Author Topic: Hawk tackling system  (Read 1750 times)

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Assistant
Re: Hawk tackling system
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2019, 04:09:41 PM »
Enduro (I took to calling it "Winner's Circle") was instrumental in my development as a coach. Call it what you want: aggression, effort, physicality, toughness. Whatever. I've come to understand that at team can't consistently win without it. You want your kids tough. We choose to call it Mojo and it is real. You can measure it and quantify it if you know what you're looking for. Are you the team who wins close games, or loses close games. Is your team the one that "blinks" first in a dog fight?

Many coaches refuse to lift a finger to go about getting it, then complain that their players don't have "it". Many more still go about getting it the wrong way. Screaming, threatening, torturing, belittling . . . an endless steam of negativity and painful conditioning with no foreseeable end in sight and often tied to poor performance. Then people wonder why kids quit such a beautiful game.

From Enduro, I learned to push kids past their pre-conceived limits to find new reserves of fortitude. I turn physical duress into a positive experience, which teaches them to overcome emotional duress. I run from player to player, using my USMC "command" voice saying things like:
"I DO NOT SEE A SINGLE QUITTER ON THIS TEAM! I REFUSE TO BELIEVE IT!"
"I KNOW JIMMY WOULD NEVER QUIT ON HIS BROTHERS! HE'LL NEVER LET YOU DOWN"
"IF YOUR BROTHER IS STRUGGLING AND YOU'VE GOT SOME EXTRA EMOTIONAL FUEL, GIVE IT TO HIM!"
"WHEN WE FACE AN OPPONENT, WE KNOW THEY WILL QUIT BEFORE US BECAUSE THEY DO NOT DO 'WINNER'S CIRCLE'. THEY HAVE NOT GONE THROUGH WHAT WE HAVE!"
"WE WILL NEVER LET EACH OTHER DOWN!"

Sometimes I add some humor. Nothing like seeing a kid go from "about to cry" to laughing as they push through. We don't do Enduro. I think Mahonz indulged me and let me run it once or twice. He would run something similar from time to time, having "relays" where they would get into groups and take turns running hills. Same concept. We've figured out other ways to get that "Mojo" out of them, but the idea is the same. Never put them down. Convince them that they have superhuman will power. Most won't disappoint.
Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2019, 05:12:40 PM »
I turn physical duress into a positive experience, which teaches them to overcome emotional duress.

^ This.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline rpatric

• Benefactors
  • Copper
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Split
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2019, 08:09:03 AM »
I'm looking forward to pushing my boys past their comfort zone. We just finished up with our preseason workouts, and I made them much more intense and physical than any of the boys were expecting. The results were awesome! We only had 9 show up for the first session, but we worked hard and the kids loved it. The second session turned out 14 kids and I introduced lots of contact with bags and shields. By the end of that session the kids were flying around like crazy people. It was 90 degrees and the air was like peanut butter, but when I called the practice the kids wanted to keep going! I saw early signs of aggression, even from players that have been very timid in the past. The 3rd and final session had 19 kids! A few of them were actually veterans from the other team! My HC has been very receptive to this idea of extreme intensity and I can already see that it's going to do wonders for the culture of our team. I really appreciate all of the amazing advice I'm getting from you guys!

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2019, 08:47:12 AM »
I'm looking forward to pushing my boys past their comfort zone.

—We call it, “Getting them comfortable being uncomfortable.”  In other words, just getting them used to it.

We just finished up with our preseason workouts, and I made them much more intense and physical than any of the boys were expecting. The results were awesome!

—See how that works?

We only had 9 show up for the first session, but we worked hard and the kids loved it.

—And yet some coaches would accuse you of running off kids...

The second session turned out 14 kids and I introduced lots of contact with bags and shields. By the end of that session the kids were flying around like crazy people.

—Interesting how that works.

It was 90 degrees and the air was like peanut butter, but when I called the practice the kids wanted to keep going!

—Ta-Da!

I saw early signs of aggression, even from players that have been very timid in the past.

—Told ya. :P

My HC has been very receptive to this idea of extreme intensity and I can already see that it's going to do wonders for the culture of our team.

—Kudos to your header, but congrats to you for being open-minded and willing to learn.

—Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline patriotsfatboy1

• Benefactors
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2019, 01:08:51 PM »
Thank you for carving out some time for me Dave! I really got a lot of great insight from our conversation and I am very grateful for all of your help!. Can't wait to learn about the circle of death ;D

Dave will be a great resource if you listen to him.  Not everyone does.  Don't be afraid of what he is going to say either. 

Offline DumCoach

• Administrator
  • Platinum
  • "What me worry? I'm not far enough behind yet!"
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: DC 46
  • Offense: DC Wing T
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2019, 05:00:15 AM »
OK!  Since the subject of "Hawk" tackling seems to have run out, I posted in the DC Wing T forum how to teach a running back to beat USA tackling.  It being so commonly taught now it seemed a running back solution was in order.  Comments are welcome in that forum (either additions or subtractions - My feelings won't be hurt.).  I'm always willing to make the topic better and we have some great coaches here.   :)
"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."