Author Topic: Amoeba 33  (Read 2235 times)

Online CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
Re: Amoeba 33
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2019, 12:14:53 AM »
Can you expand on this?

They're coming from the same line of pursuit on every play.  If the ball is being run towards them, they're in position to stop the play.  If the ball is being run away from them, then they trail their proper line of pursuit so that if the boot/counter/reverse is being run, they are in position to stop the play.  They are not to "break off" their line of pursuit just because the play is being run to the opposite side of the field.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline spidermac

• Gold
  • Coaching: 7 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Pistol
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2019, 12:18:14 PM »
Attack your area and pursue and kill the football...
None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

Online CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2019, 12:49:26 PM »
Attack your area and pursue and kill the football.

Yes, exactly.
If the play is being run to you, then you will kill it quicker.  If it's being run away from you, it will take longer for you to kill it, but you still need to pursue your area and then kill it, even if you're the 11th man there.

--Dave

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Online CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2019, 12:50:17 PM »
The key questions are how disciplined do you want to make it, and what are their areas?

--Dave

The Mission Statement:

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2019, 12:55:40 PM »
Attack your area and pursue and kill the football...

I think that's what I got without intentionally coaching it.
Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2019, 01:12:33 PM »
The key questions are how disciplined do you want to make it, and what are their areas?

--Dave

This morning, I responded to a PM from Vince.  I think I've come to the realization that my fatal flaw coaching defense all these years was too much discipline, too much micro-managing and too much thinking. Going back several years, coaching with Mahonz and his late son, Keenan, a common refrain was "We don't want robots. We want football players."  Yet, we had a tendency to strictly control every aspect of a kid's position.

The result was a bunch of parts in a machine, which is exactly what we thought we wanted. Kids became silo'd, completely focused on their role in the machine. Then, we as coaches acted surprised when we got a bunch of robots. DT's locking horns with OT's while the ball carrier ran within 2 feet of them, etc. etc. etc. Our "parts" had no "big picture" perspective.

The other thing I noted to Vince was how BCR wasn't really a factor for us. I'm just going from memory right now, so I'll have to go back and watch film . . . all of it. I don't recall any team getting over on us with BCR and if they had any success, it was short lived. I also think that the vast majority of BCR plays were crushed by the backside pressure group, rather than the usual suspects, backside CB and Dog. The thing about turning them loose is that they learn very quickly. I'm convinced that every single team in the country has this potential. Anyone who struggles with the "scout defense heroes" knows what I'm talking about. You're trying to polish a slick play, but little Joey on Scout D has seen it before and isn't falling for it. Why not take advantage of that instead of fighting it?

I don't think I'll ever do another bird dog drill again.  Then again, 8-9 year olds have a way of humbling us. This could go horribly wrong.  :D
Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Offline spidermac

• Gold
  • Coaching: 7 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Pistol
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2019, 03:35:21 PM »
Okay, so last season we had a MIKE...first time MIKE and we were going to run the KB for the first time...well, not 100% accurate, we ran it for one game the previous season, where the play of one of the corners clearly illustrated to me that I was missing one player to run it that season...but I digress...so, new  MIKE in a new scheme...kid was smart...kid saw things pre-snap...at first, he was aligning to close to the LOS, and we kept having to back him up because he kept getting caught in the wash...this was when we were still scrimmaging...so we backed him up, and he started guessing where the ball was going...also during scrimmage season...we taught him to key the Center...as he was going to tell him where the ball was going 9 times out of 10...by the end of scrimmage season he had it...and that was when he started seeing things...second game of the season...he comes to the sideline...Coach, when they align like this, they are going to do this...can I do this...we said okay...but if you are wrong...you are going back to doing it our way...and he was right...and he was filling quickly and killing the play in the backfield...the bad guys had no clue how to deal with him...he came to the sideline at halftime, and we spoke in more detail about what he was seeing...he explained it, and we said, okay, whenever you see that pre-snap, you kill it in the backfield...confidence grew...and he had a heck of a game...

As his confidence grew, our confidence in what he was telling us grew...and we started letting him do his own thing out there...until he started calling his own blitzes...and he was wrong...so we let him do his own thing in base...but we would call his blitzes from the sideline...the kid had an amazing season for us at MIKE...he wasn't especially big, or fast...but he saw things well....once we got him back far enough to see...after that, we let him play football...except for calling his own blitzes :P

We lost him for the first playoff game for a concussion he got at LAX practice...and he was sooo disappointed...we were playing the team we played in week 2...his coming out party...we won the game...but his replacement was not quite the same...and we did miss him...
None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2019, 11:18:29 AM »
First game is later today. The Amoeba is currently a 29. That's 2 down linemen, 2 ILBs, 2 OLBs, 2 Dogs, 2 Corners and a Reaper. We have to put our big boys in on the D-line, so that's really the only reason we have a D-line at all.

We're playing the undefeated defending champs in week 1, on a Friday where they stole a practice from us to take @#$%#-ing pictures. So, I wanted to document this defense that I'm both surprised at and proud of in case we give up 80 and scrap the whole thing. I've seen it work and I've heard the thousand reasons why it won't. It hasn't seen a real wedge yet, so sure. Maybe wedge will kill it. Mahonz thinks so. I beg to differ.

I don't know that I'd call it an "Amoeba" anymore because that concept was to hide our intentions to shoot gaps. The only players shooting gaps are the DTs. Everyone else is just finding the ball. We also have a "goal line" package where I sub my ILBs and OLBs for big boys and go into a 1-5-9 60 front. It was very effective in the 3 plays where we ran it, but that was against a dog butt team.  Both fronts were effective against this team with 3 very fast RBs with great vision and "moves", which pretty much sums up the top half of our league. 2 or 3 kids that no one can seem to tackle. Our goal is to use geometry and aggression to neutralize any individual and it looks like it's starting to come together.

Bring the slings and arrows!

Online CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2019, 11:23:04 AM »
DANG PICTURE IS TOO BIG!

--Dave

The Mission Statement:

Online CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2019, 11:27:47 AM »
Bring the slings and arrows!

While I could poke holes in your big-split offense all day long, this thing looks like it has some teeth and I'm really interested to see what/why/how you get it to work.  I definitely think you're heading in the right direction and you may have developed the true facemelter.  (Not kidding.)  Shrink down your picture or send me an attachment so I can check out this thing.

--Dave (who feels like Lar just pulled up in my driveway driving a DB11.  Open the hood!  OPEN THE HOOD!)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 11:59:08 AM by CoachDP »

The Mission Statement:

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: One Back
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2019, 11:30:47 AM »
Do your front 6 "move" ?

Ill try n find the rob ryan clinic i saw when he was in dc. Static is dangerous with these "ghost" fronts he said.

Your lbs are super deep too, how does this fair against a generic off tackle or belly?
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: DC Wing T
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2019, 11:42:39 AM »
I would wedge just because I always do but I don't look at that alignment and think "Oh yeah, wedge allll day"
And I wedge everything but I am not licking my chops

I would really try with my DC wing T to Attack off tackle left side of offense with a 23 Power call.

It looks like you are using what was given to you for players.

Good luck you two. I hate pictures as well.

Robert

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

Online CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2019, 12:02:26 PM »
I would wedge just because I always do but I don't look at that alignment and think "Oh yeah, wedge allll day"

I don't think so, Robert.  First of all, Wedge can be stopped if you know how.  Lar and Mike do.  Secondly, there's double A-gap coverage (which I never do, on my d-line), but double A-gap coverage can give a Wedge fits.

--Dave

The Mission Statement:

Online CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2019, 12:05:05 PM »
I would really try with my DC wing T to Attack off tackle left side of offense with a 23 Power call.

Ah!  Now you're talking!  I really want to see how B and C-gap coverage is dealt with.  This Amoeba could really confuse some blocking rules.  My question is how many teams do they face with real rules?  And "block somebody" isn't a rule.

--Dave

The Mission Statement:

Online CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2019, 12:07:34 PM »
And if there's only 2 down linemen, does that make everyone else a 2nd-level defender?  If it does, then I like this matchup, defensively.  I haven't seen a youth team yet whose offensive line could consistently matchup with my 2nd level personnel.  (Which is why I hate zone blocking for youth ball.)

--Dave

The Mission Statement: