Author Topic: Four verticals  (Read 190 times)

Offline chucknduck

• Copper
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Head Coach
Four verticals
« on: July 30, 2019, 03:45:47 PM »
I'm coaching 7th and 8th graders this year and I am looking for the a simple way to run four verts.  I've done it in high school but used some route conversions.  Is this concept useless unless you get cover 3 or cover 0 at this level?

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Title: Positions
Re: Four verticals
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 03:52:44 PM »
I'm coaching 7th and 8th graders this year and I am looking for the a simple way to run four verts.  I've done it in high school but used some route conversions.  Is this concept useless unless you get cover 3 or cover 0 at this level?

I wouldn't say it's useless, but you can certainly look to throw under coverage by using swings or arrows with the F out of four verts.

But honestly, at the 7th/8th Grade level, pass coverage is generally so bad that regardless of coverage, if your QB,X,Y,Z,H combos are accurate, I wouldn't worry what the coverage is. 

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: One Back
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 04:04:00 PM »
This is a personell situation i feel. 4 verts in theory can gash any coverage with a proper throw and route. Institute a good move inside 5 yards before committing vertical helps.

Short answer yes, caveat is how well can this be executed? Guess it depends on the players and time they have to master/learn.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 07:07:42 AM by ZACH »
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 04:13:34 PM »
My Experience, of late, is that Kids stop running their routes after about 7-10 yards.   So if you can get 4 kids to run decent routes and time it up then I think you can be successful as I agree with DP that Coverage in many cases is Bad.   

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline spidermac

• Gold
  • Coaching: 7 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Pistol
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 09:36:27 AM »
Maybe I am in the minority here...but I have never had good luck with 4 verts concepts...maybe I just can't teach it correctly...but the Dagger Concept...loads of luck on that against Cover 2 and Cover 3...I introduced it last season....and the depth was inconsistent on the Dig route...it seemed to vary between 7 yards and 12 yards...

Okay, what Dagger meant to us....going from left to right (playside is left)…and we like to run it out of trips...

X running the Dig (10 yards)
H running a Seam like his hair was on fire...he needs to make the safety turn his hips and run with him.
Y running a shallow acroos the formation to the right (basically to move MIKE).
on the back Side, we had Z run a Stop (7 yards)
and F into the right flat

If the seam was run properly, making the Safety turn his hips....the Dig was always open (assuming the Dig was run correctly)...
None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

Offline blockandtackle

• Bronze
  • Coaching: High School
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 11:12:37 AM »

Not necessarily.

My preferred way is to run it from Trips.  Have #2 or #3 cross to the opposite hash at about 18 yards, then go straight down the field.  That will almost always pop open against any 1 high coverage, which you'll see a lot of vs. Trips at that level.  If you see squat Cov. 2, throw the streaks down the sideline into the hole.

It's not so great against 2-Man, but if you can incorporate a 5th receiver underneath on a shallow route or out into the flat, he can pop open, too.  The issue you're going to have is the QB getting the ball downfield on time with enough zip to get there.

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: DC Wing T
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 08:05:47 PM »
X running the Dig (10 yards)
H running a Seam like his hair was on fire...he needs to make the safety turn his hips and run with him.
Y running a shallow across the formation to the right (basically to move MIKE).
on the back Side, we had Z run a Stop (7 yards)
and F into the right flat

If the seam was run properly, making the Safety turn his hips....the Dig was always open (assuming the Dig was run correctly)...
My son loved this play. The Dig was always open he said it was either open in the "1st" window or "2nd" window but even in HS it was always open.

I still see many youth teams completely ignore the TE.
Robert

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

Offline DumCoach

• Administrator
  • Platinum
  • "What me worry? I'm not far enough behind yet!"
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: DC 46
  • Offense: DC Wing T
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 03:56:46 AM »

Your question is a good one.  If you can draw Cover 0, Cover 1, or Cover 3 that is exactly what running four verticals was designed for.  You should win provided you have four threatening receivers. 

However, my Killer Bee (cover 4) has been repeatedly demonstrated to be ugly against four verticals.  Drags (digs) generally have no more success against it than any other route.  It's not the inside routes that are hard to cover at the MS level.  It's the outside routes.  Why?  Because we'll cover the inside routes first and the outside routes second.  If you can hit the receiver one step before going out of bounds you can complete.  The dig?  My boys would likely INT that as many times as you completed it. 

If you're thinking HS ball, toss in a less accurate QB and 1-2 favorite receivers (almost always slots) and you have MS ball.  I can't say how many opposing coaches run Cover 4 though.  Probably not very many.
"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

Offline JustPlay

• Copper
  • Winners do
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 04:59:43 PM »
I run the KB and we had a tough time with 4 and 5 verticals. It becomes a personnel issue vs scheme. I had small corners last year and while they were fast and ball hawks - you put a 6'2' guy out there and it is a jump ball there is nothing to do but make forceful contact or hurry the Q for a bad ball.
nothing replaces effort. nothing replaces the mind. One with out the other is a waste.