Author Topic: My 2019 Fall Season GM1, GM2  (Read 1580 times)

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: My 2019 Fall Season
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2019, 02:25:48 PM »
Mike, look at it like this:  It may be like "watching paint dry" for you.  But imagine being the opponent and being forced to watch the paint dry and can't do anything about it.  It's like being in time out, sitting in the corner with nothing to do while time gets stripped off the clock and you can only sit on your hands.  It's definitely water-torture football.  But I enjoy being the administrator.

--Dave

Beast is another watching paint dry Offense. But its more intense because at any moment the football can fly over the QBs head.  :P

I actually enjoyed the DW and so did the players. The Fans? No. I was told to stop running it by the Owner because it hurt the Gate.

Idiot.
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2019, 03:23:46 AM »
On defense, we are SO close. The thing about "fast guy" offenses in younger divisions is that a mistake here or there is fatal. As I said, I eliminated 4 guys based on film, so I'm confident that we have our guys now. We had some guys out of position and have a plan going forward.

The bad:
CB/Dog combo on one side took horrible angles to the inside and were burned repeatedly. They will be playing different positions going forward.
CB/Dog combo on the other side did okay (not perfect) on their angles, but had zero pursuit from the inside. Had a DT/OS combo that will move to offense.
Most of our defense played terrible angles, so while we arrive in force, it was too far down field.
Same Reaper was hitting the A gap on every play, so he was unavailable for outside runs. Mahonz says this is an easy fix.

Scrimmaged the same team tonight that we scrimmaged last Saturday. Tale of Two Cities.

Offense first. Went 100% beast and moved the ball at will. I have literally never seen holes that big. In fact, "holes" doesn't quite cut it. More like voids. Defensive "dead zones".  They started out more or less sound against us, but as we started having success, they moved the bulk of their front away from the POA and loaded up the back side. 6 guys to the short side of the unbalanced formation. So Mahonz threw the ball and worked on our counter game, I assume because running blast at something that stupid proves nothing. Got a look at several potential RBs and I think we've got some potential. Found our "fast guy", who ran a naked counter and scored from our own 5. Also completed a pass for a TD. We scored 3 times, but could have scored at will. Made huge strides and got a lot of kids on film.

Defense.
The most fun I've had in a long time on a football field. Shuffled some positions this week, worked heavy on pursuit, added 2 DTs and a DL coach and we are now officially a "29" defense. On Saturday, this team's talented backs scored 5 times on us. Tonight, they score once on the last play of the scrimmage. The boys pounded them. Punished them. Relentlessly hunted them down and made them pay for touching the ball. Angles were very good and we had more guys to the ball than was worth counting.

CB/Dog combo on one side took horrible angles to the inside and were burned repeatedly. They will be playing different positions going forward.
Corner went to dog. Dog went to Reaper. New corner (our fast guy) had a coming out party and was easily the defensive MVP. The kid made so many amazing plays. They even threw 2 passes and this kid blanketed their WR to the whistle. Former corner, new Dog was ultra aggressive and absolutely stuffed their fast guys when they reversed field.

CB/Dog combo on the other side did okay (not perfect) on their angles, but had zero pursuit from the inside. Had a DT/OS combo that will move to offense.
That side's CB hurt himself on the monkey bars today. Replaced him with a talented rookie. He had a VERY good game. Former A gap blitzing Reaper moved to DOG who was scary aggressive. Made a half dozen hits that drew gasps from the crowd.

Most of our defense played terrible angles, so while we arrive in force, it was too far down field.
Night and day. Made the difference.

Same Reaper was hitting the A gap on every play, so he was unavailable for outside runs. Mahonz says this is an easy fix.

Moved him to Dog where he can be himself. He terrorized this offense.

Mojo was about 5-0.  Best part was when one of our guys went down after taking a helmet to the elbow. His teammates helped him up to get the mojo save.

Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2019, 12:20:18 AM »
First game is Friday Night.

We are going to get curb stomped.

That is all.   :'(

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2019, 10:17:05 AM »
First game is Friday Night.

We are going to get curb stomped.

That is all.   :'(

We'll be okay. We were crap as a staff last night.
Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2019, 10:51:13 PM »
“Curb stomped” about sums it up.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
Re: My 2019 Fall Season, GM1
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2019, 01:04:04 AM »
GAME ONE

Since everyone enjoys Dave's recaps... here is our Dave Potter Style recap.

1st Q
KOR
4 and out
Give up at TD in 2-3 plays.
PAT good
0-7
KOR
4 and out
PAT good
0-14
KOR
4 and out
PAT good
0-21
KOR
4 and out
PAT good
0-28

2nd Q
KOR
4 and out
PAT good
0-35
KOR
4 and out
PAT good
0-42
KOR
4 and out
PAT good
0-49
KOR
4 and out
PAT good
0-56

Halftime – no fucking oranges. We are doomed.

3rd Q
KO
PAT good
0-63
KOR
4 and out
PAT good
0-70
KOR
4 and out
PAT good
0-77
KOR
4 and out
PAT good
0-84

4th Q
KOR
4 and out
PAT good
0-91
KOR
4 and out
PAT good
0-98
KOR
4 and out
PAT good
0-105
KOR
4 and out
PAT good
0-112

Mojo score 0-22.

It was a beautiful night for football. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find my team? I searched everywhere.

Good thing we have a new website. I cant figure out how to post scores so I will let someone else figure it out for me.

0-1 and moving on.  :)

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2019, 01:04:44 AM »
“Curb stomped” about sums it up.

How did you get to DC so fast?

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2019, 05:22:22 AM »
How did you get to DC so fast?

There was a singularity of suckage surrounding me so I stepped through it. A giant turtle swimming in the ocean asked me where I was going, so I said “far from here”. Then he saw my Outlaws shirt and asked, “Do you coach the 3rd Grade Outlaws?” I replied, “I guess what I did can loosely be defined that way”. He said, “I see. That explains the vortex. Hop on. Not to pry, but what the hell do you do with your practice time?”

Offline rpatric

• Copper
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Title: Coordinator
Re: My 2019 Fall Season GM1
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2019, 02:55:37 PM »
That bad huh? I'm sure it's not the concepts. Lots of brand new players i presume....

Offline dcooz

• Copper
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Double Wing
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2019, 03:10:54 PM »
Was that really the score???

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2019, 06:57:10 PM »
Was that really the score???

I missed a pick 6 so it was 0- 119.

Seriously we all lost track.  It was bad. Probably 63 -0?  Website will only post a 40 point differential. I didn't post the score. Couldn't figure out the new website which was fine because I didn't know the score anyway. Our play counter lost track as well. Opposing coach called me today to make sure we were still all good. We are. We were not ready for Prime Time at all.  He was. We went sudo scrimmage mode in the 4th at my request. 

Post game breakdown one of the kids said it was 200-0. We all laughed then went out to eat afterwards and laughed some more. No need to dwell. Its only one game.

I saw the writing on the wall mid week. We are mentally not there yet. Its done....moving on.

Offline Vince148

• Silver
  • Coaching: High School
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2019, 07:39:05 AM »
I missed a pick 6 so it was 0- 119.

Seriously we all lost track.  It was bad. Probably 63 -0?  Website will only post a 40 point differential. I didn't post the score. Couldn't figure out the new website which was fine because I didn't know the score anyway. Our play counter lost track as well. Opposing coach called me today to make sure we were still all good. We are. We were not ready for Prime Time at all.  He was. We went sudo scrimmage mode in the 4th at my request. 

Post game breakdown one of the kids said it was 200-0. We all laughed then went out to eat afterwards and laughed some more. No need to dwell. Its only one game.

I saw the writing on the wall mid week. We are mentally not there yet. Its done....moving on.
Yeah, that's what always bugged me about the "everyone wins" mentality. The only ones dwelling on it are the adults. The kids forget the game and score in a Manhattan minute.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
Re: My 2019 Fall Season GM1, GM2
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2019, 03:25:59 AM »
GAME TWO

Ever play that team whose backfield actions are so incredibly slow that your DLM take a few hand offs from them? 

Ever play that team that thinks a double reverse is a good play? And runs them often...horribly.

Ever play that team whose jet sweeper stops to take the handoff?

Ever play that teams whose staff is so inept they do not have any idea of how the different levels of Defense work?

Ever play that team that runs a Defense where YOU have no clue how to define it?

Ever play that team where your running backs break more tackles than yards gained?

Ever play that team from an Organization notorious for fielding teams that are total shit? So notorious that you have never lost to one of these teams in 35 seasons?

We lost to that team tonight by 2 points.

Play by play breakdown for Dimson -
Us:  suck.... punt. Them: suck...punt.  Us: suck...turnover. Them: suck...turnover. Rinse repeat for a mind numbing 4 quarters. Not exaggerating. How these two teams scored a single point is amazing. Well....not really. Both Defenses sucked just a bit more than the Offenses vrs Offenses that were both pure chit that got lucky a few times vs Defenses that were about as tasty smooth as old toilet water.

BTW we beat this team by 40 last year.

We are inept. Top to bottom.  This is one T E R R I B L E football team right now.  Just awful. Embarrassed to have my name on it. Our kids are clueless after 5 weeks of coaching. Absolutely clueless. Our Staff is even worse. All we do is get in each others way. We cant even mange a simple Banner Run properly anymore. We are Stooges. I would love for someone to film us on game day. The Comedy Channel would scoop that up in a NY minute. We'd  be rich.  :)

My post games remind me of Vance Josephs who was a pathetic excuse of a Head Coach and the King of Stooges. Yep. That’s me now. Im that guy but without the mega paycheck.

Bye week so I get to stew on this one for a while. Yah !

0-2

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: DC Wing T
« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2019, 07:39:31 AM »
Mike,
We all know that coaches don't just forget how to coach. I don't know what happened but I know its not that y'all just, all of a sudden, "forgot how to coach".

**Wing-n-it smacks Mike**...... SNAP OUT OF IT!!

Robert

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2019, 09:24:45 AM »
Mike,
We all know that coaches don't just forget how to coach. I don't know what happened but I know its not that y'all just, all of a sudden, "forgot how to coach".

**Wing-n-it smacks Mike**...... SNAP OUT OF IT!!

LOL....really bad loss.

I got the Staff together yesterday. Bye week. 7 practices before our next opponent that is average at best.

All current systems to the shredder.  Revamp of the positions coaching. Total reboot on philosophy. Its going to be tough but necessary.

This team is a mess but VERY fixable.  Not sure how we got so far out in the weeds but we did. All of us are smart enough to recognize it and fix it.