Author Topic: Back to tackling  (Read 538 times)

Offline DumCoach

• Administrator
  • Platinum
  • "What me worry? I'm not far enough behind yet!"
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: DC 46
  • Offense: DC Wing T
Back to tackling
« on: August 13, 2019, 12:11:57 AM »
So I'm coaching 7-8's in a USA tackling league.  For an open field tackle I have the "Hawk" tackle.  Defensively, It looks like I'm in Jack's 6-3 in "Red" call.  I will need to teach an inside run tackling technique.  What's everybody running?  A YouTube link would be nice.  I'm visual.
"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

Offline patriotsfatboy1

• Gold
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: Back to tackling
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 08:46:05 AM »
I am not sure that I understand the question.  I have taught Hawk tackling and ran Jack's 6-3.  If we are in Red, I assume that you are asking about what the LB's tackling technique will be.  If it is an outside run, then they are going to have near (outside) shoulder to near hip of the back.  It would be the same for an inside run - near shoulder (inside) to near hip of the back.

With 7/8's, I am looking to keep it as simple as possible and as consistent as possible.  It is hard enough for them to learn one technique well.  Start there. 

Is that the question?

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: One Back
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 08:52:45 AM »
My experiance has been same/same.

Wheres your head?  Answer back hip.

If hes comming from straight ahead? Answer, pick a side and "cut" him side ways. * we only attack half a man, so its "hawk tackle" with out that silly roll.

https://youtu.be/_TcTFqlVQLk

It ends up looking like half a tackle and half a bronco mount.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 08:58:34 AM by ZACH »
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline terrypjohnson

• Copper
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 09:18:04 AM »
Thank you, Coach Zach. My team this year much less experienced than last year. This will help them learn quickly!

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 02:12:40 PM »
The USA Football cert materials say that the aiming point on a head on tackle is "near pec". Sounds like a good way to break your neck.
Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Offline DumCoach

• Administrator
  • Platinum
  • "What me worry? I'm not far enough behind yet!"
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: DC 46
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 02:22:19 PM »
I am not sure that I understand the question.  I have taught Hawk tackling and ran Jack's 6-3.  If we are in Red, I assume that you are asking about what the LB's tackling technique will be.  If it is an outside run, then they are going to have near (outside) shoulder to near hip of the back.  It would be the same for an inside run - near shoulder (inside) to near hip of the back.

With 7/8's, I am looking to keep it as simple as possible and as consistent as possible.  It is hard enough for them to learn one technique well.  Start there. 

Is that the question?

We see it the same but those 6-3 coaches I'm working with all agreed that the hawk tackle was an open field tackle and not inside.  When I asked what they used for an inside tackle they got real vague, real fast, but it sounded to me like an "eyes to the sky" chest plate tackle.   

I was rather hoping for something else.
"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 02:26:03 PM »
When I asked what they used for an inside tackle they got real vague, real fast

lol.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 02:40:20 PM »
So I'm coaching 7-8's in a USA tackling league.  For an open field tackle I have the "Hawk" tackle.  Defensively, It looks like I'm in Jack's 6-3 in "Red" call.  I will need to teach an inside run tackling technique.  What's everybody running?  A YouTube link would be nice.  I'm visual.

Grab Somebody !!!! :P
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline JustPlay

• Copper
  • Winners do
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 04:16:14 PM »
What do you teach as far as contain. Inside hip ?
nothing replaces effort. nothing replaces the mind. One with out the other is a waste of time.

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 04:39:15 PM »
Clark, When I coached the 6-3 it was bite the pit (Arm Pit) Which pit depended on the defensive player.

As you know from Jacks D we have some working inside out (backside LB) and Mike and playside LB outside in so the aiming point was different,  Opposite pit.

Most of our disruption and tackles came from our DEs from very hard angles. They closed in a hurry and hunted very well. They mainly worked outside in on inside runs, but their assignment would change with sweeps as they hunted inside out

Robert

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

Offline patriotsfatboy1

• Gold
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 09:23:40 PM »
We see it the same but those 6-3 coaches I'm working with all agreed that the hawk tackle was an open field tackle and not inside.  When I asked what they used for an inside tackle they got real vague, real fast, but it sounded to me like an "eyes to the sky" chest plate tackle.   

I was rather hoping for something else.

I like being clear with kids of all ages. Sometimes that is keeping it simple (usually with less experienced players) and sometimes is it a little more complex.

I figure that have all kids attacking the ball carrier with first guy going near shoulder to near thigh with head behind is easy. Guys 2-11 are ripping and stripping and making sure the ball carrier doesn’t break free. With the 6-3, I focused on first read, gap responsibilities, BCR responsibilities and pass coverage responsibilities for each player. All of that is thinking stuff. I wanted to rep the tackling/aggression enough that they didn’t need to think about that. I just don’t think kids can think about where there head is at all times. Get them to hit with their shoulder and with force, and I figure I am 90% of the way there.

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 10:05:10 PM »
I figure that have all kids attacking the ball carrier with first guy going near shoulder to near thigh with head behind is easy.

Eric, I don't think it's about whether it's easy, or not.  Or whether defenders are "having to think," or not.  For me, it's about biggest bang for the buck.  That's what I'm going to teach.  I'm going to teach "the main thing" as "the main thing."  We can tackle successfully without teaching "near shoulder to near thigh."  If we couldn't teach tackling successfully without it, then "near to near" would be a mandatory teach for me.  In whatever fundamental I'm teaching, I spend the bulk of my time on the "single biggest teaching point."  Once I have it, I'm going on the the "2nd biggest teaching point."  If we can be successful without teaching certain aspects of fundamentals, we won't teach them.  We'll just focus on the "must haves."  And if I'm playing a game today, and teaching a player for the first time how to tackle, "near to near" would never be on the list for me.

We have a youth header now spending his time on linebackers clubbing and ripping.  The players don't understand the concept and execute it poorly.  I've never had a defense that I felt needed to know "clubbing and ripping" (even at the high school level).  And despite my lack of appreciation for the "club and rip," we've had very good defenses despite my shortsightedness in that regard.  As a matter of fact, when we had the number 1-ranked defense in the conference at my last high school, all of our concepts and fundamentals were from what I'd taught with my youngest youth teams.

--Dave
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 11:49:33 AM by CoachDP »

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 01:30:38 AM »
The USA Football cert materials say that the aiming point on a head on tackle is "near pec". Sounds like a good way to break your neck.
I don't know about that, but it's much too high.  Like what, you're going to dance?

Offline patriotsfatboy1

• Gold
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 10:26:06 AM »
Eric, I don't think it's about whether it's easy, or not.  Or whether defenders are "having to think," or not.  It's about biggest bang for the buck.  That's what I'm going to teach.  I'm going to teach "the main thing" as "the main thing."  We can tackle successfully without teaching "near shoulder to near thigh."  If we couldn't teach tackling successfully without it, then "near to near" would be a mandatory teach for me.  In whatever fundamental I'm teaching, I spend the bulk of my time on the "single biggest teaching point."  Once I have it, I'm going on the the "2nd biggest teaching point."  If we can be successful without teaching certain aspects of fundamentals, we won't teach them.  We'll just focus on the "must haves."  And if I'm playing a game today, and teaching a player for the first time how to tackle, "near to near" would never be on the list for me.

We have a youth header now spending his time on linebackers clubbing and ripping.  The players don't understand the concept and execute it poorly.  I've never had a defense that I felt needed to know "clubbing and ripping" (even at the high school level).  And despite my lack of appreciation for the "club and rip," we've had very good defenses despite my shortsightedness in that regard.  As a matter of fact, when we had the number 1-ranked defense in the conference at my last high school, all of our concepts and fundamentals were from what I'd taught with my youngest youth teams.

--Dave

So, what is #1 teaching item for you?

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2019, 10:30:52 AM »
So, what is #1 teaching item for you?

For which fundamental?

—Dave

The Mission Statement: