Author Topic: Ok, so we’re all in on DC’s RnS  (Read 129 times)

Offline SJS

• Copper
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: DC Run and Shoot
  • Title: Coordinator
Ok, so we’re all in on DC’s RnS
« on: August 17, 2019, 10:32:08 PM »
Longtime reader, first time poster. I’m starting this thread to keep a written journal of our progression with installing DC’s RnS.

Let me tell you about our team. We’re a 5th grade team in an 8 team league. We will play 7 regular season games and then have a single elimination playoff. This year we got a bye our first week (someone had to get it), and will play our Big Rival the second week of the season as our first game.

2nd grade: developmental season, no playoffs. We went 5-1-1 running Mr. Cisar’s UBSW and wide tackle six.

3rd grade: went 7-1 in regular season, getting smashed by Big Rival 20-0. Won the championship, beating Big Rival handily in the final game on their field. Ran UBSW and wide tackle six again. Started seeing DLs submarining our wedge, honestly won the championship game because we started cut blocking in that game, made DL apprehensive, allowed us to get go ahead score on a wedge play.

4th grade: went 8-0 regular season, also won the championship again. Ran UBSW with some modifications that allowed for some passing (created a split end) and ran Jet series as well. Big Rival gave us some trouble in championship game because they made adjustment outside to corral 16 Power and 43 Reverse, we adjusted to running those off tackle and won 27-12. Ran wide tackle 6 at the start of the year, but struggled with our DEs reading and running disciplined L routes, switched to a 4-4 and had good success.

So this year, the word is out about our USBW, even though we’ve been morphing away from it over the last two years. Teams are sharing notes. For a long time I’ve wanted to run a flexbone attack, and actually drew up a playbook. We went through our league mandated conditioning practices, and literally on Sunday night, before Monday afternoon practice, is was reading this website and stumbled on DC’s RnS. I was hooked! What appealed to me?

- wide splits. I’ve followed Leach’s offenses and understand the rationale. I honestly never considered it at all for a youth team. But I love that by essentially pass blocking on every play, I don’t have to install pass and run blocking. Also, our personnel can execute the RnS blocking scheme much better than the GOB plan our flex one was going to use

- basically two plays, both of which use the defenses alignment against them. The trick will be getting the receivers and QB on the same page

- pass play is basic, but looks complicated. Wingback motion adds to that concept. Receivers picked up the hand signals by Day #2. We have had some difficulty with route discipline, but have been working hard on this. We need to identify when to run hitches, they are our easiest route, even better than the TE slant.

- run play is lethal. What DC said about the QB run was no joke. We are averaging 20+ yards. It’s the true wild card in the offense, and made sooooooooooo much better with the wide splits.

So after putting in one day of flexbone, we switched to RnS and have had two weeks to put this in. Because of our 1st week bye, we will have another 6 practices. Our offensive line in flourishing, we simply don’t get beat inside at all. Do we leave C gap open sometimes? Sure, but the DE/OLB out there doesn’t have enough time to really bother us. We get the ball out in less than 3 secs, and we are completing about 60% of our passes.

We have put in most of the DC RnS playbook:

- Pass
- Run
- Both of the plays above with wingback motion
- Jet sweeps to wingback, slot, and Flanker
- QB keeper off wingback motion
- Inside Screen
- Outside Screen (on our Screen plays, we run it to both sides, QB makes the decision which side he’s throwing to based on alignment at snap)

On defense we are going with JJ’s 3-3 Stack, mainly because it’s what the high school wants us to use (they run a 3-3-5 that is implemented differently). We have tons of athletes, the pressure our stackers and DL get is really impressive.

We will be going no huddle, which we did last year as well. We had a code and wrist coaches, but found that one team (Little Rival) was really adept at figuring out our code. Against Little Rival we went back to a traditional huddle and cruised to a win. I like that RnS can be signaled in (we will have 3 coaches giving signals, two of them will be sham signals), and find that yelling out which zones to attack reinforces the WR’s reads/routes.

Our QB is the best running back in the league, hands down. But he also has an excellent arm. Our backup QB is smart, a very good runner, and has an accurate but average strength arm. But QB #2 can make all the necessary throws. We have two excellent slots, two excellent wingbacks, one good Flanker, and one average Flanker. Our TEs have been the problems, we have four kids trying out the TE position, but only one is making catches. We are moving one of the stud slots to TE on Monday.

Anyways, I’ll post periodically to keep you all updated, if just to chronicle the journey and bounce ideas of you all. Three of our coaches are high school assistants, in the two weeks since we’ve been running RnS, our Air Raid offense high school has gone to mega splits because of how our 5th grade has looked. I help coach the freshman team, we scrimmaged another school and our 1st team gave up zero sacks in about 30 plays today. Bottom line, wide splits work.

Anyways, sorry for mega post, look forward to talking to you guys as we go forward.

Offline DumCoach

• Administrator
  • Platinum
  • "What me worry? I'm not far enough behind yet!"
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: DC 46
  • Offense: DC Wing T
Re: Ok, so we’re all in on DC’s RnS
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 07:50:16 AM »
WOW!  GREAT!

Your whole season though will ride on throwing over the blitz to the TE's.  Blitz is the only defensive option.  As soon as you can hit the TE on slant versus blitz, they are DONE!  That's it!  You are two TE's away from your championship and no one will figure out what you're doing.

Please keep us posted!   :)
"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

Online CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 09:24:08 AM »
We have put in most of the DC RnS playbook:

- Pass
- Run
- Both of the plays above with wingback motion
- Jet sweeps to wingback, slot, and Flanker
- QB keeper off wingback motion
- Inside Screen
- Outside Screen (on our Screen plays, we run it to both sides, QB makes the decision which side he’s throwing to based on alignment at snap)

--Coach, so how many plays are there in DC's RnS?  If the above listed is "most" of what's in the playbook, is the "Pass" different from the "inside screen" or "outside screen?"  Is the "Run" different from the "Jet sweeps?"

On defense we are going with JJ’s 3-3 Stack, mainly because it’s what the high school wants us to use (they run a 3-3-5 that is implemented differently). We have tons of athletes, the pressure our stackers and DL get is really impressive.

--The high school concerns itself with what defense a 5th-grade team runs?

Three of our coaches are high school assistants, in the two weeks since we’ve been running RnS, our Air Raid offense high school has gone to mega splits because of how our 5th grade has looked.

--Not sure what constitutes a "mega split," but we're an Air Raid team and I thought that was the defacto approach.  Regardless, your high school changed its splits because of how your 5th-grade team lined up?  Interesting.

I help coach the freshman team, we scrimmaged another school and our 1st team gave up zero sacks in about 30 plays today. Bottom line, wide splits work.

--Absolutely they do, when the defense is willing to let the offense dictate splits and widen out.

Anyways, sorry for mega post, look forward to talking to you guys as we go forward.

--I certainly look forward to reading more.  Thanks Coach.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline SJS

• Copper
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: DC Run and Shoot
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 10:45:19 AM »
WOW!  GREAT!

Your whole season though will ride on throwing over the blitz to the TE's.  Blitz is the only defensive option.  As soon as you can hit the TE on slant versus blitz, they are DONE!  That's it!  You are two TE's away from your championship and no one will figure out what you're doing.

Please keep us posted!   :)

Will do. Totally agree on the TEs.