Author Topic: My 2019 Fall Season GM1, GM2  (Read 1623 times)

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Assistant
Re: My 2019 Fall Season
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2019, 04:15:48 AM »
My question (argument?) is how successful would wide splits work against a team that refuses to widen?  All larger gaps ever gave our defense was more room to play football on our opponent's side of the line of scrimmage. 

Lar, I think you’re the only coach (that I know of) who has implemented our pursuit

—Dave

That's why we shouldn't ever have to worry about it. One of our coaches is trying to convince me to ditch it, but until something better is suggested, I'm sticking with it. How do you stop an extremely talented RB at the 3rd grade level? You sure don't do it by trying to tackle him with one guy.

In one of our discussions, my counter argument was that by refusing to move out with us, you are giving up leverage. That made no sense to you, which made no sense to me. Now I understand. I get it. Leverage only comes into play if a blocker makes contact with a defender. Refuse to play that game and you beat mega splits.

Truth be told, I'm behind the curve on the offense. I came to install day unprepared, but Mahonz got me up to speed in the 5 minutes we had before practice. I thought I understood what we were trying to do and that mega splits were out, but that was an incorrect assumption on my part. Hearing that we will gradually widen the splits is a stress reliever for me. I know how to make it work and I'm pretty sure we have the guys for it. I've seen them do well here and there. It's a matter of getting them to do it consistently. Hell, we went into this scrimmage with 1.5 offensive practices. We have 2 weeks before our first game and another scrimmage before that. Also have to find a Center.
Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Online CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2019, 07:12:06 AM »
Thing is its now about a 3 day drive because every f-ing disgruntled Californian has moved here over the last decade.

Not surprised. Debbie called and started talking about properties out there.  She said the weather was nicer than Palm Springs. ::)

—Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Online CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2019, 07:16:05 AM »
That’s like being an air raid team that doesn’t throw the ball.

Oooooo!  That’d be cool! 😎

—Dave

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2019, 08:45:44 AM »
Wait, you’re anti trap??? We must fight now.

When we play other elite teams, trap is the play we count on most. You can’t be a WT team w/o guard & tackle trap. That’s like being an air raid team that doesn’t throw the ball.

The only traps I will run are no pull traps.  We use a sniffer back to execute the trap.  They are actually better because you have another OLM to work with.  Plus you have the space to trap a 1 tech if need be. Still....its one of the last plays I will consider. Traditional trap is an expensive teach and requires aggressive interior DLM....the one position DC's will play MP's. 
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2019, 08:52:24 AM »
Not surprised. Debbie called and started talking about properties out there.  She said the weather was nicer than Palm Springs. ::)

—Dave

People dont realize that Denver is the high desert.  It will be 96 today with a relative humidity of 10%.

Real difference being the overnight low was 57. 

Offline coachmiket

• Silver
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2019, 09:12:13 AM »
Found out our C is not the man for the job. Looked good in practice, but in the scrimmage . . .

We've got some candidates. I eliminated 4 players from defense, so Mahonz will find them a home where they can be productive.

The bad:
CB/Dog combo on one side took horrible angles to the inside and were burned repeatedly. They will be playing different positions going forward.

Maybe I'm missing something.  This was your first scrimmage opportunity, right?  Why are you so quick with firing players instead of coming back to practice and trying to coach them up on their mistakes and see if they can make the fixes and improve?

Is it a numbers thing that allows you to do this?

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2019, 09:26:09 AM »
Maybe I'm missing something.  This was your first scrimmage opportunity, right?  Why are you so quick with firing players instead of coming back to practice and trying to coach them up on their mistakes and see if they can make the fixes and improve?

23 on the Roster. We are constantly looking for the best scenario of each player. Things settle in by about game 3.

All of these players mentioned are rookies and were being played out of position. In time they might do great where we had them...but things move fast and we have no time.  Center has to preform....now.

Online CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2019, 09:35:14 AM »
When I coached youth ball, my starting 11 in Game 1 was never the same starting 11 by the final game.

--Dave

The Mission Statement:

Offline 32wedge

• Copper
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: 46
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2019, 10:13:54 AM »

Wider spits is easier to teach and MUCH easier to troubleshoot. The negative....you must have athletes on the line.

If I had big slow athletes on the line...the splits would have to be tight.  Yesterday Lar played with the splits a bit but only half the OL was performing so we really didnt get very far with that experiment. All we really discovered was who was ready for Prime Time and who was not...which with so many new players was exactly what I needed to see. I walked away very pleased even though we didn't score. Too many turnovers. But thats OK. Easy fix.

That was my assessment also except for the easier to teach and troubleshoot part.   It don't get much easier than TKO and Wedge and those two account for about 95% of my offense.

I promised Lar I would try mega splits last season and I did in practice.  It was hit and miss, no consistency.  We made a few plays and got killed a few plays.  I am sure if I was committed to it, we could get better at it, but I play in a district where most of the defensive tackles are much faster and more athletic than my running backs.  My linemen are generally big and slow or little and slow.  I don't have any confidence that we can move the ball using wide splits.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 10:20:05 AM by 32wedge »

Offline COACH JC

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2019, 11:45:02 AM »
Traditional trap is an expensive teach and requires aggressive interior DLM....the one position DC's will play MP's.

Until you get to the games that matter. At which point traps are CRUCIAL. Last season at 9U’s are trap game was meh most of the regular season. Some games it was useful, some games it wasn’t. But come playoff time it was vital. We lose w/o it.

And I already figured out the DOUBLE 1’s issue for you. Run tackle trap. C, BSG double backside 1, PSG & T go up to backer. T kicks out trap man.

Trap’s been our best play for 10 years. The cost to me is no more than any other play. You guys are really missing a key component of the offense imo. What do you guys run to the FB off of buck sweep action?

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2019, 02:32:25 PM »

I found over the years that putting guys in the right place to take advantage of their natural tendencies is better for everyone than fighting them all season. I coached D-line last year, but watched our DC struggle with these two. Super aggressive and over confident in their abilities. Much better fit for us at OLB than Corner/Dog.

Center isn't ready. He looked decent in practice, but when the bullets started flying, he folded. Not blaming him. Blaming us for putting him in that position. He will be a player. I'm confident about that. But in the meantime, we have to snap the ball and keep NTs out of the backfield.
Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2019, 02:34:35 PM »
That was my assessment also except for the easier to teach and troubleshoot part.   It don't get much easier than TKO and Wedge and those two account for about 95% of my offense.

I promised Lar I would try mega splits last season and I did in practice.  It was hit and miss, no consistency.  We made a few plays and got killed a few plays.  I am sure if I was committed to it, we could get better at it, but I play in a district where most of the defensive tackles are much faster and more athletic than my running backs.  My linemen are generally big and slow or little and slow.  I don't have any confidence that we can move the ball using wide splits.

It definitely takes a certain RB. Not a super fast or big and strong, necessarily, but one with patience and can read blocks.

Offline DREagle

• Bronze
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Offense: DC Wing T
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2019, 03:55:31 PM »
People dont realize that Denver is the high desert.  It will be 96 today with a relative humidity of 10%.

Real difference being the overnight low was 57.

Folks, please don't believe this nonsense.  Denver is buried in 8 feet of snow with subfreezing temps 9 months out of the year.  We then thaw for one month, broil for one month and get sleet/hailstones the size of 57 Chevy's for one month.

Seriously, it's horrible.  Stay away.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2019, 06:47:17 PM »
Folks, please don't believe this nonsense.  Denver is buried in 8 feet of snow with subfreezing temps 9 months out of the year.  We then thaw for one month, broil for one month and get sleet/hailstones the size of 57 Chevy's for one month.

Seriously, it's horrible.  Stay away.

Oh yah. Hail. We live in Hail Alley. Your cars will eventually get hit...foliage shredded to sticks and your house beat to chit. 

Not exaggerating.

Plus the medium home price right now is....well...i lost track. $375K for a box with no garage about sums it up. 

Offline COACH JC

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2019, 11:55:59 PM »
Oh yah. Hail. We live in Hail Alley. Your cars will eventually get hit...foliage shredded to sticks and your house beat to chit. 

Not exaggerating.

Plus the medium home price right now is....well...i lost track. $375K for a box with no garage about sums it up.

900 k here.
It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!