Author Topic: GOOD/GOD - Shoulder/Forearm Blocking  (Read 231 times)

Offline bdjackson

• Copper
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Stack
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
GOOD/GOD - Shoulder/Forearm Blocking
« on: August 05, 2019, 09:29:16 PM »
Cross posting here from Run Blocking Forum.

So I am moving up this year to the Jr. PeeWee (9/10) group and will be bringing along with me the X-Man block as I crowned it last year.

Really just a variation of DP's blocking style with elbows and forearms.

All in all, my assumption is that this blocking style should fit right in with Calande's GOOD/GOD scheme due to the zero splits of the Doublewing we will be running. My main concern is that I am missing something by thinking that the doubles would require the teaching of hands to block effectively. My other concern with the GOOD/GOD system vice SAB that I ran last year is the blitzing allowed by the defense.

I am sure that the zero splits should create a wash right into the LBers lap if we are the more aggressive team. However, I just have some concerns about blitzing lanes that may open due to the double teams. Although, this is probably just early season anxiety and a lack of thorough experience running the DW (1 season, SO FAR) and GOOD/GOD (First Year).

I also feel obligated to say I am not looking to teach hands, unless Calande himself tells me that GOOD/GOD wont work with the blocking style I plan to teach. And even then I would run SAB first. Not to say I don't believe in hands blocking, I know it works, but at this level and what I've seen, I believe in the blocking style I coach. And I would be doing nothing to benefit my players if I spent their time attempting to teach them something I don't believe in.

As always, I value the advice of everyone on the board and look forward to your responses.

-Brian
Being Capable, first begins with being Confident.

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
Re: GOOD/GOD - Shoulder/Forearm Blocking
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 11:02:53 PM »
I also feel obligated to say I am not looking to teach hands, unless Calande himself tells me that GOOD/GOD wont work with the blocking style I plan to teach.

Well Brian, if it makes you feel better, I'm using Steve's blocking rules with my blocking approach even if Steve says it won't work.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline bdjackson

• Copper
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 11:12:14 PM »
Dave, that’s a good a enough answer for me. Doesn’t mean well do it as well, but if it’s sensible enough for you, then I’m all in.

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 11:21:48 PM »
Dave, that’s a good a enough answer for me. Doesn’t mean well do it as well, but if it’s sensible enough for you, then I’m all in.

You should have seen/heard me trying to explain all this to a daddy youth coach on our team, tonight.  None of it made any sense to him and I could see he wasn't really buying in.  He wanted to know how many teams used it.  My guess is 2, Brian.  You and me.  It took me longer to explain it to him than it did to teach it to the players. 

--Dave

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline bdjackson

• Copper
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 05:14:28 AM »
So like we had discussed previously, you are still hand in opposite pec, leading with the elbows correct?

Also, I feel i will have the same issue with my coaches this year as well. But I gather the biggest reason is because I want explosion off the line, cant afford holding penalties, and want to HIT that defender every play. We have to drive the D-Line back and that all starts with aggressively stepping out and effectively hunting the defender. Last year I used the phrase Ass to Grass because my President didn’t really like the term pancake block.

But I think that’s my going to be one of my biggest coaching points this year. Everyone is a hitter, first and foremost. Each offensive play one of these “hitters” gets to carry the ball. Defensively, if you want the ball, then go get it. All in all, once we get our rosters separated, the two drills I want to run the most are Whose Ball and Enduro, or as I like to call it, The Shark Cage.

And for that parent, just tell him another well respected coach has used that style to rack up a .725 lifetime W/L record. Just don’t tell him I’m only 6-2. 😂

Well as always, enjoy your season and I can’t promise I won’t need to reach out to discuss since apparently were the only two crazy enough to run this.

Oh, and hopefully that daddy coach buys in.

- Brian

Offline 32wedge

• Copper
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: 46
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 08:22:48 AM »
You should have seen/heard me trying to explain all this to a daddy youth coach on our team, tonight.  None of it made any sense to him and I could see he wasn't really buying in.  He wanted to know how many teams used it.  My guess is 2, Brian.  You and me.  It took me longer to explain it to him than it did to teach it to the players. 

--Dave

I used it last year.  It worked great.  It creates extremely physical and punishing contact.  Getting hit with elbows hurt.  If you teach those outside elbows to clamp around the defender, there's no way for him to escape a double team.

I will be teaching hands blocking this year, but not because I don't like X-Man blocking.  The Varsity HC is my boss because we have no actual middle school and the 7th/8th grade team is a part of the high school program playing a middle school schedule.  He ordered me to teach hands blocking.  He usually gives me a lot of freedom to do what I want and I have taught hands in the past and hands blocking works great also so I am not fighting him on this.

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 12:45:06 PM »
So like we had discussed previously, you are still hand in opposite pec, leading with the elbows correct?

--You say "pec."  I say "armpit."  But yes.

Last year I used the phrase Ass to Grass because my President didn’t really like the term pancake block.

--Huh?

But I think that’s my going to be one of my biggest coaching points this year. Everyone is a hitter, first and foremost. Each offensive play one of these “hitters” gets to carry the ball. Defensively, if you want the ball, then go get it.

--^This.

the two drills I want to run the most are Whose Ball and Enduro

--I tend to favor those two drills, too.

And for that parent, just tell him another well respected coach has used that style to rack up a .725 lifetime W/L record. Just don’t tell him I’m only 6-2. 😂

--When you give them the stats, they somehow believe that luck was the overriding factor for the decade plus of success.

Well as always, enjoy your season and I can’t promise I won’t need to reach out to discuss since apparently were the only two crazy enough to run this.

--Sure, anytime.  Yep, we're the two X-Men coaches.

Oh, and hopefully that daddy coach buys in.

--I've done this long enough to know that even when you show them, they still won't buy it.

--Dave

The Mission Statement:

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 12:48:26 PM »
I used it last year.  It worked great.  It creates extremely physical and punishing contact.  Getting hit with elbows hurt.  If you teach those outside elbows to clamp around the defender, there's no way for him to escape a double team.

--Good to know.  Also, Ken Friend up in Massachusetts used it when he went undefeated.  So that's a track record of 4.

I will be teaching hands blocking this year, but not because I don't like X-Man blocking.  The Varsity HC is my boss because we have no actual middle school and the 7th/8th grade team is a part of the high school program playing a middle school schedule.  He ordered me to teach hands blocking.  He usually gives me a lot of freedom to do what I want and I have taught hands in the past and hands blocking works great also so I am not fighting him on this.

--I hear ya.  Our varsity header watches me with our Backs and just shakes his head, I'm sure.

--Dave

The Mission Statement:

Offline Millz

• Copper
  • Coaching: 9 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 01:35:21 AM »
Y'all are not the only ones using fist under arm pits, we drill  it every day. Actually the whole coaching staff has bought in. We're running Killer bee also, Jackson we may want to talk. I put so much focus on offense and line play that I haven't had a chance to look at our defense.

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 10:55:11 AM »
Y'all are not the only ones using fist under arm pits, we drill  it every day.

Makes three of us.

—Dave

The Mission Statement:

Offline terrypjohnson

• Copper
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 01:48:43 PM »
Make that four! After you explained it to me, I showed it to my son. He showed it some other kids on the team before conditioning the other day.

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 01:51:19 PM »
Make that four! After you explained it to me, I showed it to my son. He showed it some other kids on the team before conditioning the other day.

Wow, we're taking the nation by storm!  ;D

--Dave

The Mission Statement:

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 03:18:19 PM »
I'd better get hot on the X-man fit. In 3 years, USA Football will be charging $99 to watch their version of it.
Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 03:23:12 PM »
I'd better get hot on the X-man fit. In 3 years, USA Football will be charging $99 to watch their version of it.

That's funny, but hardly a real concern.  USAF is all about convention and anything new/different that didn't originate from them (i.e., someone who "played in the NFL") would never be taught, because that would be acknowledging that there are other/better ways out there.  And we both know that's not going to happen.  Or, they could just steal things like they did Coach Wyatt's Double Wing material and then pass it off as their own.

--Dave
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 03:25:49 PM by CoachDP »

The Mission Statement:

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2019, 04:11:11 PM »

I've started a PowerPoint on it; "X-Men Blocking: An Uncanny Approach."  With apologies to any Marvel comics fans out there.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: