Author Topic: 3/20/2019 Virginia Tech Youth Football Helmet Ratings  (Read 299 times)

Offline C-Rob

• Silver
  • A.K.A. tso1696
    • Online Youth Football Coaching Clinics
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Other
3/20/2019 Virginia Tech Youth Football Helmet Ratings
« on: March 22, 2019, 05:32:51 AM »
On-line Youth Football Coaching Clinics
http://www.coaches-clinic.com/

Offline COACH JC

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: 3/20/2019 Virginia Tech Youth Football Helmet Ratings
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 10:47:03 AM »
Zenith really killed it considering the cost difference.
It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 01:42:43 PM »
If I ran an org and I had to keep down costs, this is the helmet I would go with. To me this is the best in terms of value and quality.
Schutt Youth Vengeance A3 football helmet
Cost: $109.95
Weight: 4.0 lb
Score: 4.37

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 04:31:47 PM »
If I ran an org and I had to keep down costs, this is the helmet I would go with. To me this is the best in terms of value and quality.
Schutt Youth Vengeance A3 football helmet
Cost: $109.95
Weight: 4.0 lb
Score: 4.37

Having dealt with Schutt products for years at the youth and the high school level, I can tell you that I would not put a piece of Schutt gear on my players, regardless of the type of football equipment it was.  In addition to the inferiority of their product, I can also speak to the degree of difficulty in them honoring their warrantees when their equipment fails.  Put your players in safe gear, from a company that you know will stand behind their product.  Schutt isn't one of them.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline patriotsfatboy1

• Gold
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 10:27:35 PM »
Xenith helmets have been good to us over the last 8 years. I find them to be easier to keep fit during the season. I still don’t think that a helmet will eliminate issues, but they are really good and the initial price point is good.

The only issue that I would raise is that their design makes reconditioning more expensive over time. With the integrated nature of the helmet, parts are more expensive than some others. Just keep that in mind.

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 11:45:29 PM »
Having dealt with Schutt products for years at the youth and the high school level, I can tell you that I would not put a piece of Schutt gear on my players, regardless of the type of football equipment it was.  In addition to the inferiority of their product, I can also speak to the degree of difficulty in them honoring their warrantees when their equipment fails.  Put your players in safe gear, from a company that you know will stand behind their product.  Schutt isn't one of them.

--Dave
I don't disagree with you that Schutt hasn't been a disappointment in the past but the numbers clearly show they are rated well now. Maybe they have improved their product over time?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 06:51:23 AM by Dimson »

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 02:15:58 AM »
Maybe they hander improved their product over time?

"Maybe?" isn't worth the risk to me.  I won't risk the safety and well-being of my players, when I know there are safer and more reputable manufacturers out there.

--Dave

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 06:54:40 AM »
"Maybe?" isn't worth the risk to me.  I won't risk the safety and well-being of my players, when I know there are safer and more reputable manufacturers out there.

--Dave
I should have said clearly, at least according to those tests. Which were done by an independent 3rd party. And I said in terms of value. Not every org can afford the more expensive helmets that have similar ratings at the Shutt.

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 10:18:56 AM »
Not every org can afford the more expensive helmets that have similar ratings at the Shutt.

All I'm saying is that when you already know the quality is bad, stay away from it.  That's why I won't use a Schutt product.

--Dave

The Mission Statement:

Offline JustPlay

• Copper
  • Winners do
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 09:12:34 AM »
My son used the Vicis last year and loved it. It held up well and reconditioning was $50. If it were not for the cost - which has come down 55% compared to last year everybody would use it. The Virginia test provides some good info, but it does weight the test to frontal hits. I prefer the NFL testing with rotational forces factored in at a higher rate.
nothing replaces effort. nothing replaces the mind. One with out the other is a waste.