Author Topic: BIG BOY FOOTBALL!  (Read 333 times)

Offline COACH JC

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: BIG BOY FOOTBALL!
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2019, 01:43:33 AM »
Any technique tips?

Weight on balls of feet. Feet just outside shoulders. If they have a naturally athletic stance that isn’t exactly how I want it, i’m okay w/ that. I prefer they’re comfortable. But if they don’t then I prefer a slight stagger w/ their dominant foot back. Whatever foot they’d use to push a skateboard is what I want them to use to push off on their get off.

Back should be in the position it would be if you were attempting to carry a refrigerator on your back.

I like hands fo start on the w/ the base of their palms at the top of their thigh pads. Granted that more just about being uniform. Not sure there’s any actual benifit to it.
It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2019, 06:46:08 AM »
My main concern right now is what to do w/ the smaller slower kids, who are good football players, but not quite big enough to be great lineman, & not quite fast enough to be speed guys.

Most of my lineman from last year are now kind of in-between.
If they were linemen in the past, don't write them off just based on their size. Especially if they were really good linemen in the past. I promise you size doesn't matter as much as you think, especially at your level. The key at your level is will. If they have the will to block, you can find a spot for them. I have seen numerous times at 8U where a small guy handled a much bigger guy all because he wanted it more and was much more aggressive.

Offline 32wedge

• Copper
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: 46
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2019, 07:55:46 AM »
If they were linemen in the past, don't write them off just based on their size. Especially if they were really good linemen in the past. I promise you size doesn't matter as much as you think, especially at your level. The key at your level is will. If they have the will to block, you can find a spot for them. I have seen numerous times at 8U where a small guy handled a much bigger guy all because he wanted it more and was much more aggressive.

Exactly.

Evaluate every kid each season.

My 2015 Center became my 2016 Fullback/Mike with 800 yards rushing, 9 TDs and the team MVP trophy.  My 2016 Left Guard became my 2017 Tailback/Mike with 1500 yards rushing and 18 TDs and the team MVP trophy.  My 2017 Center became my 2018 QB/SS with more TD passes than my first 13 years of coaching and the MVP trophy.

One year can make a big difference in a young athletes abilities.  You have to reevaluate with an open mind.

Offline Seabass

• Silver
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2019, 09:01:02 AM »
WOW. Samoan kid or? 190 lb RB is scary as hell. lol

Don’t know if he was Samoan but definitely some sort of Polynesian. He’s now a sophomore, everybody has caught up to him physically and he’s just one of the guys out there. When he was in 7/8th grade he was scary.