Author Topic: Will the Double Wing work at the High School level?  (Read 1728 times)

Offline CoachCalande

• Platinum
  • Its never been "My bad"
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: 46
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: Will the Double Wing work at the High School level?
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2019, 03:04:31 PM »
Steve:

My post was not directed at the Double Wing.  Rather the perception that the Admin doesn't really buy in to the football program at all.

Oh, those folks don’t understand a complete education...
MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2019, 10:41:54 PM »
A local team here ran a version of it. It was a traditional door mat school but it did seem to help as they actually won a couple games but no coach ever stays there very long. It is sad because the school actually does a decent job of supporting the team.
Can you imagine how good Floriduh hs football could be if they actually offered coaches a stipend that was not insulting. The schools here get about 6k total for the staff. We have some schools with a bunch of talent but the coaches never stick around. The 2 Ft Pierce schools could be darn good if they could get a staff to hang around for more than two years.

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2019, 09:56:07 AM »
Can you imagine how good Floriduh hs football could be if they actually offered coaches a stipend that was not insulting. The schools here get about 6k total for the staff. We have some schools with a bunch of talent but the coaches never stick around. The 2 Ft Pierce schools could be darn good if they could get a staff to hang around for more than two years.
It's laughable how little they get paid. Especially when you consider how much money their programs bring in to the school.

Online CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Defense: Other
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2019, 10:17:04 AM »
It's laughable how little they get paid.

And the hours invested.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2019, 01:00:25 PM »
As Coach Calande pointed out, the "not getting them ready for D1" crowd will push back on you.

Mike MacIntyre's son Jay played as a FB for Phil Bravo at Monarch (DTDW). He went on to the University of Colorado as a an All PAC-12 WR. I'm sure there are dozens of other examples.

BTW, Coach Bravo has been doing okay for a few years running the DW and his teams are almost always under-sized. They are absolute BEASTS in the weight room, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A606Z7ZDVlw
Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Offline SingleWingGoombah

• Silver
  • Because, football.
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2019, 04:56:22 PM »
Melvin Gordon came from DTDW in high school. 

Offline CoachCalande

• Platinum
  • Its never been "My bad"
  • Defense: 46
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2019, 06:11:56 AM »
Ladies and gentlemen, the Superman block. Ray 329 reverse
MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

Online CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2019, 02:09:43 PM »
My favorite team was this group....were unbeaten in freshman season, one loss in two years of JV ball and then this team,,,which , playing a tougher schedule, was better than the 2014 squad that produced the number 8 all time best rushing total ( and two backs over 1000) in Ct.

Try as I might, I've never had a 1,000 yard rusher in my offense.  However, we usually go very deep in our backfield spreading out the carries amongst a number of players.  You can have some incredible rushing numbers in this offense, due to its design.  Make no mistake, it is very much a system offense and the offensive numbers you can achieve on the ground are similar to the types of numbers generated through the air by a Spread/AirRaid type of offense.

--Dave

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline G8trs

• Copper
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2019, 03:30:56 PM »
I completely agree Dave. You can throw up some big rushing numbers in the DW. Last week we had our first game of the season. 304 yards rushing. 2 WBs over 100 yards. The rest was split up pretty evenly by our FBs.

I think the biggest difference between DW and AR is the time of possesion. We milked the clock and took our sweet time. Im sure we couldve hit 500 hundo if we were pushing the pace. It drove the opposing coach crazy.  :P

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2019, 04:33:00 PM »
I completely agree Dave. You can throw up some big rushing numbers in the DW. Last week we had our first game of the season. 304 yards rushing. 2 WBs over 100 yards. The rest was split up pretty evenly by our FBs.

I think the biggest difference between DW and AR is the time of possesion. We milked the clock and took our sweet time. Im sure we couldve hit 500 hundo if we were pushing the pace. It drove the opposing coach crazy.  :P

What is your team Number so we can hook up this year.....we have like 5 Friday Night games so Saturdays are free.

I know Markus Miller from my semi pro days.  Good man. He coaches your 5th grade team.

We are AR32.
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Online CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2019, 04:52:18 PM »
I think the biggest difference between DW and AR is the time of possesion.

^ Nailed it.

--Dave

The Mission Statement:

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2019, 05:17:07 PM »
In Illinois you can see

Spread. Veer, Wishbone/Flexbone, Wing-T, & Double Wing.

Ok maybe not the Veer Frank Lenti was forcefully Retired 2 years ago. 
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline G8trs

• Copper
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2019, 05:27:52 PM »
Hey Mike. Our team number is WS61. Unfortunately we do not play any teams from your league this season. I love playing out at Long Lake on Friday night. I wish Westminster would invest in some football fields.

We have 4 Saturday games this season. Come check us out.

Coach Miller is a good dude. He has a tough road ahead of him though. Most of his team is playing up a grade or 2. Hopefully he can coach them up and start to build for future seasons.

Good luck tonight. I planned on scouting a couple games at Long Lake tonight. If I get there earlier enough Ill check out the end of your game.