Author Topic: A Bad defensive practice  (Read 199 times)

Offline JustPlay

• Copper
  • Winners do
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Coordinator
A Bad defensive practice
« on: August 13, 2019, 04:42:05 PM »
Last night I ran defense for for the first time since our scrimmage (will crushed the other team which was very poor) . I run the Who's ball drill and I see effort from my best players but the rest of the team was screwing around.  So I walk over to the section who obviously thinks that football is easy and they are amazing. I tell them they need to struggle more - fight harder for that take away.  They keep going but there is no increase in effort. Some boys are dialed in - Some are just taking up space. They get a drink and we go to tackle fit and finish - on the knees  - step by step gator roll tackle  - again I get the same bunch of kids screwing around. Mind you I love when kids are doing what they should be doing and having a great time, but these 1st years still dont understand focus and effort. So I pair the first years with the seasoned vets of 1 year. Run the drill again. Same thing  - So I am about to lose my cool. Tell every body that we have to function together as a team. We do everything as a team. I explain I can not have half the players in LALA land and the other players dialed in or someone is going to get jacked up. So I tell them we are playing Simon Says. Every body in push up position and I get down and tell them they have to follow me. So we do push ups on me till the kids are all in sync with me or they are exhausted. - My arms still hurt today.

I hate when I can not motivate kids successfully. 
nothing replaces effort. nothing replaces the mind. One with out the other is a waste.

Offline coachmiket

• Silver
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
Re: A Bad defensive practice
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 04:49:18 PM »
So what will you do differently next time this happens?

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 05:18:17 PM »
LTHS.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 05:19:50 PM »
these 1st years still dont understand focus and effort.

Then give them something which requires great effort and has no down time.

--Dave

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 05:20:55 PM »
Here is one of the replies I have received this season.  I'm not "Feeling it" Coach. 

Between Vacations, Sickness, and No Call-No Show.  We are as prepared for our first game as we can be.  I will cobble together those that arrive and we will play.  I already know I will be at 13 kids for the game.  Hopefully they all come.

I feel your pain

:(

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 05:23:32 PM »
So I tell them we are playing Simon Says. Every body in push up position and I get down and tell them they have to follow me. So we do push ups on me till the kids are all in sync with me or they are exhausted. - My arms still hurt today.

COD works better, plus I don't get tired.

--Dave

The Mission Statement:

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 08:00:59 PM »
Kids screw around when they don't have anything to do/aren't kept busy and aren't being coached.  The challenge at the youth level is having enough coaches who know how to do this while dealing with 20-30 kids.  With 30 players and a 5-man staff, that's 1 coach for every 6 players (an outstanding coach-to-player ratio).  Problem is, it's usually 1 coach doing all the work and instead of having groups of 6 or so players in one small group, they're trying to coach the entire team at once. 

On the other hand, if all 5 coaches on your staff stay busy, and the player groups are small and they still can't keep their player's focus, then they probably aren't a very good coach in the first place.  Look around and see which kids are spinning around looking at the sky, or which coaches are yelling at their group and you'll usually find your guy who's struggling.

--Dave

The Mission Statement:

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 08:36:57 PM »
Dave:  Just going to put this out there. 

Thus far I have had,  at best, 13 kids at any given practice.  Doing drills that give the most bang for the buck.  I have sa Mom assisting and I cant tell you how many times she is heard telling kids to knock it off or Pay Attention.  Add insult to injury, most of the ones getting caught are the "Experienced" players.  Last night she separated two kids who just couldn't seem to keep their mouths shut and hands off each other.

If I get "The Butterfly"  or "Squirrel"  effect doing 10 yard Shuffle Drills, Bag Drills, and Sumo I assure you their attention span is less than a Pecker Gnats! 

These are 6th and 7th Graders.

Sigh

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 09:45:08 PM »
Dave:  Just going to put this out there. 

Thus far I have had,  at best, 13 kids at any given practice.  Doing drills that give the most bang for the buck.  I have sa Mom assisting

Scott, you have one coach: You.  I'm not counting the mom.  ::)
A 1-to-13 ratio is not good.  You have some challenges.

--Dave
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 09:50:09 PM by CoachDP »

The Mission Statement:

Offline bdjackson

• Copper
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Stack
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 08:33:27 AM »
I have to echo the same sentiment as Dave.

My recommendation reading the post initially was break them up into smaller groups until I realized it’s just you. I don’t think there is any easy way to slice it, it’s gonna be difficult. I’m not sure if you have Calandes drill manual but he has some pretty good recommendations about running plod practice. However, I’m not sure how reasonable having a time tiered approach would be for you or the kids.

Either way, god speed and good luck coach

-Brian
Being Capable, first begins with being Confident.

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 09:30:32 AM »
Im gonna leave this here. Might help. DP is correct you need to show them something that requires effort then show them some reinforcement

https://youtu.be/ouuv2smPSX0
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 10:19:56 AM »
If I get "The Butterfly"  or "Squirrel"  effect doing 10 yard Shuffle Drills, Bag Drills, and Sumo I assure you their attention span is less than a Pecker Gnats!

I understand the S.A.S.  That’s applicable to even high school players.   You’re short-handed.  And when you’re short-handed, the opportunity for players screwing around multiplies.  I’d make sure I’ve pre-set as many drills, as possible.  That way, there’s less down time.  And if there’s bored kids in your group of 13, have mom-coach take those players and COD them while you’re teaching your group.  Kids need constant stimulus to keep their attention.  If you don’t, you’ll lose them.

—Dave

The Mission Statement:

Offline JustPlay

• Copper
  • Winners do
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 05:49:31 PM »
Sorry for the late response. I had a mandatory USA FOOTBALL  - training session from 5-8 last night - It was half "Save the game!" and the other half was focused on prioritizing creating better humans by teaching all kids all the skills not just their natural position. There were some additional coaching thoughts as well. I would give it a 5 out of 10.

Back to poor coaching.

After I was done with my pity party and was thinking what to do better - It comes down to first and foremost - quit having the HC try and teach during my time. We are very different. I am ridge with my time. When doing drills - I give my players a 5 count down to get back in line for the next rep. I will worry about the player not doing it correct in the right time - I am trying to install in each player that failure is part of life  - and move on at full speed. The HC likes to stop the drill and point out the player who is doing it wrong and correct it. Messes with my flow and my build up of intensity.

Second - i will teach new technique and assignments at the beginning of practice.
Third - I will not show any emotion to the team except excitement and energy. Its to easy to get pissed. I will save it for the drive home.
Fourth - I will hold the players accountable for their actions by explaining to them their is a reaction for all things good and bad. People like to say consequences - but that focus is on the negative. If you decide not to go 100% you will go again till it is 100% as will the entire team.

I will let you know how tonight goes  - It could have been just one of those days, but I put in on the forum because I know I am not the only one.

nothing replaces effort. nothing replaces the mind. One with out the other is a waste.

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 06:20:23 PM »
I had a mandatory USA FOOTBALL  - training session from 5-8 last night - It was half "Save the game!" and the other half was focused on prioritizing creating better humans by teaching all kids all the skills not just their natural position.

--I've never really understood what they want from that.  Or just how they think it should be implemented.  On one hand, my linemen always got to run the ball in practice when my ball-carriers had to practice their tackling (those that played both ways).  So they always have a chance to try a new skill.  However, if they think we have the TIME and the MANPOWER to go off-script and have practices where it's everyone's turn to try something else, then they should have their head examined.  That's what clinics and camps are for.

I would give it a 5 out of 10.

--Probably a much higher score than I'd have given it.

I will not show any emotion to the team except excitement and energy. Its to easy to get pissed. I will save it for the drive home.

--Correct.  Very easy.  And really not needed.  Good for you.

It could have been just one of those days, but I put in on the forum because I know I am not the only one.

--You are far from being the only one.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: