Author Topic: Hawk tackling system  (Read 984 times)

Online CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
Re: Hawk tackling system
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2019, 09:51:17 PM »
I haven't actually done the KOTS yet, but I'm going to implement it with our 3rd graders. I have an idea for a PVC dummy for that. Once I get it on film, I'll send it to DP for his review. If it passes muster, I'll share it.

I'm looking forward to seeing it.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Online CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2019, 10:00:20 PM »
I fought Dave tooth and nail on "buzz" for years.

No biggie.  So has everyone else.

--Dave

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Stack
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2019, 11:54:10 PM »
What bothered me was how the USA Football clinic taught pursuit.  It was, make the ballcarrier pick the side of the field from you that he wants to operate in.  I don't see the point of this, think it's based on the fallacy that being cut back on is worse than being sped around.

No matter how you approach, you have to cover an angle.  What difference does it make whether part of that angle is to the other side of you, if the angle is the same size?  I think if you're going to channel the opponent, channel to wherever you have help.  If that's equal, then you should aim for the middle of the probability zone of his movement.  If he cuts back and you cut back, what have you lost?  You got slowed down, but so did he.

Offline tiger46

• Copper
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2019, 06:31:01 AM »
It seems USA Football is now using Bobby Hosea's method of chest tackling. We've used it for a number of seasons now. Works quite well. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWsv2P5szdU&t=56s

It doesn't take nearly as many instructions as Mike Singletary is laying out in the USA Football video. He's really over-explaining the hell out of it. 
We start them out on their knees.  1.) Wings 2.) Squat 3.) Chest 4.) Rip! When we do progress them to a standing position. It's the same sequence; except: 4.) Step 5.) Rip! After they get used to 'stepping down' into the tackle,  we remove the 'Step' command and the sequence goes back to the original.

From there we teach the tackle in reverse by fitting the tackler onto the BC as CoachDP does. Progress to Cisar's splatter tackle. When we do finally allow separation we progress to angle tackle drill and what we call the 'Y' drill.  We do modify some things. i.e... We don't have them 'buzz' our feet. We don't have them try to sit on their heels.

Some of the coaching points- We teach them to use a duck walk to close the last few steps with the BC so that they maintain speed and control. We also teach them to never leave their feet. Our players are to drive up and through the tackle.  Don't hit the BC straight down the middle. Keep their heads to one side or, the other. Rip! Don't wrap.

We also teach gator roll and plain old 'firing through the ball-carrier's shins' with a diving body roll.
“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

Online CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2019, 07:33:57 AM »
We teach them to use a duck walk to close the last few steps with the BC so that they maintain speed and control.

If a Duck Walk "maintains speed and control," how fast are they running in the first place?

--Dave

The Mission Statement:

Offline tiger46

• Copper
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2019, 08:22:25 AM »
If a Duck Walk "maintains speed and control," how fast are they running in the first place?

--Dave

Full speed. It's one continuous motion.  We don't 'break down' or,  whatever coaches call it.  We use a tackle dummy or half-round so that players get an idea of how wide their feet should be and the ~distance to travel in that position. Players can cover that distance quite quickly in a duck walk.
“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Stack
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2019, 10:02:26 AM »
We teach them to use a duck walk to close the last few steps with the BC so that they maintain speed and control.
What would you say to using an appropriately-adjusted chute, or some kind of low bridge, to practice this?

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2019, 01:55:30 PM »
What would you say to using an appropriately-adjusted chute, or some kind of low bridge, to practice this?

We use bungie cords...nothing teaches a kid to stay low like a good ole fashioned close line lol
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline tiger46

• Copper
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2019, 06:45:15 PM »

From personal experience, a low bridge worked better in football camp than it did in practice.   The low bridge seems to distract them from concentrating on tracking the BC. They were more worried about getting under the bridge than they were the BC. When we hold our camps, the players have plenty of time to get it right. When were actually at a real practice, time constraints get in the way. We're only being allowed one full pads hitting day this season. That's down from two days allowed from last season. 10min drill; trying to get as many solid reps as possible for as many players as possible. 

Of course, mileage may vary. We use PVC pipe that we use for our O-linemen. Or, we hold up a half-round dummy for them to go under. I've never tried Zach's bungee chord idea to get their attention quickly.  I may have to steal that, Zach.

Offline rpatric

• Copper
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2019, 10:10:57 AM »
Feel free to give me a call and I'll walk you through it.

--Dave

That would be awesome Dave. PM me your contact info and let me know when a good time to get in touch would be. I really appreciate your willingness to help!

Thanks,
Ryan

Online 32wedge

• Copper
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: 46
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2019, 06:11:46 AM »
That would be awesome Dave. PM me your contact info and let me know when a good time to get in touch would be. I really appreciate your willingness to help!

Thanks,
Ryan

Dave explained his progression to me last year.  It's the simplest, easiest and most effective method I have seen. 

Offline rpatric

• Copper
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2019, 06:24:14 AM »
Dave explained his progression to me last year.  It's the simplest, easiest and most effective method I have seen.

I'm looking forward to speaking with him. With 25 6th graders, simple is what I need. I'm always down for some education. Super cool of him to extend the olive branch!

On a sidenote, I'm a first time KB coach. What am I in for man?

Online 32wedge

• Copper
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: 46
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2019, 09:30:25 AM »
I'm looking forward to speaking with him. With 25 6th graders, simple is what I need. I'm always down for some education. Super cool of him to extend the olive branch!

On a sidenote, I'm a first time KB coach. What am I in for man?

I only ran the KB last year.  We had a rough season defensively and I am not sure any defensive scheme would have helped us.  We had low numbers with over half of them being first year players.  I had two young first time assistant coaches.  Most of the games we won were high scoring.  You could get better advice from the guys in the KB thread.

KB can be a great defense.  It was great against spread teams for us.  We had trouble against the power teams.  It is a read and react defense and requires a lot of discipline.  I think you have to have the right type of player at DE and the safeties have to be studs or you will likely get ran over.

I am going back to the 46 this year. KB is a smart defense.  "Find your man, hit your man and play football" just suits me better. 

« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 09:32:06 AM by 32wedge »

Offline spidermac

• Silver
  • Coaching: 7 & Under
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2019, 12:16:00 PM »
Okay, I'm going to chime in here...

First...I actually like the USA Football Stuff...since we started using it, we have become a much better tackling team...that said, I agree with Dave, buzzing feet is stooopid...we do not buzz our feet...we close down hill at a good angle (yes Bob, we take away the cutback, but as we are closing downhill, it takes away the capacity of the ball carrier to out run us, angles are your friend, and downhill taking away the cut back should reduce instances of arm tackles)...and then we use near foot near shoulder on the near hip...we take what we need and leave the rest...

With younger teams, we will stress body position as part of the progression....when first teaching them fit...we fit on a body...we will actually tackle on a body at first as well, progression will be fit, then tackling from their knees, then tackling from two feet, to finally adding some space...and we use different things to "tackle" while working through the whole progression...they will tackle each other, wheels, bags, plyo balls etc....and we use these other things aside from bodies for a couple of different reasons...we can get more reps on something that isn't alive...as we don't have to untangle bodies...we can address body position issues easier as well....

I was at a clinic on Saturday...and went to the tackling session...Texas has a new certification required for all high school football coaches on tackling...the name escapes me...but it was the USA Football Stuff boiled down to the nuts and bolts...I liked what they were selling...I am going to email coach today to see if he will send me a copy of his presentation...some of the slides had the stamp of the new certification in the corner...I will share when I see the name...the thing I liked best about their approach...different players were going to learn to tackle differently based upon scheme and position...it was the first time I had seen that in a clinic...and actually something that I had been doing I guess subconsciously...….for example, a DT in a 4-3 is going to approach the ball carrier at a different angle, with different types of obstacles in his way than a Safety is...so he is going to have to tackle differently than a safety...that 4-3 DE maybe running a player down from behind as he pursues at a good angle through the backfield...teach him how to tackle for that occasion...

Changing gears...we ran KB last season...we liked it...we blew a couple of coverages on play action in game 1...and we got out athleted in another game later in the season, but it was a solid scheme for us...once we had the right players in the right positions...we did fire an OLB after the second game because he wouldn't do his job...
None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

Online CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2019, 12:35:39 PM »
yes Bob, we take away the cutback

--I've never worried about the cutback.  Most ball-carriers are either willing to:
A.) step out of bounds, or
B.) get pushed out of bounds.

I religiously teach our ball-carriers about the cutback and the fact that it's so difficult for them to "get it right" means that ball-carriers just don't concern themselves that much with it.  So I don't worry about it, from a defensive perspective.  Also, if we can force the cutback, then we are forcing the ball-carrier back to our help anyway, so again, it's not a concern of mine.

the thing I liked best about their approach...different players were going to learn to tackle differently based upon scheme and position.

--Chris, kind of like KOTS?

--Dave
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 12:37:32 PM by CoachDP »

The Mission Statement: