Author Topic: Confused on Zone rules, HELP!  (Read 14722 times)

Online mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: Confused on Zone rules, HELP!
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2011, 11:36:53 AM »
Nah it wasn't super smurfs, just regular (really goofy) kids, that was the telling part.

Rich

I helped my son coach his 6 year old team....total goofs.  :)

I will add that the year we went all in running OZ / IZ we ran the table and won the championship....but not because of our running game.

I need to firgure this out.

Coach Mike
What is beautiful, lives forever.

CoachKell

« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2011, 11:47:36 AM »
Rich

I helped my son coach his 6 year old team....total goofs.  :)

I will add that the year we went all in running OZ / IZ we ran the table and won the championship....but not because of our running game.

I need to figure this out.

Coach Mike

Could've been alot of things.  Better coach, (most likely)  more horses.. who knows.  I just know it can be taught to any level. 

coltscoach

« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2011, 09:44:53 AM »
Getting them to understand covered and uncovered and how to come off to the second level is more than enough for the kids to handle. I liken it to trying to teach 5 kids to drive different cars at the same time.  They are traveling at 10 MPH at the same time and you say step on the brake. One will jam it to the floor, one will barely touch it, one will miss and hit the gas...You get the picture!  With Zone concepts they all have to work in unison with 1/2 a defender.  What are your rules when the LB comes up right behind the DT's butt and swaps side to side pre-snap?  Sounds asinine but it happens with even the most basic principles.  Too many times I have seen coaches use the "if (insert any team here) can do it so can I mentality!"  This scenario is not limited to zone it happens with everything they are learning.  The expectation is to run but they have to learn to crawl and walk first.   ;)

Shad the one thing that I havent herd say here is the most important in Zone blocking... Verticale push. In IZ you have to get vertical push like my tackling tech the inside zone guys want to hit with the same foot same hand to get leverage on the defensive player... Now once you start getting vertical push like pushing a car once its rolling its easier to push.  Then comes the part that you have to rep over and over and work on it alot more than you think its technique time.. The lineman need to talk yes I know thats an oddity they have to talk. We use Green // meaning going to second level // Red meaning staying.

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2011, 06:13:48 PM »
Coltsy:

The thing that a lot of folks do with Zone is assume that they're getting Combinations across the board.  We all know that just does not happen as much as its perceived.  As such you also have to teach them to block individually. 

I like Zone but truth of the matter is Gap, On, Backer, is hell for some kids to accomplish.  Rich has the right Idea for the whole shooting match. If I understood him right, in youth ball forget IZ and OZ and get the combinations you can get every time. 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

coltscoach

« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2011, 07:01:39 PM »
Coltsy:

The thing that a lot of folks do with Zone is assume that they're getting Combinations across the board.  We all know that just does not happen as much as its perceived.  As such you also have to teach them to block individually. 

I like Zone but truth of the matter is Gap, On, Backer, is hell for some kids to accomplish.  Rich has the right Idea for the whole shooting match. If I understood him right, in youth ball forget IZ and OZ and get the combinations you can get every time. 

Shad IZ may be a little harder but trust me OZ is so easy to teach I coached 5-6 year olds how to do it in TN with sweep plays it was so easy... Look UP track blocking and that is very simular to zone at that level.. its easy man just got to beleive.. drink the coolaide..