Author Topic: Equipment Inventory Records  (Read 222 times)

Offline Coach KM

• Copper
  • Coaching: 9 & Under
  • Defense: GAM
  • Offense: Wishbone
  • Title: Head Coach
Equipment Inventory Records
« on: February 12, 2019, 08:51:18 PM »
In addition to being a HC of one of our organizations 6 teams, I have also taken on the task of equipment manager this year.
It has been very frustrating over the past few years on equipment pick up day and at the end of the season for equipment return because our crew just didn't have any organizational skills to keep it simple.

I want to implement an inventory system that tracks who has what equipment, how old said equipment is so we can get it reconditioned if needed, or replaced in a timely manner.

Do any of your organizations use such a system? if so how is it working for you?

Interested in all ideas!

Offline CoachCalande

• Platinum
  • Its never been "My bad"
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: 46
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: Equipment Inventory Records
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 07:48:17 AM »
In addition to being a HC of one of our organizations 6 teams, I have also taken on the task of equipment manager this year.
It has been very frustrating over the past few years on equipment pick up day and at the end of the season for equipment return because our crew just didn't have any organizational skills to keep it simple.

I want to implement an inventory system that tracks who has what equipment, how old said equipment is so we can get it reconditioned if needed, or replaced in a timely manner.

Do any of your organizations use such a system? if so how is it working for you?

Interested in all ideas!

Send all of it out for reconditioning and after the work is done and repairs are made, old stuff is rejected, you’ll have your inventory when it’s returned. After that you follow league/ state rules getting reconditioning done as rules state. For us, helmets and worn shoulder pads are done every year. We throw away all helmets after ten years.

We collect 100 percent of issued gear immediately after our final game and the reconditioners pick it up, count it and clean it.

I have records of who misses final game and still has gear...I chase after it.
MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

Offline blockandtackle

• Bronze
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Assistant
Re: Equipment Inventory Records
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 07:54:04 AM »

Interested in all ideas!

Does your org own all your stuff and keep up with it in the offseason, or do the teams and players own their individual gear?

If the org owns it all, is responsible for it, and stores it, then it's pretty easy to do this.  If not... good luck.

At the HS level, we assign a number on each helmet, jersey, pair of pants, pad, and shoes and keep it all in our equipment room in the offseason.  We assign them to players on log with the players' name (and locker number) on the left hand side and columns for each item, then sign them back in when they come back in.  Nobody picks up anything unless it's noted on the sheet by a coach or equipment manager (we shared this as a staff so one guy wasn't stuck in the room forever) and nobody is off the hook at year's end unless it's signed back in.

You could do this as an org with a list for each team and who from each team picked up the gear, then give them sheets to use for their own players to track it.  If you don't trust your coaches to be that responsible, schedule times for teams to meet and get their gear passed out directly by you and their coaches so you can insure it gets done right.

To track how old items are, make a master inventory list for your whole org and keep it in one spot, if possible.  Sort it by age--stuff 3 years old goes here, stuff 2 years old goes there, etc.  After the season, pull the stuff of a certain age to either "recondition" or "replace" stuff however you need to do it. Check each piece of gear after the season's over and it gets turned back in to see if any of the newer stuff needs to be put in the "recondition" or "replace" stacks.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 07:59:11 AM by blockandtackle »