Author Topic: Spring 2019 KYA FB Season  (Read 891 times)

Offline CoachParker

• Copper
  • Play for Fun and Winning is Funner!
    • Youth Football Coaching Tips, Talk & Plays
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Wide Tackle 6
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Assistant
Spring 2019 KYA FB Season
« on: February 08, 2019, 04:54:43 PM »
Wow, Spring football is here in Keller, Texas just North of Fort Worth, Texas in the DFW metroplex.  Our last combine / try out is tomorrow and the player draft is next Saturday.  Practices start 2/18 on my wife's birthday, what a great gift for her.  :)

We ended the Fall season on a down note. Our star running back / middle linebacker broke his leg on the first play of the Super Bowl and we limped through the game and lost handily.  We never were in it after he was carried off the field. I find losing a star player in youth football is really tough especially when our roster was only 13 by the time the Super Bowl game.  We had a great season at 7 and 2 but I hate losing to the same team twice in a season.  Overall a wonderful season though. 

Since we had such a great Fall season we froze the maximum six players to come back to our Spring team but we found out the stud running back is not cleared to play football until the Fall.  This will hurt us a ton in the draft but hopefully we will find a few diamonds left for us by the time we pick 11-16 in the 6th round. 

I will be calling the Offense this season and I am going to try to run plays from my upcoming playbook the Wildcat Muilt Spread Offense; a Running Spread Offensive Playbook for Youth Football. We have a passing QB that is taking private QB lessons and Wes Welker type receiver that is crazy good coming back.  Our draft strategy is all about running wide and passing.  We want hands players, quick footed linemen and smart overall players.  I am a little worried getting out of my Beast comfort zone but its time to try a few new tricks.  I have a new formation which I call Squad which is similar to a Loensome Polecat which I am excited to try out.  Looked good the other day in shorts practice. 

We did run a few Spread plays from the new playbook last season which you can see here.  https://coachparker.org/2019/02/05/spread-plays-from-wildcat-multi-spread-offense-playbook/

I have also been working on gap split strategies. I've found a few books from the 40's and 50' s that have some interesting rules around max and min gaps.  Pretty cool stuff really.  Mahonz and Gumby said they work so I've been researching it a bit.  My season test out a bit.

I hope everyone had a good Winter break. I am ready for some football.

Cheers,
Parker
Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas
Power Wing Beast Offense
62 Multi 8 Defense

Offline CoachParker

• Copper
Re: Spring 2019 KYA FB Season
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 04:09:31 PM »
First week of practice down.  We had a great draft.  We drafted RBs, FBs and receivers and had a great LM hat pick who is working out as a Center. So we have the talent pool to run the Wildcat Multi Spread Offense that I am writing about in my new playbook.  Just seems like I need more time with the Spread plays than Beast.  Which I knew would happen. 

Hitting looks pretty good. As always I would like to be tougher.  The RB / Rec blocking is suspect.  Not much blocking practice for these guys in the past.  I did have a great surprise at FB.  Slow in the 40 but very quick in the L drill and at take off.  He's a dream to coach.  Wish all were as easy. He is always ready to go, first in line, always volunteering, attentive and know exactly what to do.  He's a baller, and good for him. 

We have our first quick 30 minute scrimmage tomorrow night.  Keeping it simple to find out who can run the football and catch.  We will see.

I hope everyone is having a great Spring.

Cheers,
Parker
Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas
Power Wing Beast Offense
62 Multi 8 Defense

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: Other
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 10:34:39 PM »
Are you still thinking about experimenting with the splits?
Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Offline CoachParker

• Copper
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 04:30:10 PM »
Are you still thinking about experimenting with the splits?

Yes, I watched and read your stuff and found tons of wide split / counting info in some older Split T books and book on wide perimeter plays.  I am thinking we will try it but not this scrimmage as we are working it out with staff coaches. 

I am trying to come up with some rules that work for us..............
  Will Defenders move with your O-linemen? Allowing bigger splits in gaps? Or do they play gaps / or specific spacing?
  OLM take max splits if Defender Head Up / Outside of them
     OLM move in for any Def inside of them
     OLM Inside Toe on outside toe of Defender “Safety Cut off Button” = Anyone inside of you?
                 This helps with cutting off any quick Defender trying to shoot gap
  OLM take minimum splits on play side of Sweep
  OLM take max splits on backside or non-playside, especially Tight Ends
  If play is Lead dive to your gap try to take maximum plus gap split if possible. Will defender move with you? Move them outward.
  Advanced – On play side, Inside of play take min gap split, outside of play take maximum gap splits

~ Parker
Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas
Power Wing Beast Offense
62 Multi 8 Defense

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 02:45:09 PM »
I am trying to come up with some rules that work for us..............
When I decided on GOL (inside Gap, man On, Linebacker), it was just a way to simplify rules vs any front. One guy on one guy, no one in the box goes unblocked. GOL made the most sense from my perspective. So I think any rules will work as long as everyone is accounted for. Not necessarily blocked, but accounted for.

Will Defenders move with your O-linemen? Allowing bigger splits in gaps? Or do they play gaps / or specific spacing?
So far, a man up guy will move with out guy. A gapped defender tends to line up in the center of the gap. Some guys (DP for one) say they will keep their spacing, regardless of what the o-line does.  I haven't seen that yet from an opponent, but I've thrown it at my o-line in practice.

OLM take max splits if Defender Head Up / Outside of them
     OLM move in for any Def inside of them
     OLM Inside Toe on outside toe of Defender “Safety Cut off Button” = Anyone inside of you?
                 This helps with cutting off any quick Defender trying to shoot gap
  OLM take minimum splits on play side of Sweep
  OLM take max splits on backside or non-playside, especially Tight Ends
  If play is Lead dive to your gap try to take maximum plus gap split if possible. Will defender move with you? Move them outward.
  Advanced – On play side, Inside of play take min gap split, outside of play take maximum gap splits

Our basic rule is to keep moving out a foot at a time until you have problems. If you have a problem, move back to where you were before you had problems.

We are 100% "check with me", so we run to bubbles in the defense. With giant splits, there tend to me several to choose from, especially unbalanced. For some reason, teams love to stack 2, 3 and even 4 of their best defenders on the short side to try and chase us down. That tends to leave bubbles in other places. In other words, line up super wide so we can survey the defense and decide where to run.

Sweeps are funny for us. Traditional sweeps (run around the edge) only work vs teams who don't line up very well. If the team lines up more or less soundly, there's a different philosophy.  A traditional sweep means sealing the perimeter defenders to the inside and running outside of them. In "normal" splits, that's about 5-7 yards from the ball. In a 3, 4, 5, 6 foot progressive split, that could be 10-12 yards from the ball and it really makes little sense to run that far horizontally. 5-7 yards from the ball is right at our power tackle or TE. 

Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Offline CoachParker

• Copper
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 04:51:01 PM »
In the past, when we ran our Beast Fat-Cake/Pie formations with two backs and two lead power sniffers, we used mega splits by going Sloppy OTs and Nasty TEs. I would call the Mega Split to create a huge gap for the sniffers or they would find a bubble and push out the OLM.  So I know these huge gaps work.  Just doing it for everyone is new, but all the Split T guys and you say it works with everyone with wide splits.  I am going to test a little today for 5 plays or so in our Cake formation.  I am still leaving my guards at 1 foot. 

0  0 X 0   0    0     0     

0   0
         0 0

Thanks,
Parker

When I decided on GOL (inside Gap, man On, Linebacker), it was just a way to simplify rules vs any front. One guy on one guy, no one in the box goes unblocked. GOL made the most sense from my perspective. So I think any rules will work as long as everyone is accounted for. Not necessarily blocked, but accounted for.
So far, a man up guy will move with out guy. A gapped defender tends to line up in the center of the gap. Some guys (DP for one) say they will keep their spacing, regardless of what the o-line does.  I haven't seen that yet from an opponent, but I've thrown it at my o-line in practice.

Our basic rule is to keep moving out a foot at a time until you have problems. If you have a problem, move back to where you were before you had problems.

We are 100% "check with me", so we run to bubbles in the defense. With giant splits, there tend to me several to choose from, especially unbalanced. For some reason, teams love to stack 2, 3 and even 4 of their best defenders on the short side to try and chase us down. That tends to leave bubbles in other places. In other words, line up super wide so we can survey the defense and decide where to run.

Sweeps are funny for us. Traditional sweeps (run around the edge) only work vs teams who don't line up very well. If the team lines up more or less soundly, there's a different philosophy.  A traditional sweep means sealing the perimeter defenders to the inside and running outside of them. In "normal" splits, that's about 5-7 yards from the ball. In a 3, 4, 5, 6 foot progressive split, that could be 10-12 yards from the ball and it really makes little sense to run that far horizontally. 5-7 yards from the ball is right at our power tackle or TE.
Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas
Power Wing Beast Offense
62 Multi 8 Defense

Offline CoachParker

• Copper
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 02:20:44 PM »

TD using Mega Splits to us See attached video

In the past, when we ran our Beast Fat-Cake/Pie formations with two backs and two lead power sniffers, we used mega splits by going Sloppy OTs and Nasty TEs. I would call the Mega Split to create a huge gap for the sniffers or they would find a bubble and push out the OLM.  So I know these huge gaps work.  Just doing it for everyone is new, but all the Split T guys and you say it works with everyone with wide splits.  I am going to test a little today for 5 plays or so in our Cake formation.  I am still leaving my guards at 1 foot. 

0  0 X 0   0    0     0     

0   0
         0 0

Thanks,
Parker
Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas
Power Wing Beast Offense
62 Multi 8 Defense

Offline CoachParker

• Copper
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 06:08:35 AM »
Our KYA Jr Rams 10U Spring 2019 tackle football season ended on Monday when we lost in the last round of the playoffs to the undefeated team. The undefeated Cougars were the top graded team coming out of the Spring draft and they proved it all season.  They had size, speed and depth.  The Coach of the Cougars dropped back down into our Jr division from the Sr division and picked up two key running backs that had played for him before and since he only froze three he got the first 3 picks based on his draft seeding and everyone's freezes.  Basically pick of the litter and he did not screw it up.  Then he got lucky in the blind draw for kids that signed up late.  Good for him, the Cougars are having a great season.  Our claim to fame is that we are the only team that scored on them this Spring.  At least we have that?  :)

We had a great season too at 5-3.  It could have been interesting if our best player from the Fall did not drop out before the draft due to injury which really hurt us in the Spring.  He was our big and fast tailback.  We also drafted differently this season, since I wanted to test out my Spread plays so we drafted light and fast.  I also tried not to run the Beast package too much except for short yardage.  All in all we met our goal of being the best passing team in the league and you could argue we are the top 2 or 3 team in our division at the end of the season.  We set ourselves up nicely for the Fall since our main back will be playing with us in the Fall and we picked up two new players from this Spring team which are awesome adds. 

I look forward to the Fall.  I will be posting some Spread plays we ran this Spring soon.  We ran this Spread ND Box Single Wing spread scheme which I named Squad.  It was very successful for us and I will be expanding on this over the next several seasons.  I talked Coach Whit into letting Coach the Offense again in the Fall so I have the full backfield back.  This should be interesting if we get all of our freeze commits for the Fall 2019 tackle season.  We will be moving up to 12U and we passed all this season, so hopefully this experience pays off for our future.

I hope everyone is having a great Spring / Summer.

Cheers
Parker

Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas
Power Wing Beast Offense
62 Multi 8 Defense

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 01:20:50 PM »
Sounds like success to me. Any takeaways/lessons learned from this Spring?

Offline CoachParker

• Copper
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 09:00:13 AM »
Sounds like success to me. Any takeaways/lessons learned from this Spring?

Thanks for asking, I am still trying to come down a bit but here are a few.

1)  Mixing the running game and passing game together is much harder than just running power all day.
2)  I focused on passing too much once I installed the Spread.  Big mistake.  I need to run more.  But I had two very good passing QBs with receivers
3)  Although my young QBs were great throwers, they were not yet ready to read defensive coverages.  Too many throws into triple coverage. 
4)  Play action works the best and or short route combos. Screens!
5)  The amount of time to install with good timing is a lot longer than Beast Tank & Wedge.  :)
6)  I need a good Oline coach since I cannot coach the oline when I am coaching the running backs.  This area needed more focus. Especially pulling / Count system Zone
7)  I could not get my misdirection plays to work consistently this season, weird.
8)  I needed a TB that was bigger and stronger this season.  We should get him back in the Fall.
9)  Smaller players at WB and TE need to shoulder / body block or cut bigger players on the edges. We had trouble with large rushing DEs in the Spread
10) I need to install some option plays next season to put the DEs in conflict

~ Parker
Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas
Power Wing Beast Offense
62 Multi 8 Defense

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 11:47:02 AM »
Thanks for asking, I am still trying to come down a bit but here are a few.

1)  Mixing the running game and passing game together is much harder than just running power all day.
For us, I'd say it's a different kind of difficult. On those days where Beast seems to stall in the red zone, passing often gives that big play that puts the ball in the end zone. A 16 play drive with no penalties, TFLs or turnovers is also difficult.

2)  I focused on passing too much once I installed the Spread.  Big mistake.  I need to run more.  But I had two very good passing QBs with receivers
For sure. Defenses immediately think "pass" when you come out in spread. They tend to move their best tacklers out of the box in response.

3)  Although my young QBs were great throwers, they were not yet ready to read defensive coverages.  Too many throws into triple coverage.
Our solution to that is 100% "check with me". We call the receiver and route from the sideline. The only option the QB has is throw or run. Ball is out of his hands in 2 seconds every time.

4)  Play action works the best and or short route combos. Screens!
PA worked well for us on our rollout/drags. In the pocket, it seems like the pass protection broke down faster than we'd like (see 2 second rule above). We have some really well designed screens, but have been struggling with those. Mainly because they are getting swatted down by very tall DLs. We hit one for about 10 yards vs a VERY good team. We haven't run too many bubbles in games, if any, but we continue to work on them. Our best route continues to be a 7. Used to be a post/corner, but with a 4 man blocking surface, it has turned into a shallow corner. Last week against the best defense we've faced all year, we hit a big 9 and a big 8. We scored on a 3 as well.

5)  The amount of time to install with good timing is a lot longer than Beast Tank & Wedge.  :)
In "pre-practice", we do nothing but "easy ups". They are supposed to jog down the sideline and catch a soft fade with 1 hand, but it always devolves into all out sprinting "go" routes. To break in 2 new QBs, we had them throw slants instead. I feel that if you can throw a slant, you can throw anything. We also do a TON of team work (80% of all practices) to work on our timing.

6)  I need a good Oline coach since I cannot coach the oline when I am coaching the running backs.  This area needed more focus. Especially pulling / Count system Zone
If I were in your shoes, I'd take the o-line and get a backs coach. Coaching backs is MUCH more forgiving.

7)  I could not get my misdirection plays to work consistently this season, weird.
[/quote}
IMHO, misdirection all but disappears in shotgun spread.

9)  Smaller players at WB and TE need to shoulder / body block or cut bigger players on the edges. We had trouble with large rushing DEs in the Spread
2 second rule.  Or . . . our approach, which is to let the DE into the backfield. As long as we have a pair of hands on him, we don't care if he's at QB depth.

10) I need to install some option plays next season to put the DEs in conflict

Mahonz and the other offensive coaches started installing option a few weeks ago. I rolled my eyes because we always install it and never run it. So I had a bet with the other defensive coach/HC. He said we'd run 3 option plays in the next game. I took the under as I didn't think we'd even run that many. Mahonz ran about 20 option plays just to spite me . . . and they actually worked. Game plan this week is to throw at least 40 times and at least 10 option plays to get ready for the ship.