Author Topic: Official AAF Thread  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Coordinator
Official AAF Thread
« on: February 12, 2019, 08:21:16 AM »
So is anyone watching? I watched a little bit in between fights last weekend and I will say so far, the refs are really allowing the players to play. Granted it is easier when none of your players make over a million a season but it was a nice change from what the NFL has become in recent years.

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Assistant
Re: Official AAF Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 09:20:33 AM »
I recorded all the games and watched them later. I was surprised how watchable it was. I think as offenses get better, it will be more entertaining.

Big fan of the 2 point conversion only rule.
Big fan of no kickoffs. Combined with the short clock, the game seems to flow much faster after scores.
Interested to see the first "onside kick".

Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 10:28:13 AM »
Had one of their players get "Popped"  in a House of Ill  Repute this past weekend.   LOL
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 11:27:14 AM »
I recorded all the games and watched them later. I was surprised how watchable it was. I think as offenses get better, it will be more entertaining.

Big fan of no kickoffs. Combined with the short clock, the game seems to flow much faster after scores.
I definitely like the 2 point only rules. It makes the game much more exciting. Extra points, even at 33 yards, is boring. I like how they let the QBs actually take a hit and allowed for the players to play physical. Granted, salaries make it easier to have a more physical game when you aren't paying QBs 25 mil a year. I think as long as it doesn't directly compete with the NFL, it can thrive as the period between the Super Bowl and the Draft is the worst time of year for football fans. There is definitely a void there to be filled with quality football.

Online mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 11:30:43 AM »
I watched the game on and off on Saturday night. Thought it was pretty good.
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline Spyder89

• Benefactors
  • Copper
  • Defense: 46
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 11:35:30 AM »
I think it's a great talent development idea, with a decent supporting from the NFL.

You could easily see the talent disparity from the NFL, but I do believe it could help some overlooked prospects get another look by some teams.

That, and only having like 30 days playing together doesn't help any kind of chemistry at all.
- Ray

Offline blockandtackle

• Bronze
  • Coaching: High School
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 01:04:15 PM »
I'm not a fan of the defensive limitations, but as bad as the pass protection and run blocking is I get it.  Only 3 QBs looked competent out of 8 teams in week 1 and the leading rusher only had 72 yards.

I think that the defensive rules will wind up holding the offenses back, though, since defenses are forced by the rules into playing soft bend-but-don't break coverage and focusing on limiting big plays.  The officiating and the physical level of play were both bonuses.

All in all it's well produced, but I'd like to see it allowed to evolve more into its own thing, rather than be the NFL D-League.  If they want this to stick around for more than a year or two, they're going to have to let it evolve.  I could see a league of Air Raid and spread teams with pro running QBs (which become feasible due to the 10 game season and lower salaries) having some real fan appeal.  Right now it reminds me of grown men playing HS-tier football.

Still better than watching basketball, though.

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 01:12:45 PM »
I'm not a fan of the defensive limitations, but as bad as the pass protection and run blocking is I get it.  Only 3 QBs looked competent out of 8 teams in week 1 and the leading rusher only had 72 yards.

I think that the defensive rules will wind up holding the offenses back, though, since defenses are forced by the rules into playing soft bend-but-don't break coverage and focusing on limiting big plays.  The officiating and the physical level of play were both bonuses.

All in all it's well produced, but I'd like to see it allowed to evolve more into its own thing, rather than be the NFL D-League.  If they want this to stick around for more than a year or two, they're going to have to let it evolve.  I could see a league of Air Raid and spread teams with pro running QBs (which become feasible due to the 10 game season and lower salaries) having some real fan appeal.  Right now it reminds me of grown men playing HS-tier football.

Still better than watching basketball, though.
What are the rules limiting defense? I missed that part.

Offline Spyder89

• Benefactors
  • Copper
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 01:14:59 PM »
What are the rules limiting defense? I missed that part.

I know one rule is that you can have no more than five players "blitzing"
- Ray

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 01:21:05 PM »
I know one rule is that you can have no more than five players "blitzing"
Could you imagine if they allowed more than 5 to blitz? Poor Chris Simms would have went home in a body bag after game 1, lol.

Offline Spyder89

• Benefactors
  • Copper
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 01:50:26 PM »
Could you imagine if they allowed more than 5 to blitz? Poor Chris Simms would have went home in a body bag after game 1, lol.

I think it was Matt Simms...but funny that you mention Chris, because if more than 5 could blitz then Matt would've ended up like Chris and had a busted spleen hahahaha
- Ray

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 01:53:45 PM »
I think it was Matt Simms...but funny that you mention Chris, because if more than 5 could blitz then Matt would've ended up like Chris and had a busted spleen hahahaha
Ah my bad. But yeah, that poor dude took a beating. I think they are using the blitz rule to protect the QB without resorting to the penalties the NFL calls just for touching the QB.

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 02:11:24 PM »
The officiating and the physical level of play were both bonuses.

Yeah. That reminds me. I really liked the replay. No ref running to a kiosk to watch a Surface Pro under a curtain. Replay official makes the call and is mic'd up so you can hear his thought process. If you're going to delay the game, at least let us be part of it.
Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 02:30:48 PM »
Yeah. That reminds me. I really liked the replay. No ref running to a kiosk to watch a Surface Pro under a curtain. Replay official makes the call and is mic'd up so you can hear his thought process. If you're going to delay the game, at least let us be part of it.
I like the idea of having a 9th ref in the sky box. It just makes so much sense.

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: DC Wing T
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 04:05:58 PM »

all this
Robert

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge