Author Topic: First crack at spring ball  (Read 120 times)

Offline sabot6d

• Copper
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: 4-4 Split
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Head Coach
First crack at spring ball
« on: June 19, 2019, 01:52:11 AM »
As the new HC of our varsity program i wanted to get more value out of the offseason than we have historically.   We have a small program with a weird setup. I coach the team for kids who dont have one. Half of my players are homeschool kids and the other half come from 4 different small charter schools. Our team has no facilities what so ever. We rent everything but the trailer we store our equipment in.  Last year we had a roster of 25. 9 of those were seniors.

Our program is going into its 19th season. They have never attempted a spring 7on7. Offseason activities have always been 1 fundraiser and 1 single day camp that is free and open to anyone 14-18yrs old.

This year we decided to take a shot at it. We were surpringly successful going against teams significantly larger than us.  We had 6 two hour practices. Im running a completely different offense than before (we ran a shitty power I, by shitty i don't mean all power I's just ours.  No concrete blocking schemes just plays someone made up on napkins 15 years ago and no coach since has questioned it until now). The pass D in our conference is garbage. We have a great group of athletes and are very short on linemen.

In 6 practices we installed Mesh, Smash, Switch and Verts. Just for fun we also threw in DCs R&S i just called the play "choice"

We had a rough draw for competitors for our 3 games at the MSU 7on7 passing camp. We won 2 out of 3 games. Given that i knew in advance we had 3 games and we had all 3 QBs show up i chose to play each QB for 1 entire game and see where each stood on the install and handling the reads.

QB1 did great. Everything as i taught it and aside from the nerves of the first series we scored at will.

QB2 made great throws but kept pushing the deep ball when he should've gone underneath. He was saved by his receivers.

QB3 had a rough go. Downpouring rain and a tired team. Receivers lost discipline and started running the wrong routes. Which made him hesitant and then his throws were off. That annoyed the receivers so instead of buckling down and doing the right thing ti help him out it just got worse  QB1 asked to go in. I told him no and to be a leader and help. After a 3rd unsuccessful offensive series he scolded the receivers for screwing around and not doing what they were supposed to. Then he tried to boost QB3s confidence. The next 10 offensive plays we scored 4 touchdowns and 3 15+ yard gains.

We kept our spring to just that. We are hosting a combine at Taylor University on June 29th. Minicamp on July 13th then team camping trip on July 27th before starting practice on August 5th.

Fall is not far away at all.

Offline Seabass

• Silver
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Assistant
Re: First crack at spring ball
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 03:45:36 PM »
We wouldn't be able to compete in our league without spring ball. It's probably THE most important time of the year for us.

Offline coachmiket

• Silver
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 04:46:44 PM »
We wouldn't be able to compete in our league without spring ball. It's probably THE most important time of the year for us.

I'm interested to hear you elaborate on this....as well as have others chime in on how important they feel spring ball is. How do you use it?  More team oriented stuff?  Individual player development?  What is the retention rate of things you install in spring when it comes time for the fall season?

Just curious.

Offline Coach TonyM

• Silver
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 07:31:33 PM »

I don't get it... I think they should ban it.   Kids have to specialize in football.  Practice all summer and all fall.  Then go back at it in the spring.  When do they get to play baseball or run track?  Why would they want to?  Don't get me wrong, but I don't know if I would be that committed to give up my entire summer and have to do it in the fall.   When I played, we had 2 weeks of spring training.  We went with no gear, and it was simply conditioning. It was mainly for the kids not doing anything else.  During the summer,  we had 1 week long mini camp, and everybody hated it.   Now, they go helmet and shoulder pads in the spring. They can't go live...but everybody does.  They can only go helmet and shoulder pads in the summer and can't go live...but everybody does.

Rant over, but I don't get it.

Offline Seabass

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 04:05:33 PM »
The way it works around here is that spring ball starts right after the conclusion of the spring sport state championships. At that point there are 2 weeks left in school. We practice together for those 2 weeks...right after school. After those 2 weeks we go to a team camp. Then it's over, that's it. Kids still have all summer to play hoops and baseball or both.

We have S/C in the morning 4 days/week and 2 days a week we can do some non-contact indi time. Nobody loses their summer and they can go on vacation, come back and they aren't "left behind."

My youngest son plays baseball, basketball and football. He's busy but he's not run ragged other than 2 weeks in June when all 3 have a little over lap.

We use the spring time to get a lot of installation done on both sides as well as getting guys appropriately positioned. Nothing is set in stone after spring but we also aren't starting at square 1 in August. I think it makes the quality of play much better in the fall.

Offline Seabass

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 04:09:42 PM »
I'm interested to hear you elaborate on this....as well as have others chime in on how important they feel spring ball is. How do you use it?  More team oriented stuff?  Individual player development?  What is the retention rate of things you install in spring when it comes time for the fall season?

Just curious.

Retention rate isn't 100% but it's pretty high. The guys that end up playing on Friday night retain everything from spring. We do very little skill and technique during the spring because when you get to team camp you are always playing other teams and you have to be able run some stuff.

In the summer we work on some technique and then again in the fall. We can do more indi time in the fall because we have most of our installation done already. Every HS in our area operates this way.