Author Topic: 7on7  (Read 117 times)

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
7on7
« on: June 19, 2019, 08:36:22 PM »
Today we went to our second ever 7on7. Our first one in the Spring I documented we went 1-4. Today was quite different we went 5-1. Our only loss was to our arch rival, actually we should have won. It was our second game of the day & we missed some throws.

We got in a QB transfer, he has only been with us for a week. More importantly we got his dad who has coached with our HC for years. The man is a very good solider & has already made a difference with our WR's.

I worked the QB's win & your in. If they scored they stayed in, if not they rotated. Competition is a great thing. Both played well, still missing some throws but light years from where we were. The new QB had 3 TD drives in row at one point. We have a BB player who has come out & actually gives us an X. Our slot had a very good day, & even the player at Z was much improved.

Defense had 7INT's in 6 games. Our LB's were all over the field & challenged every route. We still could be better in the secondary, but overall everyone competed.

It's progress, still not where we need to be. On the positive side they work hard & want to be good.

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline bayoubengal

• Copper
  • Coaching: 9 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: DC Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: 7on7
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 09:00:12 PM »
Sounds like a good start coach. After summer work and fall camp I’m sure they’ll be ready.

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 10:12:04 AM »
Great to hear Joe. I know you are making a big change and it is going to take time but it sounds like you are already making progress.

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 06:00:37 PM »
BB & C

Thanks guys, it's definitely a work & not easy. I look back to our first day & we threw 150 balls in "Pat n Go" only completing 3. Afterwards, I really wondered if I had biten off a challenge I couldn't handle. I had a lefty QB who took righty steps. Receivers who had never counted steps & knew what a stem step was. I left behind a rising sophmore QB who threw for 2200 yds & already has a SEC offer. Receivers who knew how to stack a defender. Most importantly a coaching staff that could work together. That is perhaps the biggest leason I have learned.

Our coaching staff is finally coming around. We have added a few men who make a huge difference. We still aren't where we need to be, but it is improving. I knew with small squads I could get by with a small staff. Here with 80 players it is impossible.

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh