Author Topic: Official AAF Thread  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Coordinator
Re: Official AAF Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2019, 10:24:46 AM »
Hahaha...did you listen to him?  He doesn't bother me in a studio setting when doing that gig...but definitely not made for the booth.  Looooooooooong pauses after starting to say something and would interrupt the other guy's talk to just say something obvious followed by another pause and a "yeah..."
Haha. Sounds like he is back in full California mode. I didn't listen to him but he is one of my favorite Jags of all time so I can't bring myself to bash him, even if he was bad, lol.

Online CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2019, 11:18:06 AM »
definitely not made for the booth.  Looooooooooong pauses after starting to say something and would interrupt the other guy's talk to just say something obvious followed by another pause and a "yeah..."

I noticed that, as well.  Not sure I'd ever heard him in a booth (or anywhere else), but he was awful.  I guess they figured they needed 3 in a booth because both Lewis and MJD only counted as one half of an announcer.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2019, 01:25:57 PM »
I noticed that, as well.  Not sure I'd ever heard him in a booth (or anywhere else), but he was awful.  I guess they figured they needed 3 in a booth because both Lewis and MJD only counted as one half of an announcer.

--Dave
It could be nerves. He has a really popular radio show, so it isn't like he isn't used to talking for a living.

Online CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2019, 01:42:27 PM »
It could be nerves. He has a really popular radio show, so it isn't like he isn't used to talking for a living.

When you consider how fast the AAF game moves, 3 in a booth isn't even necessary.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2019, 02:01:44 PM »
When you consider how fast the AAF game moves, 3 in a booth isn't even necessary.

--Dave
I don't disagree with you there. I almost always prefer a 2 man booth over 3.

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Stack
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2019, 09:04:12 PM »
Big fan of the 2 point conversion only rule.
Big fan of no kickoffs. Combined with the short clock, the game seems to flow much faster after scores.
It'd flow even faster w a no conversion rule.

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2019, 09:09:34 PM »
I get that they've only had about a month of practice
If they're fully professional, a month is a lot.

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2019, 09:17:23 PM »
I half expected them to have a rule about not covering up the C.
LOL
Why LOL at that?  Snicker, maybe.  I could seriously see them having that, given the rest of the rules.  Not just the defense fronts, but the absence of kickoffs (and presumably all other free kicks as well).

It bothers me enough the MCYFL has rules I estimate dumb down the game by about 1.5 yrs. extra compared to other youth circuits, but adult professionals?!  I call that a controlled scrimmage.  Practicing full time, nobody being new to football, what's their excuse?

Offline Coach E

• Silver
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2019, 07:44:06 AM »
Never got see any games... :(

From the Wikipedia entry on the AAF:
The AAF began play on February 9, 2019, six days after the National Football League's (NFL) Super Bowl LIII championship game. On April 2, 2019, the league's football operations were suspended by controlling owner Thomas Dundon, who purchased his stake in the league shortly after it began play. Two days later, the AAF allowed players to leave their contracts to sign with NFL teams. On April 17, 2019, the league filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

Also: https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/30/alliance-american-football-aaf-collapse-charlie-ebersol-tom-dundon

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
- Marcus Aurelius

Offline blockandtackle

• Bronze
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2019, 08:04:22 AM »
Never got see any games... :(

From the Wikipedia entry on the AAF:
Also: https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/30/alliance-american-football-aaf-collapse-charlie-ebersol-tom-dundon

You honestly didn't miss that much.

It reminded me a lot of the second half of early pre-season NFL games when the play is sloppy and hardly anyone who'll actually make the roster is on the field.

It was cool to see Steve Spurrier come back (and the quote he gave about how his team should be declared champions when the league folded was priceless, along with the shade he tossed at Rick Neuheisel), but this league never had a chance with the way it was set up.

It was just dull, one dimensional, cookie-cutter NFL-style football but without all the freak athletes that (can) make the NFL fun to watch.