Author Topic: Colorado in the National News  (Read 496 times)

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Assistant
Colorado in the National News
« on: June 19, 2019, 01:40:09 PM »
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2019/06/19/colorado-youth-baseball-fight-police-investigating-brawl-among-adults/1498722001/

I drive by this school twice a day, every day. Nothing to do with the school, other than they rent out the baseball field to local youth leagues. These two teams belong to clubs that Mahonz and I coach against in the Fall. I believe this is the same age group that we coach, so it's very possible that some of these "parents" have been at our football games.
Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Online CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
Re: Colorado in the National News
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 01:44:53 PM »
"coaches and parents started throwing punches during a game for 7-year-olds that featured a 13-year-old umpire"

First of all, you don't put a 13-year-old in that kind of position.  Not fair to him, and only stupid can result.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 02:17:46 PM »
Pathetic Behavior.

Dave to your question.  Way back when I was a young Lad, one of my Summer Jobs was Umpiring. We made 5.00 per game.  Started when I was 13 and went through Sophomore Year. 

Only 1 time did I ever have any "Adult" problem.  It never reached this "Level Of STUPID".   

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Online CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 04:28:55 PM »
Way back when I was a young Lad

That was a long time ago.  We also sat on grandpa's lap and steered the car while he worked the brake and gas pedals.  That's just as dumb. 
With parents now making the weekly viral Youtube lists at youth sports, you don't enlist a 13-year-old to oversee a ballgame.  That's just calling for trouble.

--Dave
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 04:31:02 PM by CoachDP »

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 06:08:38 PM »
"coaches and parents started throwing punches during a game for 7-year-olds that featured a 13-year-old umpire"

First of all, you don't put a 13-year-old in that kind of position.  Not fair to him, and only stupid can result.

--Dave

No argument from me. For years, I've seen 13 year olds reffing 8 year old hockey games. Bad, bad, bad situation. Apparently, one of the teams had 8 players. That's an automatic out whenever you go through the lineup. The parents of that team were upset about that. The 13 year old ref was asked to do something about the profanity from the parents. Parents took the field for some damn reason or another. One mom grabbed a bat to use as a weapon and some dad tried to take it from him and got jumped by about a dozen guys. Then all hell broke loose.

Certain areas of Denver are known for thug parents. One of these clubs certainly has that reputation. They feel that trash talk and intimidation from the fans are part of the youth sports experience.
Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Online mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 06:23:25 PM »
A fight broke out at my Grandsons game last Saturday....7th graders.

I filmed the event and almost got attacked for doing so.

I blame baseball. Its so fucking boring it turns into MMA for the fans for entertainment. It should be banned.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 07:00:14 PM »
A fight broke out at my Grandsons game last Saturday....7th graders.

I filmed the event and almost got attacked for doing so.

I blame baseball. Its so fucking boring it turns into MMA for the fans for entertainment. It should be banned.

I would buy that 20 years ago, but nowadays, you can just get caught up on Game of Thrones on your smartphone.

Online CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 09:06:32 PM »
They feel that trash talk and intimidation from the fans are part of the youth sports experience.

It is amazing to me how many players, parents ands coaches feel that "trash talk" is an asset to the game.  They even do features on ESPN about who is the "best" trash talker, as if that were something to be proud of.  Unbelievable...

--Dave

The Mission Statement:

Offline mrdeadeye

• Silver
  • Win is not a dirty word!
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: DC Wing T
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 11:32:38 PM »
I have been an umpire/official for as long as I can remember. My kids 14/16/19/22 all umpire as well. The stuff we see is ridiculous. To the point that I bought a pair of sunglasses with a built in camera just to make sure that if something happens I have it documented.

There is such a shortage of umpires in our area that there are literally hundreds of games each weekend that go without officials. I got an offer tonight to do a single game for 100 bucks because it was the teams playoff game and they literally had to outbid other places for the officials.

As an official its great because the rates are just gonna keep going up. As a person its terrible to watch.
TW
Winners Make it Happen

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 11:59:29 PM »
So it’s a league rule that this age group will be umpired by a “young teenager”.

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: One Back
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 08:41:07 AM »
It is amazing to me how many players, parents ands coaches feel that "trash talk" is an asset to the game.  They even do features on ESPN about who is the "best" trash talker, as if that were something to be proud of.  Unbelievable...

--Dave

Trash talk should be fun, and if someone gets upset just beat them. Least thats how its always been for me, both sides. Makes things more interesting
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 12:15:17 PM »
Trash talk should be fun, and if someone gets upset just beat them. Least thats how its always been for me, both sides. Makes things more interesting
Nothing like beating someone who has been trash talking you the whole game. Sweet, sweet revenge, lol.

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 05:28:41 PM »

What I'm talking about goes beyond trash talk. Some teams and some areas try to bring the Raiders' "Black Hole" mentality to a youth game. It's a "meet me in the parking lot" mindset. From here on out, I'm going to take Mahonz' approach and just be super nice to everyone.

Lakewood police knew the name of "teal shorts guy" before they left the field. Teal shorts is on one team's roster as a coach.

Another "altercation" took place in the last meeting between these two teams. One team asked the league for an adult official and police presence in advance of the 2nd game. It would seem that request was not accommodated. So it's one thing to say a 13 year old shouldn't have the sole burden of managing a game. It's on another level when a 13 year old is tasked with this when at least one team is expecting problems. BTW, the 13 year old's family has addressed the media to say the kid is devastated that he couldn't control the game and that one coach is in trouble for trying to protect him.

This, according to local news including a 20 minute interview with the husband of the woman filming.

Online CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2019, 07:06:08 PM »

That's not how I see it, but most seem to.

--Dave

The Mission Statement:

Online mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2019, 02:05:31 AM »
From here on out, I'm going to take Mahonz' approach and just be super nice to everyone.

Fly's with honey.

Who else do you know that runs a business with his x wife?  ???
What is beautiful, lives forever.