Author Topic: Belly XB blocking question...  (Read 124 times)

Offline CoachSteel

• Copper
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Coordinator
Belly XB blocking question...
« on: June 05, 2019, 03:43:59 AM »
So on the Belly XB or weak side ISO what ever you wanna call it, how do you block it vs an odd front? Say you got your WS guard uncovered, a 4 tech on your WS tackle and a  6/7tech standup DE outside the tackle box. My thought is the 4 tech should be slanting to B gap making for a fairly easy fold for the Tackle, have the Guard kick the 7 tech? This would make the play go a little wider than vs an even front. Would you consider just doubling the 4 tech and leave the 7 unblocked?  We saw a 5 man front a lot last season and this will be a new play to the offense this year. Just wondering how ya’ll might block it.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 12:11:39 PM by CoachSteel »

Offline CoachCalande

• Platinum
  • Its never been "My bad"
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: 46
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: Belly XB blocking question...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 05:01:27 AM »
If the guard is covered, x block it ....tackle down, guard traps.

If the guard is not covered fan out
MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: One Back
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 07:32:46 AM »
Fan out

T takes 9
G takes 6
C take 0
Hb take lb
Reach back side

If you are good at option fake the 9 wont move much
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline blockandtackle

• Bronze
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 09:00:28 AM »
So on the Belly XB or weak side ISO what ever you wanna call it, how do you block it vs an odd front? Say you got your WS guard uncovered, a 6 tech on your WS tackle and a wide 9 standup DE outside the tackle box. My thought is the 6 tech should be slanting to B gap making for a fairly easy fold for the Tackle, have the Guard kick the 9 tech? This would make the play go a little wider than vs an even front. Would you consider just doubling the 6 tech and leave the 9 unblocked?  We saw a 5 man front a lot last season and this will be a new play to the offense this year. Just wondering how ya’ll might block it.

You can either:

1.  Just fan it.  T gets to the wide 9 and G blocks the "6 tech" (did you mean 4 or 5 tech?).  The issue with this is that if the 5 slams into your T, he won't get to the 9.

2.  Continue to X block it, with the T basing the 4/5 tech and the G pulling to kick the 9.

One thing to remember is that Belly XB is really more of an off-tackle play than a B gap Iso.  A lot of people don't get that.  Instead of getting downhill quickly like on an I formation Iso, the ball carrier needs to run the rounded "Belly Path" where he steps wide towards the T for 2 steps and then cuts up off the T's butt.  If you don't use that backfield action, the play won't time up properly.

Offline Coach TonyM

• Silver
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: Killer Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 11:38:06 AM »
If the guard is covered, x block it ....tackle down, guard traps.

If the guard is not covered fan out
Yup,  thats my kids rule. My guards call out 1, 2 or 3 on every play.  This tells tackles and other guard where their man is on primarily trap or belly.  If its belly and guard says 1 or 2, then they cross block. He says 3, they both block out. 

Offline CoachSteel

• Copper
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 12:09:35 PM »
You can either:

1.  Just fan it.  T gets to the wide 9 and G blocks the "6 tech" (did you mean 4 or 5 tech?).  The issue with this is that if the 5 slams into your T, he won't get to the 9.

Yea, meant 4 tech...I wrote this pretty late last night.