Author Topic: Back to tackling  (Read 545 times)

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
Re: Back to tackling
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2019, 05:38:07 PM »
How’s it going Tony?  I will call you to catch up soon!

Q, Tony called again today and we spoke about pursuit.  Danged if you two aren't channeling each other through me.  lol.  Good Stuff!

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline CoachQ

• Copper
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2019, 06:13:05 PM »
Q, Tony called again today and we spoke about pursuit.  Danged if you two aren't channeling each other through me.  lol.  Good Stuff!

--Dave
😂😂😂

Offline Coach TonyM

• Silver
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2019, 08:35:42 PM »

--Dave
We are smart enough to know what we don't know and the best place to get it..   

Too funny though.  Quincy and I haven't spoken in a couple of months.. gonna remedy that this weekend.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 08:48:25 PM by Coach TonyM »

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2019, 11:28:02 PM »
We are smart enough to know what we don't know and the best place to get it.

Well I dunno if it's the best place, but if it helped...

Great talking with you again today.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2019, 02:38:31 AM »
Here's a post I copied/pasted from a coach on the Huey board re: USAF.  What he says is pretty interesting and accurate.

--Dave

"We have to take NFHS courses to coach in our state (NC), and one of those courses this year was the USA football contact system (Tip of the Spear / Bridge and Pillar). I like the Hawk tackle stuff (the original video that is) and thought that the Pillar stuff seemed interesting enough. Since the video advertises you get 3 free system if you go make an account, I went over and checked it out.

It says to start with the "Coil" video set since it's the foundation. Fair enough. I turn on the first video and it's a 2 minute video about the athletic stance. Ok. I skip ahead a couple of videos down to a drill video... and it's a minute and a half of how to run with a tennis ball between your hands + buy a piece of equipment to do it. Ok, not going to do it, but no biggie. It's for all levels, so I figure I'll move on to the next section which hopefully is a little more advanced. I move to the next section (Uncoil) and watch a little video about how to move your hips, again... ok sure pretty basic but again, it's for all levels. I go find something about the actual pillar technique, but that was it. That's the entire trial. What a waste of time. To subscribe to this would be $100.

If their mission was really "to make a better, safer game" shouldn't this stuff be free? What an absolute load of crap that my state makes me watch what amounted to a commercial for them under the guise of safety. I already was skeptical since they've tried to re-brand tackling at-least 3 times in the last few years (From Heads-Up, to Hawk Tackling to "5 Fights"). I thought it'd be worth spending 30 minutes learning a new technique. Nope. Another scam from an organization who is trying to promote safety."

I agree with most of that assessment. "Bridge" is the o-line technique. Using the hips to "go skeletal" in a hands block. Hips through elbows, through forearms, through wrists, through hands. I used it and it worked with 8th/9th graders.  I wasn't about to shell out $18 for a velcro band that keeps their elbows together, so I just taught "put your elbows in your belly button".

"Pillar" is the D-line technique and it is crap. Arms extended, palms out, thumbs pointing out at 10 and 2 on the clock. Jam palms into top of breast plate and deflect the blocker. I tried it against a 160lb tackle and almost broke my wrist. Utter garbage.

Whole package definitely not worth the $60 I spent.
Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Offline Vince148

• Silver
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2019, 05:29:29 PM »
We start from fit as well, but that fit is a shoulder into the near thigh with the wrap.  From there, we work backwards and add speed.
We start out the Hawk Tackling same way. Start with the defender on a knee and fit into his thigh and wrap and drive.

With the near pec hit, we start from form fits and club and rip. Think it's from a Miami tackling circuit video on youtube.