Author Topic: Going back to SW  (Read 206 times)

Offline Vince148

• Silver
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
Going back to SW
« on: June 21, 2019, 08:03:31 AM »
I'm still waiting for all the paperwork to come back to make my hiring official, so I still haven't met my team or started off- season conditioning. Hopefully, some time next week. This last week, along with trying to get my defensive scheme figured out, I've been looking at offense as well. I had been contemplating running under center a half wishbone, but as I looked at the stats and what I have to work with, I no longer think that would be the best option. I have a kid coming back, a junior, who ran pretty well last season. However, I have no QB. Last year's QB graduated, and from what I could tell, passing was not a high priority for this team anyway. They only threw 16 passes the entire season with 3 completions, 2 of which were to the other team. Enter the SW. So, I've been poring over my SW stuff and reaching out to other 8-man coaches.

Right now, base plays are the usual power, sweep, counter, blast, and dive. I'll also put in a spin series and beast to start the season.

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Assistant
Re: Going back to SW
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 09:34:35 AM »
Can't go wrong there.
Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 12:54:58 PM »
Most of the folks I see running * Man teams are indeed Single Wing.  If you throw <10 times a game, I go back to the belief a 5 yard pass with 20 yards of RAC is Perfect!  :)  Good Luck
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline vikingdw

• Copper
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Other
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 09:23:14 PM »
Congrats Coach. Check out Eric Burt's 8 man SW stuff if you haven't already. Have a great season!