean, nasty fast to the ball. Beast Left.  High snap and our highly talented CB on autoblitz catches their back from behind for -4. 2nd and 14. Beast Left. #2 gets the edge and takes it to the house. But wait. Holding at the POC. Looking at film, there were multiple holds. All we needed was 1. 2nd and 10 from the 40. Beast right to "Q". Q out runs the defense for 15, but is hurt on the tackle. 3rd and 5 from about the 20. Beast Left. We crush #2 for -6. 4th and 8 due to "iffy" spot. Hail Mary from illegal formation. 5 in the backfield. This time, it's a poorly thrown ball and our CB gets his 10th interception in 9 games. Too bad it was 4th down and we "lose" a ton of yards than if he'd just knock it down. Thanks to our opponent being garbage, not only do they have the illegal formation, but take a dead ball personal foul by throwing our CB down a full 5 yards out of bounds.

1st and 10 good guys from about the 27.  Put in our stud in with the dislocated elbow and he goes to work from Beast Right. 13 yards in 2 carries, 10 of which are yards after contact. 1st and 10 from about the 47. We throw a 4 route to a small, but talented WR and he is clotheslined before the ball arrives. PI for 15. 1st and 10 from their 45. "Elbow boy" from Beast right for an authoritative 5. 2nd and 5. Beast Right. DISASTER! Bad snap. Bad guys get the ball at their own 43.

Beast Right to #1 for a short gain. 2nd and 8. They line up in Beast Right, but something is funny. They are moving guys around and other guys are unsure of where to be. #2 is furious and screaming at his teammates. It couldn't have been easier than if they just yelled, "COUNTER LEFT!!!". We stop it for a 1 yard gain. 3rd and 5. Beast Right to "Q". Did I mention he was selfish? Despite some pretty good blocking, Q decides to take it to the sideline, but we are ready. He bubbles out and we crush him for -2.  His helmet comes off and he is pissed. This will be important later. I've seen that kid's helmet come off probably 5 times this season, 3 against us. 4th and 7. Beast Left. We stop #2 for a gain of 2, but for some reason, he gets up after the whistle and takes it to the house. No matter. Turnover on downs, but we take an unsportsmanlike. Our quiet, respectful and reserved and immensely talented CB is flagged for "talking". He claims that all he said was "watch it", when a kid shoulder bumped him on the way to the sideline. I know this kid as a well as my own. If that's what he says happened, that's what happened. Oh well. Our ball on the 35 instead of the 50.

1st and 10. Beast Right "elbow boy" for 9, but his calf cramps up. He attended his HS camp before the game because he would not be allowed to go on their team building camp otherwise. 2nd and 1. Beast Right to QB for 5. 1st and 10 at midfield. Same play stuffed for -2. 2nd and 12. Beast Right to the talented CB for +2. 3rd and 11. Beast Right. Talented CB counter left for +12 and the first down. 1st and 10 from the 40. End of 3rd quarter.

Still 6-3 bad guys.

From 1st and 10, Beast left to talented CB for +13 down to the 25. 1st and 10 again. Beast Left to talented CB who loses his footing for no gain. 2nd and 10. Beast Left. Talented CB for short gain, but is gang tackled. He tries to leave the game. He says that in the pile, someone grabbed his nuts and twisted. If he says it, that's what happened. We roll him back out for 3rd and long. He throws a deep 9 route. . . to #2, who intercepts it and runs it back to our 45. Damn.

1st and 10 bad guys and they have the lead and ALL the momentum. However, this is where the game starts to get interesting. Our teams tend to stay focused in close games and under adversity. I don't want to say we play "harder" or "better", but mainly we stay the course and keep our emotions in check while other teams flinch a little under the pressure. This drive is where everything changed.   

Beast left for +6. 2nd and 4. QB sneak for short gain. 3rd and 2. Beast Right to #2. We crush him for a loss . . . but our tall dog tackles him around the head for an obvious face mask. Meanwhile, #6 from their team tries to rip the helmet off of #5 from out team away from the play. A tussle ensues. When the dust settles, matching unsportsmanlike and 5 yard face mask against us. They are talking SO much now. We are reminding our players to stay cool. 3rd and short. Maryland I, they try the old "go on 2" and false start. They are screaming at each other. 3rd and 6. Iso Blast Right to Q, but he tries to turn it into a sweep. We absolutely crush him for -10. They take a dead ball, unsportsmanlike and are truly starting to melt down. 4th and 30 from the 37.

The first punt of the game for either team. One of our studs fields it at the 35, jump cuts left to avoid 1 tackle, jump cuts right to avoid another, then turns on the jets. We are clean. No blindsides, blocks in the backs, holds or cheap shots. THEY, however . . . #2 hits one of our players in the back of the endzone as we are celebrating. #8 delivers a cheap shot around the 20, then wants to talk about it. All after the whistle. Flags and hats are flying. We are clean.

We miss the PAT wide right, 9-6 Good guys. Due to the penalties (I guess they only enforce 1?) we onside from their 45. They recover at their own 35.

1st and 10. Hail Mary. The CB who had been out-fought twice knocks the ball down. 2nd and 10. Another pass, but we get him for a sack. -5. 3rd and 15. Shotgun T, power toss left for +9. 4th and about 6. Shotgun T, power toss right for no gain. Turnover on downs.

They have not yet begun to melt down. Pay attention. It gets good.

1st and 10 for us on the 39. Beast Left to the QB for 6. Elbow boy is getting treated for his cramps.  2nd and 4. Beast Right to the QB, but he tries to bounce it and goes for -1. Mahonz is livid and yelling at the OC, his assistant and the QB. It's going to be 3rd and 4 from about the 32, but my attention is on the far sideline. One of the opposing coaches is fairly animated. I see a flag fly on the far sideline and tell Mahonz, "We just got the 1st down. Mahonz is like, "what the hell are you talking about?". Unsportsmanlike conduct on the sideline. 1st and 10 on the 17. Something catches my eye on the far sideline. I see a football fly down the sideline from the 25 to past midfield. One of the opposing coaches just punted a football out of frustration. Another flag flies. Unsportsmanlike conduct on the sideline. 1st and goal from the 2. The field monitor goes across the field in his golf cart to handle the situation. Two coaches are ejected, then one of the chain crew throws his marker onto the field and rips off his yellow vest, throwing it on the field and he is ejected. I'm a little confused because it's a bowl game and these guys are supposed to be supplied by the league. Plus, we are the home team and  . . . whatever. I mention that they just ejected a chain guy and my guys tell me, "Oh yeah, Coach. Those guys have been talking trash to us every time we get near them." Remember the guy who gave us an extra down because he was too busy trash talking our kids to remember to flip the box? Good times.  Meanwhile . . .

"Elbow boy is good to go and wants in the game." Beast Right, untouched from 2 yards out. PAT is blocked and our center is knocked violently on his ass. I'm not worried about the non-call because I know this team is DONE. Throw a little adversity and the turds dry up in the sun.

15-6 Good guys with 2:12 remaining. It should be noted that PAT kicks and forward passes are worth 2. Runs are worth 1. We do something wrong on the onside kick and do it again from the 35.  They take over at their 45.

1st and 10. Hail Mary Left. Twice burned CB knocks it down. 2nd and 10. They put Q in at QB. Under duress, he throws a duck down the middle to no one. 3rd and 10. They do it again. They run all 9's so I have 6 guys rushing, 4 guys VERY deep in coverage and my Reaper at about 10. Q out runs the rush to the right, breaks my Reaper's ankles and scampers down the left sideline. I think he ran a total of about 180 yards and takes it down to about the 5. I'm not sure because I don't think there is a chain crew at this point. Did I mention that this kid is immensely talented?

1st and 10 from, let's just say the 5. Beast Right, #2 runs left. Twice burned CB knocks him out of bounds at the 3. 2nd and goal from the 3. Beast Right to Q, who is corralled at the 10 and slammed HARD to the turf. I mean the kid actually bounces. He gets up wanting a  call for horse collar. In video, #28 from our team had him by the jersey below his numbers.

Quick break to give some background. Q injured #28 by a vile blindside hit in our last meeting. Put #28 out of the game. Going into this game, I was going to put #28 at outside stacker over Q when ever Q lined up at TE and just have #28 time the snap and crush him. #28 told me he'd rather just play football than get payback. I'm thankful that he is more mature than me.

Back to the present. Q is LIVID about the non call and starts to jaw the white hat. Not sure what he's saying at this point. 3rd and goal from the 10. Beast Right. Bad snap to #2, but he picks it up, jukes around and runs right. We knock him out of bounds at the 2. While all this is going on, Q made a bee line for #28 and they lock horns. They end up out of bounds and Q's helmet comes off. This makes something like the 5th or 6th time I've seen him lose his helmet. Well, he wants the call for getting his helmet ripped off. When doesn't get it, he goes on the rampage mentioned earlier and is ejected. More importantly, he puts his team back 15 yards when they could have had a 4th and goal from the 2. 4th and Goal from the 18. Another Hail Mary. They catch it, but are tackled short of the goal line.

We take over on downs, and take a knee.

Final: 15-6 Pitbulls.

After the hand shake, I was meandering past midfield to make sure my players got the hell out of there. Q called us all pussies and offered to fight us in the parking lot. Then, he grabbed a few players to come after us. I used my Drill Instructor voice and told them to get back, which they did. A coach was coming at me, yelling and cussing and I just told him that I'm really frustrated and that neither of us want what's about to happen. My 20 year old son later told me that this coach was angry at his players and yelling at them to get away from us, so I guess all's good. The North Stars refused to take part in the trophy ceremony, which is probably for the best. For reasons only known to the field monitor, he took their trophy to them in his golf cart. I really would have liked to have that 2nd place trophy. We had about 15 former Pitbulls show up in support and some "adult" in the stands decided it would be cool to yell "F*ck the Pitbulls" and "F*ck You, Pitbulls" to them. While I am certainly appalled by that, I have to admit that there's a small part of me that enjoys knowing that I had a role in getting them to that point.

Since it's my turn, I get to to take the 1st place trophy home, which is cool. I missed the banquet to go turkey hunting in Nebraska. Only saw 1 damn bird all weekend. As much as I love our players and coaches, my overwhelming sentiment is that I'm just glad it's over. If our game is shrinking, why does it seem like the good people are all going away, leaving us to deal with the garbage?
Now that is what I call a Potter-like recap. Loved every moment of it.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2019, 03:47:01 PM »

I missed the banquet to go turkey hunting in Nebraska.

You missed the best part of the entire season.  :P