Author Topic: Power to the left  (Read 401 times)

Offline spidermac

• Gold
  • Coaching: 7 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Pistol
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: Power to the left
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2019, 10:53:15 AM »
Okay...I am back to defend myself :P

First, I like my tea black...

Second...I may be crazy...

Third...I would be running DW this season, except for the crazy rules for Rookie Tackle...they have taken away my capacity to get the lines of force I want/need to run DW...

Okay, so back to why I ran the bruiser on counter...simple...he was going to our left...the defenses right, where they put their less capable defenders...and the kid struck fear into opposing defenses (and offenses, he play Left OLB)...
None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

Offline CoachSugg

• Bronze
  • Work Hard! Play Hard!!
  • Coaching: 9 & Under
  • Defense: 6-2
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2019, 03:27:03 PM »
I went in to the season knowing i wanted to run the Double Wing, just wasn't sure which method I was going to use to go about it.  JJ, Murphy, Brisson, Gregory, etc.

After practicing for a week and figuring out my personnel.  I'm running a Double Wing out of 2 formations.  DTDW w/ offset FB to left.  And then Gun DW w/ offset FB to right.

I'm not flipping the OL.  We run Blast R/L, Sweep R/L, Power to the Right, Counter to the Left, and Wedge.  Pull BSG on blast, both G on Sweep, BSG and BSTE on Power, BSG on Counter.  So both Gs and my LTE have to be able to pull. 

Simplified it for the OL, while being able to attack the entire field effectively out of both.  We'll also have tags.  Under, Over, On, etc.
Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

Online coachgregory

• Gold
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Other
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2019, 05:57:30 PM »
So how many coaches here run power both ways routinely. My understanding was that Run Power till they cry, and when they shift run counter. I have two solid LWB candidates and am trying to determine if I should flip/sub them and run right or try to run power both ways.

At this point in the season, I’m only worried about getting 34 Power and wedge going for our scrimmage on Thursday, so power left is the least of my concern. But figured while I got all these wonderful minds available I might as well get some first hand experience.

-Brian

Run power, power sweep, and power pass in both directions.

You can do a lot by sticking with just the above.

Jack

Jack
Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus