• "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
Focused
« on: August 15, 2019, 05:43:27 PM »
So we are ranked #22 right now by highschoolOT.  I have no idea whether we should be higher, lower, or non-existent as I haven't watched 4A competition since I coached it in 2016. 

In 2016, I was the JV header at GHHS.  We went 8-1 on the season, averaging 31 points per game.  The one loss was against the school I'm coaching at now (MCHS).  The score was 34-28.  They beat us on a punt return in the 2nd Half.  It was their only score in that half.  Anyhoos, as I was going through my present team's Hudl account, I found they keep game footage for the previous 4 years.  And that game was still in the queue.  So I sat back and watched the game and the seniors that I am coaching now on my team, were then freshmen who played for the other team.  An interesting mix of emotions as I watched young men from 4 years ago that I still have relationships with, take on young men that I have just formed relationships with.  Funny how that works...

I have sent out e-mails or texts to each parent of my RBs, in hopes of getting a chance to meet with them before the season.  (Think of it as a mini-parents meeting.)  We'll see how this goes and how receptive they are to it (and to me). 

We have a short (90 minute) field practice in the morning before hitting the weight room.  Saturday morning is more of the same with our JVs on the field from 7:30am until 10am.  After that, weights.  Then in the afternoon the Varsity loads the bus and travels outta town for a scrimmage event.  I say "event" because it's funny how some of the games are publicized as a pre-season match-up between two A-List teams (#22 us and #7 them).  We'll see how all this goes.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
Re: Focused
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 06:47:48 AM »
DP

Funny how that goes. We played our Spring game against my old team, it was bitter sweet(we got our butts whooped). There was a lot of emotion & gratitude from my former players.

Good luck Scrimmage hard & remind them to have fun.

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh