Author Topic: My 2019 Fall Season  (Read 993 times)

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
My 2019 Fall Season
« on: July 25, 2019, 12:11:45 PM »
Gents

Numbers grew this season for our Org. Our 3rd grade Division nearly split into 3 teams of 16-17 but both of us 3rd grade coaches were able to make our point for larger rosters. I have 24 and will probably end up at 25.

We have the Staff to accommodate this.

Crazy weird off season.  We lost 9 players. Denver is now a VERY expensive place to live. We lost 4 families that moved away due to this alone. Last season our League dropped all boundaries so any player can play anywhere. We had 3 families that traveled long distances because our Org has a good reputation. All 3 decided to stay in their own areas for 2019 due to way too much windshield time. 

Last year as a 2nd grade team, 1st graders are allowed to play in this division. We had 6 1st graders to start 2018. This did not go well. Two quit during the 2018 season and 2 more quit this off season. We now have 2 2nd graders playing on our 3rd grade team. My take....there is not all that much difference mentally between a 4th grader and a 5th grader, for example. The difference between a 1st grader and a 2nd grader is like the Grand Canyon. The League needs to stop doing this...it forces players away from the game.

So we had 14 returning players. A horrible retention rate for me. We recruited 8 and drafted 2.

We basically have a new team all over again but looking forward to the season. After last Spring I need to get back to football with integrity.

We are running the Wing T and Lar's Amoeba 33... if the kids can relate to being Amoebas. I think they can....Smurfs do that anyway !

Practice starts Aug 6th.  :)
Collect moments, not wins.

Offline DREagle

• Bronze
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: DC Wing T
Re: My 2019 Fall Season
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 04:31:10 PM »
This will be my first season in a while not coaching.  Looking forward to seeing the boys that I've coached play in high school, but it's a little weird not doing that last minute scramble to get everything in order for another youth season.

Good luck this season! You will probably see me lurking around on some JYFA sidelines this season just to avoid withdrawals.

Offline CoachBrian

• Silver
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: DC Wing T
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 09:23:00 PM »
Our numbers are actually up a little bit from last year as well.  Hopefully this is a new trend.

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: One Back
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 08:55:26 AM »
Since i visited 3/4 years ago or so cost of living has sky rocketed in denver as to why im still in Philly lol that and that chick got married and had a kid...but i digress. Love denver will be back!
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 11:22:17 AM »
This will be my first season in a while not coaching.  Looking forward to seeing the boys that I've coached play in high school, but it's a little weird not doing that last minute scramble to get everything in order for another youth season.

Good luck this season! You will probably see me lurking around on some JYFA sidelines this season just to avoid withdrawals.

We are AR32...and yes you will be helping us when you show up.  ;) ;)

I need your Wing T experiences. Its been a while for me.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 02:05:34 AM »
Good grief our Line is going to be huge. 3 can move. 2 can not...yet. One has been out of town all week.

A nice blank sheet of paper to work with for sure.

Also found a Center that can gun snap even with a bully boy over him.

The football Gods have been kind to us this off season.  We were so tiny last season. Now we have to see if we improved on our overall team speed. Hard to tell....yet.

I like Lars nutty professor Defense. Kids are flying around after very little instruction.  Its a no holds barred....who wants some ....come get some approach.  My only concern is a good wedge team might be an issue and we do play one REALLY good Goodman style side saddle O that runs a deadly wedge.  That will be a scout thing unless of course we play them game one.

Note - we all use to poke a little fun at Bob's Side Saddle O. Im hear to say that O is a flippin nightmare to defend. Not too many O's out there with a QB under center and at depth at the same time. Whole different animal compared to a BB in the SW. 

Anyhoo...roster is shaping up nicely. Now us coaches have to organize the ants on the anthill.

We are taking the same approach with the last 3rd grade team we coached...a Championship year in 2012.

65% of all practice time will go towards the Defense. 30% towards the Offense. 5% to KO / KOR and other stuff.

80% team. 20% drilling but only as needed.  IMHO Kids dont learn how to play football when they have little to no experience playing football before by doing drills. They learn how to play football by playing football. Technique will come as we go. Run a few play....teach.....run a few plays....teach....run a few plays teach. 2 days of Scout O...one day of Scout D.

What this did for us last Smurf go round was pretty apparent.  We started 2-1 beating a team that was our equal and a team that was horrible. We lost to a team that was far better than us only to obliterate them in the playoffs.

Our opponents did nothing but work on their O's because that is sexy. Their D's suffered as teams got better making our simple little Wing T  / Beast O more effective.  We focused in on 7 bread and butter plays and practiced them to death expanding just a little as the season went along. But our D....whoa Momma. Brutal. Games 5 thru the Championship was Murders Row and we beat every comer by 20+ kicking the crap out of 3 undefeated teams along the way..

So...thats the plan in 2019. Do the opposite of your opponent. See what happens.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 02:08:32 AM by mahonz »

Offline COACH JC

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 03:54:26 AM »
The Wing T??? Why was I not brought in on this. I coached 9U last year too. I have so many insights to share. lol
It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 09:40:12 AM »
The Wing T??? Why was I not brought in on this. I coached 9U last year too. I have so many insights to share. lol

Im all ears my friend. I have certainly paid attention to your posts over the years.

I have been running Wing T on and off for a long time but its always just the basics.

Offline COACH JC

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 04:35:08 PM »
Im all ears my friend. I have certainly paid attention to your posts over the years.

I have been running Wing T on and off for a long time but its always just the basics.

I suggest puttiing in OSV. It’s absolute death to the boxing slow reacting DE’s you’ll be facing.

We went double tight, flexed our left “TE” about 3 yards fom the LT & made him a “5” back. This really opened up Belly and OSV. DE’s would line up outside our flexed 5. When they didn’t we just ran outiside of him.

For our 5 back, we ran tackle trap off OSV action, & buck sweep off of belly backfield action. This year we’ll be running Sally to him.

There’s a lot, but adding a 5th back (counting our QB in this) into the mix really made us even more dynamic. Worth taking a look at.

Offline COACH JC

• Platinum
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 04:47:29 PM »
This is the kind of bubbles we’d see w/ our flexed 5. Eventually we just started flexing both TE’s

Offline COACH JC

• Platinum
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2019, 04:51:29 PM »
Then we’re just like “how far can we take this?” lol. We’d offset our FB, put our 5 & our HB over to the right. Just create a huge bubble, block it as OSV & just let our back be an athlete. No reverse pivot, just open to it, QB brings the ball to the 6 hole bubble and just let the back press/bounce/press/bounce.

Figure this kind of stuff would appeal to your beast sensibilities.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 10:20:11 AM »
Thanks Jake!

Im going to scribble on this today.

Offline Vince148

• Silver
  • Coaching: High School
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2019, 05:27:43 PM »
Just run the slot-T. You get the best of both worlds. Buck series to the slot side and a blast series to the strong side.
To the slot side: 349 sweep, 333 trap, and 8HR
To the strong side: 234/6 blast, 228 pitch, and 243 tackle trap

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 12:27:49 AM »
Offensive install today. 4 plays. I was impressed. I have the o-line again with 4 rookies.

Taught them the importance of o-line and the origin of the term "Regulators"
Taught them their job . . . Be on my guy when the whistle blows.
Taught them the positions and how to line up. Stressed the importance of finding their spot and standing still.
Taught them a good 2 point stance.
Ran a drill teaching them our cadence. On "hit" they all run around Mahonz' wagon, sprint back to the ball and reload. Lesson learned from last year's 2nd graders is that you will save hours later by spending 10 minutes teaching them how to line up on their own.
Taught them our monuments
Taught them how to step to their monuments and what to do next. Hands fit and fast feet.
Got a ton of reps against 1 player DL and 3 coaches holding bags.

Mahonz needed a little more time, so I ran some of Michael's 3 Cone Drill

Joined the backs and ran some offense.

Lots of work to do, but very pleasantly surprised. One of the 4 rookies is a baller out of the box. The other 3 . . . I had my concerns. Lightbulbs went on for all 3. I simply could not have asked for a better first day of playing o-line. No penetration, which alone is 80% of the battle with 8 year olds.

Mahonz' backfield action is going to be a bear to defend.
Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Offline COACH JC

• Platinum
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2019, 12:56:22 AM »
Our team’s the furthest behind they have ever been. Really is insane. I honestly can’t see how we can possibly win a football game anytime soon. lol. I don’t know what is happening but i’ve never felt more unprepared this late into the season. If we play anyone even semi decent in our jamboree next week, I think we get our ass kicked.

Not even exaggerating when I say we have one play installed that we might be able to run correctly as a unit. It’s pretty wild.